LighthouseKeepers.com

Florida LHs to miss?

Posted By: CarolZ

Florida LHs to miss? - 01/09/01 03:40 PM

I'm going to be in Florida on business in February and have about 2.5 days available for lighthousing. I've been reading up on the FL LH and I was wondering which ones I have to see and which ones I shouldn't waste my time on. It seems Cape Canaveral may be a little hard to get too so I may skip that one. Any other hints?
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Florida LHs to miss? - 01/09/01 04:54 PM

Hi Carol,
Here's a good reference for the Fort Lauderdale area.
http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum15/HTML/000144.html
- Bob
Posted By: Joanne

Re: Florida LHs to miss? - 01/09/01 05:33 PM

Hi Carol,

St. Augustine is a beauty and the old part of town is a museum in itself. It's a beautiful place to visit. Ponce de Leon Inlet (about 1 hour south of St. Augustine) is great because of the lightstation buildings and the fresnel lens museum.
Posted By: Nana

Re: Florida LHs to miss? - 01/09/01 07:06 PM

Hi,
Am at work reading this post...I will write more later..But, my first question is where will you be and what are the days of the week you will be here.
Derith

PS
You will not be able to get on Patrick Air Force Base to see the Cape Canaveral light unless you are military...Then it will be hard as it is in a restricted area.

[This message has been edited by Nana (edited 01-09-2001).]
Posted By: Ed14

Re: Florida LHs to miss? - 01/09/01 10:16 PM

I ditto St Augustine and Ponce DeLeon. I do believe that Ponce is undergoing some renovation to the observation landing. I'm not sure whether you can climb it at the present time. Can anyone down that way confirm this?
Posted By: oseabee

Re: Florida LHs to miss? - 01/09/01 10:30 PM

Be sure not to miss St.Augustine It is a real beauty and they have the new gift shop open,a real jewel. Bill O'Brien oseabee
Posted By: mombo

Re: Florida LHs to miss? - 01/09/01 11:51 PM

Carol: Lots of great, and pretty current, info here on the Florida lights: http://users.erols.com/lthouse/home.htm
Posted By: Joanne

Re: Florida LHs to miss? - 01/09/01 11:58 PM

I went to Ponce in late October and the lighthouse was available to climb. When I was there in April it had scaffolding, but it seems to be finished now.

Joanne
Posted By: NiagaraLady

Re: Florida LHs to miss? - 01/10/01 07:56 AM

Depending on where you are in Florida I would definitely suggest St. Augustine and Ponce. If you are near Jacksonville, you can view Amelia Island. It is a coast guard station and you aren't allowed access, but you can see it very well from the road. Have fun lighthousing!
Posted By: fllights

Re: Florida LHs to miss? - 01/11/01 03:56 AM

Ponce is still currently under renovation.
Posted By: TGIFIF

Re: Florida LHs to miss? - 01/11/01 06:41 AM

Carol, where in Fl are you going to be? That will make a big difference on which lighthouses to go after?
And don't forget to bring your swim suit!

TGIFIF
Posted By: Rock

Re: Florida LHs to miss? - 01/18/01 07:04 PM

Hoping to see Sanibel Island light while playing around the Ft. Myers area all next week...makes owning the LE more pleasurable for me when I've seen the real thing.
© 2024 Collector Forums