LighthouseKeepers.com

AOL 5.0 vs. Internet Chatroom

Posted By: Bob M

AOL 5.0 vs. Internet Chatroom - 10/08/99 11:33 AM

I recently downloaded the latest version offered by America On-line, AOL 5.0. When I went to enter the chatroom last night, I couldn't get in. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Apparently AOL 5.0 comes with a possible browser change and this new browser is not Java enabled. Does that make sense?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and reply to this inquiry.

Bob
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: AOL 5.0 vs. Internet Chatroom - 10/08/99 03:23 PM

Bob - the new software from AOL is Java capable, but may install without the Java function being turned ON.

I can't recall the steps, not being on AOL anymore, but click on "My AOL", then "WWW". Go through the various tabs to find a checkbox to 'Enable Java'.

Anyone on AOL able to help?
Posted By: Bob Steinbrunn

Re: AOL 5.0 vs. Internet Chatroom - 10/08/99 07:58 PM

I recently installed AOL 4.0 on my PowerMac and found the same situation: I couldn't access the forum.

I decided to make AOL work for their money and called a tech rep on their 800 number. I followed his instructions as I merrily clicked my way through all the windows and dialog boxes, and LABH (Lo, and behold), JAVA was NOT enabled. Clicking it "on" was all it took.

------------------
Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild
Posted By: Bob M

Re: AOL 5.0 vs. Internet Chatroom - 10/09/99 12:50 AM

I think I have the Java problem solved. My computer prompted me to download another program called (something like) "Microsoft Works" and that got me into the chat roomm after a 20 minute download. Hopefully, this will solve my problem.

Bob
© 2024 Collector Forums