LighthouseKeepers.com

New Orleans? Mobile? The Gulf Coast?

Posted By: Webmaster

New Orleans? Mobile? The Gulf Coast? - 11/20/03 02:42 AM

The Chidester family is flying into New Orleans airport on Sunday afternoon and we need to be at a gathering of in-laws on Thanksgiving Day in Tupleo MS. We'll then fly back to Phoenix from Memphis on Saturday.

I'm looking for ideas on what to see and do along the Gulf Coast. It's been 30 years since I was in New Orleans and we could spend a couple of days there or we could head over to Mobile to Point Clear or elsewhere along the coast.

What are you're 'Don't Miss' recommendations in this area that can be seen in 2-3 days?

Lighthouses are probably NOT the big thing on this outing, although if we had a photo op at New Canal, Biloxi or Mobile Point, it might be nice.
Posted By: Dave H

Re: New Orleans? Mobile? The Gulf Coast? - 11/20/03 03:44 AM

If you want a photo op of West Rigolets better think about getting it now. Sounds as if it is on its way out.

In NOLA, you need to visit the Jackson Square area, which will include the Farmers Market and the Cafe du Monde (gotta get them beignettes). The setting at New Canal is pretty and really isn't a long drive from downtown (maybe 15 minutes). On the West Bank is a really neat Mardi Gras museum where you can see many of the floats and costumes worn. The history of and stories about Mardi Gras are always fascinating. While you are down by Jackson Square, you might want to take a riverboat cruise. You can go up river to the world class zoo, or go down river towards the battlefield where the last battle of the war of 1812 was fought (Ruthie may still have some newspaper clippings about that one - call her). In addition to the fantastic zoo, City Park is also a great place to visit.

Don't pass up the shopping centers, with daquiri stands at most entrances. Of course, there are also drive thru stands too . . . . . . . .

A visit to one of the plantations is also interesting. Oak Alley is one that sticks in my memory as a neat place.

Have fun.

Re: New Orleans? Mobile? The Gulf Coast? - 11/25/03 01:04 PM

Taking Dave's advice...

Here's old 'Andy Jackson', hero of the Battle of New Orleans.

And we drove around until we found New Canal Lighthouse on Lake Pontchartrain.

And a view of it from across the canal.

Later today we'll be in Biloxi and I should be able to post a photo or two of that lighthouse...
Posted By: MtnHkr

Re: New Orleans? Mobile? The Gulf Coast? - 11/25/03 04:24 PM

Great pictures John. Looks like the weather and the camera are cooperating. Have fun!

Posted By: Dave H

Re: New Orleans? Mobile? The Gulf Coast? - 11/25/03 05:46 PM

Looks like the CG has moved out of the station. When I was there in November 2001 it was still a very active CG station. It is in a pretty setting, with the long lake front park area just next to it.

Re: New Orleans? Mobile? The Gulf Coast? - 11/28/03 03:05 AM

As promised -- but a few days later -- here are a couple of photos of Biloxi MS lighthouse. Most of you know this sits in the median of the road that follows the coast.

Probably the best shot of it is from the median.

You can see the seahorse characters around the base of the lighthouse. Unfortunately I didn't get down to take photos in the evening or it might have served as my Christmas Card.

I did give John Gaskill a call and we chatted for a bit. John had just arrived the day before from the Outer Banks and had a little cold. He says to tell everyone he really appreciates the post cards being sent and that he is 'behind' in sending out responses.

John is the son of the last civilian lightkeeper at Bodie Island Lighthouse and lives part of the year in the Naval Home in Gulfport MS.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: New Orleans? Mobile? The Gulf Coast? - 11/28/03 12:41 PM

Great photos of two of the old timer Harbour Lights. It's nice to see they both look very well cared for. Thanks for sharing, John!

smile Bob smile
Posted By: Shirin

Re: New Orleans? Mobile? The Gulf Coast? - 11/30/03 07:41 PM

Love the photos John! Glad to see the weather was nice for your trip.
© 2024 Collector Forums