2001 Society Exclusive

Posted By: DANIEL

2001 Society Exclusive - 01/18/01 06:20 AM

A little birdy told me.
http://www.cr.nps.gov/maritime/light/coney.htm

Daniel
Posted By: Bill Harnsberger

Re: 2001 Society Exclusive - 01/18/01 02:43 PM

Good choice (and my birdy told me the same thing). The tower resembles New Point Loma, and we know how sought-after that one is.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: 2001 Society Exclusive - 01/18/01 03:02 PM

Hey Dan, ... Interesting place you led us to. I guess we'll wait and see if your prediction comes true.

Bob
Posted By: rscroope

Re: 2001 Society Exclusive - 01/18/01 03:50 PM

Now wouldn't that be something!

------------------
Long Island BOB

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 01-19-2001).]
Posted By: RMau

Re: 2001 Society Exclusive - 01/18/01 06:23 PM

I haven't heard from any birdies lately, well, except for the hawk that dines in the backyard every morning.

Interesting that this piece is a departure from the previous HLCS pieces architechtural style. All the others were combined residence and light tower. Maybe there was a collector request for something different?

Rick
Posted By: Lightseeker

Re: 2001 Society Exclusive - 01/20/01 08:22 AM

Now, wouldn't that flagpole look nice perched between the residence and the tower?

Bruce
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: 2001 Society Exclusive - 01/21/01 06:38 AM

Since the last time I was at Coney Island, I was about 14 years old, I will have to defer to someone who has actually been to the Coney Island light recently to verify the following....

After clicking on the NPS link posted by Daniel and then looking in a couple of my lighthouse books, it appears the NPS posted image is reversed. I can't figure out why they would reverse it. Maybe one of you Long Islanders can confirm whether it is posted in reverse on the NPS site. It's a good thing that Harbour Lights shoots their own pictures or we could end up with the tower on the wrong side of the house... of course that's if all of these darn birds are spreading the truth.

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame
Posted By: mombo

Re: 2001 Society Exclusive - 01/22/01 05:45 PM

Here is anoher photo of this light from the Coast Guard Historian's site. It does appear that the previous photo was reversed. I have come across that happening before on another favorite website.
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/WEBLIGHTHOUSES/coneyisland.JPG
Posted By: Bob M

Re: 2001 Society Exclusive - 01/23/01 01:46 AM

Looks like someone might have had their negatives in backwards. Good work with the sharp eyes!

Bob
Posted By: rscroope

Re: 2001 Society Exclusive - 01/23/01 05:17 PM

Sad to say, I have not been to Coney Island since the early 70's. I was there for the Steeplechase, Nathans, Parachute Jump and the Roller Coaster as a kid, and don't really remember a LH Tower.
On my list to see.
That's quite a memory St Paul.
Posted By: Joanne

Re: 2001 Society Exclusive - 01/23/01 05:49 PM

This one will be close to my heart - I was born in Brooklyn and spent the first 10 years of my life there. Nothing like a hotdog and orange soda at Nathans, although the Big Bow Wow in Rockaway was pretty close.

Joanne
Posted By: mombo

Re: 2001 Society Exclusive - 01/24/01 03:34 AM

Everything you would possibly want to know about Coney Island should be found here:
http://naid.sppsr.ucla.edu/coneyisland/index.html

Found this site a while back after having seen a T.V. show about Coney Island.
Posted By: GR12868

Re: 2001 Society Exclusive - 01/29/01 05:23 PM

I have been to the Coney Island Light, it is located amongest private homes on the western end of Coney Island in a gated private community known as Sea Gate. The light can be seen from the street and is visible to ships leaving New York Harbor as they pass under the Verrazano Bridge. The light itself is red.
Posted By: Joanne

Re: 2001 Society Exclusive - 01/29/01 05:58 PM

Welcome to the Forum GR12868. I hope you spend some more time with us. I know the Malverne are very well. There was a great little Italian Restaurant called Poppy's that I used to go to.
© 2024 Collector Forums