LighthouseKeepers.com

Be thinking 2009

Posted By: Rumor Wrangler

Be thinking 2009 - 04/16/07 06:40 PM

The rumor out of West Kennebunk is that the Harbour Lights line-up for 2008 is just about finalized.

If there's something you wanted to appear during 2008, and it's not on their list now, it's doubtful it will make it.

But if you've got something you'd like to see released in 2009, your ideas will be welcomed for at least the next year or so.

With a couple of sequiscentennial celebrations this year resulting in something special from Harbour Lights, maybe the slueths should do research on what lighthouses will have significant anniversaries in 2008. Or maybe not. After all, this is "The Rumor Mill".

Keep those immortal word's of Ripley in mind...
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/16/07 08:25 PM

Hard to post a wishlist for 2009 when we don't know what's instore for the rest of 2007, nevermind 2008. But here is my list of LE's, GLOW's & and one Anchor Bay I'd like to see in 2007 or 2008, or 2009:

1) Bergen Point Light – NJ (Gone but not forgotten)
2) Minnesota Point - MN
3) Delaware Breakwater – DE
4) Tinicum – NJ ( Currently only a LLOM )
5) Chapel Hill – NJ
6) Duluth North Breakwater and/or South Breakwater Outer – MN
7) Barnegat Lightship – NJ (Anchor Bay)
8) Oakland Harbor – CA ( As it was, not the replica )
9) Miah Maull Shoal – NJ
10) Robbins Reef – NJ
11) Harbor of Refuge - DE
12) Tuckers Beach/Island, NJ (Not the replica) (GLOW)
13) Minots Ledge, MA (GLOW)
14) Whaleback, NH/Maine (GLOW)
15) West Riglots, Louisiana - (Now gone due too Hurricane Katrina)

It's been a few years since the last NJ lighthouse, so I've got my fingers crossed for this years June release annoucement. Then one in 2008 and one in 2009, and so on. laugh
Posted By: MrsTLC

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/16/07 09:55 PM

vhappy PLEASE, JUST GIVE ME POINT CABRILLO LIGHTHOUSE, CA! (corrected after Dave's comment) :p
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/16/07 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsTLC:
[b]PLEASE, JUST GIVE ME POINT CABRILLO LIGHTHOUSE, OREGON! [/b]
Ruthie, did they move Point Cabrillo from CA to OR? Did Northern California secede from the state and join up with Oregon?

Inquiring minds want to know...........
Posted By: MrsTLC

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/16/07 11:29 PM

Silly me... shocked Another one of those "senior moments."
Posted By: Bob Ott

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/17/07 12:27 AM

Dave,

Maybe it all depends upon what schools an individual attended. If Ruthie wants the POINT CABRILLO LIGHTHOUSE to be in Oregon -- then so be it. laugh

bobo
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/17/07 12:53 AM

Unknown if the following are a work in progress, but how about:

East Chop Light Martha's Vineyard, MA

West Chop Light, Martha's Vineyard, MA

Watch Hill Light, Watch Hill, RI

That's three for now, but there will be others later.

smile Bob smile
Posted By: BeaconBob

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/17/07 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave H:
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsTLC:
[b][b]PLEASE, JUST GIVE ME POINT CABRILLO LIGHTHOUSE, OREGON! [/b]
Ruthie, did they move Point Cabrillo from CA to OR? Did Northern California secede from the state and join up with Oregon?

Inquiring minds want to know........... [/b]
Hey...it depends how good the party was the night before! wink
Posted By: MelJB

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/17/07 04:03 AM

I would love to see Back River Lighthouse, VA in the Gone But Not Forgotten series.
Posted By: rgurskey

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/17/07 06:00 PM

Michigan Island, Wisconsin - both towers and keeper's house.
Posted By: CAVR

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/17/07 06:53 PM

Here's a few off the top of my head,

- Mark Island (Winter Harbor), ME
- Egg Rock, ME
- Prospect Harbor, ME

*** The first 3 listed are tourist attractions at or near Acadia National Park and nearby Bar Harbor *** Besides, my Bass Harbor replica needs a few sisters

- Bear Island, ME
- Perkins Island, ME (with house and bell tower)

and from Wisconsin, (would make a good membership and society redemtption pieces):
- Old Port Washington, WI (Recently restored light on town hill)
- Port Washington Breakwater, WI
- Rawley Point, WI

I have never see HL ATTEMPT making a "Texas Tower" style lighthouse. So lets see how creative and artistic HL can be. How about either the "Chesapeake, VA" or the "Diamond Shoals", NC (Probably cost prohibitive with all the metalwork involved, but would be a one of a kind -never been done before)

I would also be in favor for many of the New Jersey or Delaware lights that "lighthouse Loon" mentioned earlier. Some of these have already made LLOM status of the past couple of years, so lets see the full scale LE version, such as Tinicum.

