LighthouseKeepers.com

Mackinaw Ceremonies Update

Posted By: Dave H

Mackinaw Ceremonies Update - 06/01/06 04:53 PM

I am posting this in the General Forum because there have been several postings in various forums about this event.

First off, Harry Hine had planned to attend. Due to some last minute other obligations, Harry will be unable to attend.

Secondly, it is being reported that the ceremonies have been changed from open to all to invitation only. Don't know if this is fact or not, but I am trying to verify. I will post additional information as it is available, but did want to give folks a "heads up" as this may cause some changes in plans.

Baby Mac's website indicates it is an open ceremony at this instant. Working some sources to find out what the right answer is.
Posted By: WisKeeper

Re: Mackinaw Ceremonies Update - 06/02/06 01:03 AM

I got an email today from the Coast Guard:

Good afternoon-

The ceremony will be held at 1300 EST on June 10, 2006. The ceremony will be part of a joint commissioning/decommissioning ceremony for the
two MACKINAWs. It will be held at the Millard D Olds Memorial Moorings
in Cheboygan, MI. The ceremony is open to the public.

V/R
ENS Kempe

Re: Mackinaw Ceremonies Update - 06/02/06 01:44 AM

I just heard from him again 10 minutes ago:

"The ceremony will be held under a tent with approximately 3,000 chairs."

Apparently still open to the public, but if anyone wants to be part of our group, they are welcome.

Re: Mackinaw Ceremonies Update - 06/03/06 05:06 AM

To help sort things out, and get the straight scoop I asked someone who should have a pretty good idea - the skipper of MACKINAW WLBB 30 (Baby Mac). This is the response I received from CDR Little:

Quote:

The upcoming MACKINAW decommissioning/commissioning ceremony is open to the public…so please help us spread the word. Invitations were mailed and those with invitations will have seating a bit closer to the stage, but the post-ceremony reception and ship tours will be open to everyone.
Do plan on arriving early. While CDR Little didn't mention it, I do believe that parking will be somewhere on the hiway (K-Mart?) and guests will be bussed to the CG Station. I will venture a guess that there will be signs out in town directing folks where to head for parking.

Everyone needs to start thinking good weather....
Posted By: SThompson

Re: Mackinaw Ceremonies Update - 06/03/06 01:08 PM

So does this mean that the information at the Harbour Lights site is incorrect? Is Harry Hine also still going to be a no show?

Sean

Re: Mackinaw Ceremonies Update - 06/03/06 02:02 PM

Harry is definitely not coming.

Re: Mackinaw Ceremonies Update - 06/05/06 02:20 PM

This is the answer I got from the Coast Guard regarding the "invitation only" rumors.

The ceremony is a combination of both.

"When the ceremony was first in its planning stages, it was going to be invitation only. However, once we got confirmation that the Speaker of the House would be attending, it became open to the public. (Something about an elected official not wanting to turn away its constituents). So, there are 3000 seats under the tent."
Posted By: LightHog_dup1

Re: Mackinaw Ceremonies Update - 06/05/06 08:08 PM

Quote:
Harry is definitely not coming.
Does this mean that AB118/W will not be previewed and available at the decommissioning?

Roger

Re: Mackinaw Ceremonies Update - 06/06/06 02:47 AM

AB Mackinaw should be in the vicintiy.
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Mackinaw Ceremonies Update - 06/06/06 03:27 AM

About 50 pair of the Anchor Bay Red and White Hull will be around.

Best bet right now is GLLKA. 231-436-5580. I think most, if not all will be matched number pairs. $99 each piece is SRP.

Try PTC Gifts in Cheboygan. They should also have some. 231-627-2354 There is another dealer also in Cheboygan, but not listed as an Anchor Bay dealer. I hope I have the right dealer.

What's in that area were airlifted from China just for the event. Other dealers round the country will be getting pieces later. HL should be announcing expected arrival dates for the June releases sometime next week.

Re: Mackinaw Ceremonies Update - 06/07/06 06:58 AM

Pam and I will be leaving on Thursday traveling to Cheboygan, Michigan for the ceremonies.
Posted By: Lighthouser

Re: Mackinaw Ceremonies Update - 06/07/06 03:18 PM

There will be plenty of opportunity after the ceremony for everyone to get great photos...
This also from CDR Little:
Quote:
...both cutters will be available for tours following the event and reception for the remainder of the day.
© 2024 Collector Forums