LighthouseKeepers.com

Little Sable on Independence Day

Posted By: DocJ44

Little Sable on Independence Day - 07/14/07 03:17 PM

Last week Scot and I did a volunteer tour of duty at Little Sable Lighthouse. One of our duties as volunteers at Little Sable was to decorate it for Independence Day. Here are a couple pictures of what we did.

We had over 2000 visitors to the lighthouse last weekend (Wed-Sunday). We also had the opportunity to go into the Ludington North Pier light which is now open for tours. I'm still sorting through pictures and I'm trying to get ready to leave for Ocracoke tomorrow, but I wanted to share these while the holiday was still recent.
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: Little Sable on Independence Day - 07/14/07 03:31 PM

Nice decorations! Great job! Great pics!

Looking forward to the Ludington Pier pics.
Posted By: 5lights

Re: Little Sable on Independence Day - 07/15/07 10:28 PM

Looks nice...Great job Doc John!
Looking forward to more!!! smile
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Little Sable on Independence Day - 07/16/07 03:49 PM

Great job Doc! What a great way to celebrate the 4th!
Bob

ps Thanks for the wonderful package in the postcard exchange.

Re: Little Sable on Independence Day - 07/28/07 05:58 PM

Here are few more of my favorites picture I took:

I like this one I this one with the twisted cottonwood.

One of the advantages of having the key to the tower is you can go up anytime you want. Here's a view from the gallery of the sunset over Lake Michigan.

A little later, I took this one. The little white dot to the left of the tower about halfway to the edge of the picture is Venus.

And here is a picture of the lens. It is a third order fixed and flashing lens. As you can see, the upper third of the lens is actually separate from the bottom. This upper third portion used to rotate producing a flash characteristic that was steady on for 25 secs and then a more brilliant beam for 5 secs. The current flash characteristic with the electric bulb is 5 secs off - 1 sec on. I timed this picture to coincide with the flash of the light.

Posted By: Lorie Roe

Re: Little Sable on Independence Day - 07/28/07 06:05 PM

Nice pics Doc. I love the night shots. Is the tower open for climbing any time or only on certain occasions?
Posted By: LADYBUG

Re: Little Sable on Independence Day - 07/28/07 07:35 PM

Hi John,
Love the pictures, especially the one with the twisted cottonwood. Got your postcard. Tell Scott and Mom I said hello. Take care and enjoy your summer.
Darlene

Re: Little Sable on Independence Day - 07/30/07 05:03 AM

Last year was the first year that Little Sable was open to climb and it was open weekends during the summer. This year it is open summer months(I believe though Labor Day weekend) but is now open 5 days a week Wednesday though Sunday from 10AM to 5PM.
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: Little Sable on Independence Day - 07/30/07 03:34 PM

Great pics Doc !!!

I love the sunsets. cool
© 2024 Collector Forums