Only time will tell if any of these will actually make their appearance as a HL replica!

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/17/07 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CAVR:
I have never see HL ATTEMPT making a "Texas Tower" style lighthouse. So lets see how creative and artistic HL can be. How about either the "Chesapeake, VA" or the "Diamond Shoals", NC (Probably cost prohibitive with all the metalwork involved, but would be a one of a kind -never been done before)
I second the wish for a Texas Tower style lighthouse. Chesapeake, VA would be my wish. Wasn't this one in the news last year?

I think there should be at least one Maine light every year.

Also hope no more fictional lighthouses, at least none until every real lighthouse has been replicated first.
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/18/07 05:00 AM

Cape St. George Lighthouse,Fl., restored.
Texas Tower would be good (I would vote for the Virginia one).
Carysfort Reef Light,Fl.
Sombrero Reef Light,Fl..
Aligator Reef Light,Fl.
Jones Point,Va. (as it will look when restored).
New Point Comfort, Va.
Posted By: Bill Bowen

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/18/07 07:02 AM

I'd go for Point Lookout, MD.

On February 15, 2006 the Maryland Board of Public Works approved the exchange of two land parcels between Maryland and the Navy. The state received 4.88 acre Point Lookout Lighthouse, buoy & coal sheds, smokehouse & archaeological site. The plans tentatively for 2007 are to open the lighthouse on the first Saturday of each month from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. beginning in April and running through November. For more information on the lighthouse, its history and keepers visit www.ptlookoutlighthouse.com. For information on the Point Lookout Lighthouse Preservation Society and how you can help restore this lighthouse visit www.pllps.org.
Posted By: kikigl

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/18/07 07:57 PM

I agree with Ruthie about Cabrillo, Ca. and with Christopher about Mark Island, Egg Rock, Prospect Harbor and Bear Island (all Maine lights).
I would also like to see Isle au Haut, Wood Island, Blue Hill Bay, Mt Desert Rock, Cape Elizabeth West and Rockland Harbor SW. All great
Maine lights!

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/18/07 09:27 PM

Here's a few more I would like to add to my collection:

Cleveland Ledge Light, Buzzard's Bay, MA

Wood End Light, Provincetown, MA

Long Point Light, Provincetown, MA

smile Bob smile
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/19/07 01:35 AM

How about another Alaska Light and Hawaian Light. Any one will do!!!!!!!
Posted By: MtnHkr

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/19/07 01:37 AM

Great choices in all your posts BobM. Would love to see the East and West Chops done.
Posted By: BeaconBob

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/20/07 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Bowen:
I'd go for Point Lookout, MD.

On February 15, 2006 the Maryland Board of Public Works approved the exchange of two land parcels between Maryland and the Navy. The state received 4.88 acre Point Lookout Lighthouse, buoy & coal sheds, smokehouse & archaeological site. The plans tentatively for 2007 are to open the lighthouse on the first Saturday of each month from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. beginning in April and running through November. For more information on the lighthouse, its history and keepers visit www.ptlookoutlighthouse.com. For information on the Point Lookout Lighthouse Preservation Society and how you can help restore this lighthouse visit www.pllps.org.
Isn't this lighthouse supposed to be "Haunted"?
I had some fun with my son during the Maryland LH Challenge there. I kept telling him that I was hearing voices...it kept "freakin'" him out!

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/20/07 01:08 PM

A couple more from this area:

Derby Wharf Light, Salem, MA

Great Point Light, Nantucket, MA

smile Bob smile

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/20/07 02:55 PM

I would also like to see another LSS in the near future, hopefully before 2009.

How about Spermaceti Cove Life Saving Station?
This ones near Sandy Hook, NJ.

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/20/07 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BeaconBob:
Quote:
[b] I'd go for Point Lookout, MD.

I had some fun with my son during the Maryland LH Challenge there. I kept telling him that I was hearing voices...it kept "freakin'" him out! [/b]

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/20/07 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BeaconBob:
Quote:
[b] I'd go for Point Lookout, MD.

I had some fun with my son during the Maryland LH Challenge there. I kept telling him that I was hearing voices...it kept "freakin'" him out! [/b]
Yes Bob, there are numerous stories of Point Lookout hauntings. For stories and photos check www.ptlookoutlighthouse.com

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/21/07 12:39 PM

Here's a couple of lights many thousands of boaters pass by each week during the heavy boating months in Narragansett Bay in Rhode Island:

Warwick Light, Warwick RI

Plum Beach Light, No. Kingstown, RI

smile Bob smile
Posted By: Bob Taylor

Re: Be thinking 2009 - 04/23/07 02:55 PM

I would love to see a Little Light of the Hudson-Athens Lighthouse which we could sell on our summer tours at the lighthose. The hats and tee shirts we sell don't look the same on the coffee table!

Bob Taylor
© 2024 Collector Forums