LighthouseKeepers.com

Good Friday Lighthousing Part 1

Posted By: mombo

Good Friday Lighthousing Part 1 - 04/12/04 05:03 AM

Since Stephen, aka Jakers, had no classes last Friday and the weather was nice and sunny we decided to head north to see a couple of lighthouses he hadn't yet seen. We crossed the American Span of the 1000 Islands Bridge to Wellsley Island. Then we went to the western end of the island to the settlement of 1000 Islands Park. This place is a summer colony that started out as a religious campground complete with a tabernacle and lots of victorian houses. This time of year we saw very few people. This is also the best place to view the Rock Island Lighthouse. These photos aren't the greatest as the sun was starting to get closer to the light. Also because they're mine and not Jakers, which no doubt are much better. However since he hasn't posted any of his you'll have to settle for mine.

After stopping to eat lunch at the only place open, a gas station/convenience store, we headed for the east end of the island for some views of Boldt Castle and the Boldt Castle Yacht house. I didn't take any digitals of them.

Then we headed back across the bridge and east again to Alexandria Bay. I'll continue this later.
Posted By: Elmer

Re: Good Friday Lighthousing Part 1 - 04/12/04 06:39 AM

Hi Sue,

Pictures are very nice. Looks like this light is very close to the water. I suppose the waterway is the St. Lawrence seaway?? Any idea what the magnitude of the tides are there?? confused
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Good Friday Lighthousing Part 1 - 04/12/04 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Elmer:
Any idea what the magnitude of the tides are there??
As low as that entire island seems to be sitting, I certainly hope not too much! Could you imagine Bay of Fundy type tides here?
Posted By: Shirin

Re: Good Friday Lighthousing Part 1 - 04/12/04 12:40 PM

Hey Sue,

We must have crossed paths at some point on Friday! My friend Liz and I were up on the Seaway trail viewing lights all day Friday. We even got to stay at the Selkirk light that night. Didn't think about viewing this light so I'll have to get back to that area at some point. We saw over a dozen other lights though.
Posted By: MtnHkr

Re: Good Friday Lighthousing Part 1 - 04/12/04 02:51 PM

Great pictures Sue. It's great to see pictures of lighthouses that I may never get to see except on the forums. Thanks for posting them and send more.

Bert smile
Posted By: mombo

Re: Good Friday Lighthousing Part 1 - 04/12/04 03:29 PM

No tides here on the St. Lawrence but the water level does vary. When we were here Stephen was excited as a "Salty" did come by and pass right behind the lighthouse. We saw two of them Friday plus a barge.

I forgot to mention that this island is a park so if you have transportation you can go but I don't think that the lighthouse is open.

Shirin I do remember that you said you were coming out this way last weekend. But to see 14 lights I guess you were on the move most of the time. What's new up at Selkirk? Still for sale? Were you able to get up in the lantern room or was the stairway still closed?
Posted By: bright eyes

Re: Good Friday Lighthousing Part 1 - 04/12/04 03:34 PM

Sue, thanks for the nice photos!

How's Jakers?

Congratulations to Elmer for making " SUPER WACKO" status! cool
Posted By: Shirin

Re: Good Friday Lighthousing Part 1 - 04/12/04 05:07 PM

Sue,

Liz and I were moving most of the day. We started off at Ogdensburg and made our way to Sodus Point. Once I get my photos uploaded, I'll have more to share with everyone.

And yes, we could get up into the lantern room at Selkirk. Not something everyone would want to do with it being so narrow but we managed just fine.
Posted By: seagirt

Re: Good Friday Lighthousing Part 1 - 04/12/04 06:04 PM

Looks like fun! I would love to get to the great lakes...the lights there have a whole 'nother character. I think Maine is next, though, over my spring break at the end of the month. I'm going to need to go to Super PPM.

I didn't know you could still stay at Selkirk. Of course, you could never tell from the website, as it hasn't been updated since the dawn of time. I would love to go there, too...I hope the new owners keep it up as a B&B. It looks lovely. How much was one night, Shirin?

Jakers...can't wait to see your photos! Looking forward to it. smile
© 2024 Collector Forums