LighthouseKeepers.com

"Off-road" lighthouses

Posted By: Dmitry

"Off-road" lighthouses - 10/18/11 11:44 AM

Hello friends!
There are few top-5 and top-10 LH topics, i want to suggest one more. Let's discuss lighthouses, which are most hard to get. Located in very wild places, and couldn't be easily reached.
I can suggest one mine: Yuzhnyy Goglandskiy:

It's located in one of the island in the Gulf of Finland, near Russian to Finland border. Population of the island is less than 50 people, mostly coastguard and LH keepers. LH was built in 1905. Currently there are 2 ways to get the island - by helicopter (1-1.5 hour flight from Saint-Petersburg) or by sea (may be one day from nearest port). Transportation is available in best case maybe one time per month.

OK now your turn :)
Posted By: kory63

Re: "Off-road" lighthouses - 10/18/11 05:57 PM

Interesting! Thanks for sharing!
Rick
Posted By: Bob M

Re: "Off-road" lighthouses - 10/19/11 12:22 PM

Great photos! It's very special to see photos of lighthouses we haven't seen before.

:) Bob
Posted By: rscroope

Re: "Off-road" lighthouses - 10/19/11 02:45 PM

Machias Seal Island Maine

2.5 hour boat trip out of Rockland Maine. When you arrive you must call the Coast Guard on Island for permission to land. Then you get in a dingy and negotiate the boat towards the rocky shale shore. Finally you land the dingy at the rock and scale the 30 foot of wet, slippery rocks to the beach. Quite an adventure and the photos show the reward.

Attached picture MS1.jpg
Attached picture ML22.jpg
Attached picture ML12.jpg
Attached picture MS2.jpg
Posted By: Bob M

Re: "Off-road" lighthouses - 10/20/11 11:51 AM

Very interesting!

:) Bob

Re: "Off-road" lighthouses - 10/21/11 12:07 PM

Yep, really interesting place.
OK now my turn, but i hope somebody else also join to us with own tales :)
Bangkok Bar pilot station located in the approaches to Bangkok port, something about 1.5 hours on boat. This is not a pilot vessel as usial, but stationary platform near fairway:

So vessels are coming near and pilot boat taking pilots and put them on-board.

In the top of the platform there is a tower with ligthhouse:

Of course you need to get permission to land there.
Height of the tower 30-35 meters, range of light - 20 nm
Posted By: rscroope

Re: "Off-road" lighthouses - 10/21/11 02:32 PM

Wow! Pretty cool Dimitry. Very diffrent style. Must have been outstanding to actually dock there and climb.

Re: "Off-road" lighthouses - 10/21/11 08:15 PM

I've been there on the site survey - one of the radar of Bangkok Vessel Traffic Service was intended to install there.
© 2024 Collector Forums