LighthouseKeepers.com

Touring Hillsboro Inlet

Posted By: Lorie Roe

Touring Hillsboro Inlet - 04/02/10 05:02 AM

John and I happened to be able to spend one day in Fort Lauderdale, FL on March 13. We were lucky to be able to join with the Hillsboro Lighthouse Preservation Society (HLPS) for one of their boat tours to Hillsboro Inlet lighthouse.

The first 3 photos were taken as we were approaching the dock. It is a US Coast Guard dock and you have to get special permission to dock there.

These pipes are part of the dredge system to remove sand to keep the Inlet channel open.

John and I are ready to enter the lighthouse for our climb to the top.

Re: Touring Hillsboro Inlet - 04/02/10 05:19 AM

Looking through the lighthouse window on the way to the top.

Climbing the stairs.

Looking down on the old generator and radio building (behind the flag pole) which is now a "mini-museum".

View from the top.

Re: Touring Hillsboro Inlet - 04/02/10 05:34 AM

U.S.C.G. bell dated 1923. The bronze plaque honors all the head keepers and their dates of service.

Looking up from the beach.

Barefoot Mailman Statue. This is in honor of the barefoot mailman that would walk the beaches between Palm Beach and the Miami River settlement. It was 40 miles on foot and 28 miles on small boats. A round trip to deliver the mail took Monday through Saturday. This mail service lasted from 1885-1892.

Leaving the lighthouse on the Intracoastal Waterway.

Thanks to HLPS for a making this trip possible.
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Touring Hillsboro Inlet - 04/02/10 06:22 AM

Great photos and great job reporting, Lorie. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Touring Hillsboro Inlet - 04/02/10 06:36 AM

One thing I should have mentioned is that the head keeper's and assistant keeper's houses are located next to the lighthouse (in the first picture). These 2 houses are now used for "R & R" time for Coast guard officers and their families.
Posted By: wvlights0

Re: Touring Hillsboro Inlet - 04/02/10 03:17 PM

Thanks for the pictures Lorie. Looks like you had great weather.
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: Touring Hillsboro Inlet - 04/02/10 04:09 PM

Great pics, Lorie !!!
Posted By: wheland

Re: Touring Hillsboro Inlet - 04/02/10 04:28 PM

Thanks for the tour. I've seen this LH - but only from afar and through the trees.

I'd love to be there for one of the tours - probably won't happen though.

Dennis
Posted By: Weasel58

Re: Touring Hillsboro Inlet - 04/02/10 04:50 PM

Wow looks like the rust has really set in, since the last time I visited. Of course I haven't been out there since 03.
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: Touring Hillsboro Inlet - 04/02/10 04:56 PM

Thanks, Lori, for sharing and bringing us along. It is really nice to see the lighthouse close-up and personal!
Posted By: kory63

Re: Touring Hillsboro Inlet - 04/02/10 06:35 PM

Lori, Great photos and commentary!! Thanks for sharing!!!
Rick
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Touring Hillsboro Inlet - 04/03/10 02:40 PM

Nice job Lorie! New views and an insights for me.
Posted By: grandmaR

Re: Touring Hillsboro Inlet - 04/03/10 07:37 PM

Thanks for the photos - and the information on why one might want to visit closer than the little park next to the inlet.

I've mostly seen this lighthouse from the Atlantic after the first time we tried to go down the ICW to Ft. Lauderdale from Fort Pierce. Never again - there are over 20 bridges to be opened on that section.

We went from the ICW out the inlet once by mistake. I didn't take a photo at that time, but here's one of a sailboat going through the drawbridge

and then the inlet with the sailboat going out and a power boat coming in.

A half dozen boaters die each year using South Florida Inlets. Boaters should have good seamanship skills before using inlets. Strong currents and shoaling (in the inlets and just beyond the jetties) are common Florida inlet dangers.
Posted By: bcatfan

Re: Touring Hillsboro Inlet - 05/01/10 06:24 PM

Great shots! Hillsboro is definitely on my "To See" list as my grandparents used to vacation there many years ago.
© 2024 Collector Forums