LighthouseKeepers.com

Cape Hatteras To Reopen

Posted By: Torchbearer

Cape Hatteras To Reopen - 02/24/03 02:58 AM

I learned earlier that Cape Hatteras will reopen. Below is from an e-mail I received from the Outerbanks Lighthouse Society.

"Repairs to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse stairs are complete. The stairs will re-open Good Friday, April 18th, according to National Park Service staff. Hours for now are set from 10 am until at least 2 pm (weather permitting). But to make sure of the hours, which may lengthen over the summer, call the lighthouse when you're in the area at (252) 995-4474. There is a modest entry fee for climbing the lighthouse: Adults $3.00 per climb; children under 12, $1.50 per climb. Bonefide educational groups representing certified educational institutions are free."

I'm looking forwarding to climbing her again!

Tim
Posted By: Weasel58

Re: Cape Hatteras To Reopen - 02/24/03 04:36 AM

You and me both Tim. I aint climbed her since just before they closed for the season in 98, to prepare for the move. This has got to be the longest stretch of time I have ever gone between climbs, since I first climbed Hatteras in 79 or 80.
Posted By: TERRY BARFIELD

Re: Cape Hatteras To Reopen - 02/24/03 06:34 AM

Tim, I also have posted some info before I read your post. I edited out the repeated info that you have already given.
I hope the Young clan is doing well!
Posted By: seagirt

Re: Cape Hatteras To Reopen - 02/24/03 06:35 PM

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Bob48

Re: Cape Hatteras To Reopen - 02/24/03 09:16 PM

I first climbed Hatteras in 1960 (it wasn't that close to the water). I didn't get back until November 2000 and had no idea it would be open. The NPS had opened it for two days for the Wings Over Water (migratory waterfowl) conference. I debated whether to climb on Saturday or Sunday, and went with Saturday. As luck would have it, it was closed on Sunday due to high winds. The whole family will be with me for Spring Break the last week of March and I had hoped it would be reopened. We'll go anyway, you never know......
Posted By: ktamlin

Re: Cape Hatteras To Reopen - 02/24/03 09:53 PM

Glad to hear that Hatteras will be reopening. My wife and I will going to the outer-banks the end of May to do the lighthouses and are looking forward to climbing Hatteras and any and all others that are open to climb.
Posted By: Torchbearer

Re: Cape Hatteras To Reopen - 02/25/03 03:12 AM

Not a problem Terry. It happens here and there! Yep, the Young clan is doing well, just busy as usual. I hope you are also doing well. Take care and talk with you later.

Tim
Posted By: AZlightkeeper

Re: Cape Hatteras To Reopen - 02/25/03 04:26 AM

Very cool, I am hoping to be there in Sept. Better hit the stairmaster now, if I am going to climb this one!!!! laugh
Posted By: seagirt

Re: Cape Hatteras To Reopen - 02/25/03 05:32 PM

I'm going to the OBX the first week it is open, and am looking forward to possibly being one of the first people to climb it all fixed up!
Posted By: Ron

Re: Cape Hatteras To Reopen - 02/26/03 12:54 PM

I will be there Easter weekend on a fishing trip with the boys, I should have time to visit and get some excersize. laugh
© 2024 Collector Forums