LighthouseKeepers.com

Key West II

Posted By: Lightseeker

Key West II - 03/14/04 09:50 AM

So, where did YOU go for INTERMISSION?

We went here:

Back at the light . . . although the museum is fairly modest, the quarters are nicely maintained.

They DO have a first order Fresnel on display:

The lens in the light itself is a 3rd Order.

The best light of all, though, - corny as it may be - was the light of the setting sun from Mallory Square . . .

I hope those Regional attendees also visiting Key West enjoy it as much as we did. I know you'll have a great time at the Regional.

Bruce
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Key West II - 03/14/04 01:05 PM

The pictures from both your threads are fabulous! Great job! Thank you for sharing them.

smile Bob smile
Posted By: DMancini

Re: Key West II - 03/14/04 02:55 PM

Bruce--great photos!

Key West is one of my favorite places in the world. You brought back a lot of memories with your photos.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: eskilady

Re: Key West II - 03/14/04 05:45 PM

What beautiful pictures on both of your threads!! Almost as good as being there in person. And even better because I have never been there in person. Thanks so much for sharing them!! smile

Eskilady
Posted By: RFoster

Re: Key West II - 03/14/04 09:47 PM

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful images with us. They are absolutely gorgeous.

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Posted By: mombo

Re: Key West II - 03/15/04 02:28 AM

Thanks for the great photos Bruce! Are there still cats at the Hemingway house?
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Key West II - 03/15/04 02:49 AM

Where did that first order Fresnel lens come from? Thanks for the photos -- and WOW what a sunset!
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: Key West II - 03/15/04 04:58 AM

Nice job, Bruce... Thanks for sharing the images, it brings back memories!!

Re: Key West II - 03/15/04 06:26 AM

Thanks for all the kind words.

Sue, there ARE still many cats at the Hemingway House - about sixty, we were told. Most are descendants of those that lived there with Hemingway, and about half have six toes on their front paws - an abnormality that dates back to the original cats.

John, I believe the lady at the museum told me where the 1st order lens came from, but I'll be darned if I can remember. The sunset WAS amazing. I try to enhance some pictures with PhotoShop, but that one's a straight, point-and-shoot photo.

While in Key West we also visited the Butterfly Conservancy's Butterfly House, which yielded some nice photos. I may post a few in the "Nothing to do with Anything" Forum if I get a chance.

Bruce
Posted By: Lighthouse Joe

Re: Key West II - 03/15/04 03:35 PM

Excellent photos Bruce!

Key West was the first lighthouse I every visited. I have got to get back there one day.
Posted By: MtnHkr

Re: Key West II - 03/15/04 05:53 PM

Wonderful photos! That sunset photo sure looks like a winner to me.

Bert smile
Posted By: Lorie Roe

Re: Key West II - 03/16/04 09:38 PM

Very nice pics Bruce. John and I had a great time in Key West a few years ago. It makes me want to go back.

Thanks for the memories. wink
Posted By: seagirt

Re: Key West II - 03/16/04 10:46 PM

I agree with Bob Hope. wink laugh Nice photos. I especially like that sunset...very picturesque. I want to go to Key West!!!
Posted By: kikigl

Re: Key West II - 03/18/04 12:43 AM

Really great photos! It's been a while since I have been there. After seeing your photos I think it's time to go back!
Posted By: wheland

Re: Key West II - 03/25/04 09:14 PM

Bruce,

Great photos. I'm working on my FL trip. I should be posting them later today or tomorrow.

The First Order Fresnel Lens on display at Key West was originally at Sombrero Key Lighthouse (also known as Dry Banks). It's situated about 5 miles south of Marathon, FL.

Dennis

Re: Key West II - 03/26/04 05:03 AM

Dennis,

Now that you mentioned the name Sombrero Key, I recall that the lady in the shop did tell me that. Could not remember when John asked the question.

I look forward to seeing your pix.

Bruce
© 2024 Collector Forums