LighthouseKeepers.com

Lighthouses in Ireland

Posted By: ericlighthouse

Lighthouses in Ireland - 01/09/19 08:55 PM

Susan and I will be going to Ireland and Northern Ireland in May. We will see dozens of lighthouses. If you have been which ones are must sees??? We will driving from Dublin heading north and circle the entire island. We have a 2 night stay at Fanad Lighthouse.
Posted By: RMau

Re: Lighthouses in Ireland - 01/19/19 12:50 PM

Eric,

I have no good idea if there are 'must see' Irish lighthouses. I think that there over 80 to choose from.

In our traveling days, any trip that included a boat ride was considered a good trip. So I'd be looking for a least one ferry ride to an offshore lighthouse. Arranmore is one.

What I can offer you is to allow yourself time to really enjoy the ones you do stop to see.

Have a great trip!

Rick

Re: Lighthouses in Ireland - 01/23/19 03:47 AM

Hi Rick, we do plan to see Arranmore and a few more that require ferries. Of course if weather is bad, we realize we may have to change plans. We also decided to see the Great 12 lighthouses or Ireland (a list made by the Irish Commissioner of Lights (there 12 you can rent and some of them also have tours). If you do rent the minimum is two nights. Forgot to mention if first post we will be in Ireland/Northern Ireland for 15 nights, 11 locations.
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Lighthouses in Ireland - 01/23/19 08:42 PM

Eric,

Don't know if you have searched thru these forums for ideas and info. I remembered Dennis had visited Ireland sometime ago and I was able to find the thread from 2007.

Dennis' Ireland thread

Remember that this trip was 12 years ago, but Dennis is a good story teller and there are a number of pictures in the thread.

Re: Lighthouses in Ireland - 01/25/19 10:56 AM

Thanks Dave.

Re: Lighthouses in Ireland - 06/13/19 10:05 PM

Eric,

How was the trip? How many lights did you see? What was your favorite?

Rick

Re: Lighthouses in Ireland - 06/16/19 10:02 AM

Hi Rick,
we saw 46 lighthouse,6 aids to navigation. Favorite? Well several, Rathlin West, the upside down lighthouse with a red light, Fanad, especially since we stayed there for 2 nights, Skellige Michael (like the old one better, even though it is heavily damaged). Loop Head in part because we got to climb and in part the docents told us of a nearby art gallery that had a lapel pin (the only one I could find of any of the lighthouses). Sheeps Head, mainly because we survived the hike. Old Head of Kinsale, it is in good condition and we got lucky that it was open as it is only open 2 weekends a year. Baltimore pillar, it is an aid to navigation and I saw people climbing the cliff to view, so I climbed too...almost a mistake, but the view was great and did not realize it is 50 foot tall (much bigger than I thought). Dunmore East, it looks like a doric column and you can see Hook lighthouse across the water. Fastnet, even though a distant view, it looked good, if only we had time to go by boat to get closer.
We also saw the Titanic Museum, Giants Causeway, a castle here and there, Long Library, and the lighthouse tavern, and the surprise stay at Ballynahitch

Re: Lighthouses in Ireland - 06/16/19 05:41 PM

Wow Eric! Sounds like a fantastic trek around the Emerald Isle! Put up some pictures if you can. That's a lot of lights the rest of us can enjoy from afar.

Rick
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Lighthouses in Ireland - 06/17/19 12:14 AM

Sounds like you and Susan had a great trip. Wonderful experience that we all would love to be able to have.
© 2024 Collector Forums