LighthouseKeepers.com

Great Finds This Week Part V

Posted By: Joanne

Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/01/00 02:49 AM

Since Part IV is at 49, I'm starting a new thread.

Part I: http://216.46.163.97/forums/Forum1/HTML/000218.html

Part II: http://216.46.163.97/forums/Forum1/HTML/000370.html

Part III:
http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/000576.html

Part IV: http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/000730.html

[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited 08-31-2000).]
Posted By: Sonic59

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/04/00 12:06 AM

Returning from a camping trip over the Labor Day weekend, we stopped at a dealer we haven't been to in some time. We found a Seven Foot Knoll and Old Field Point at 40% off. We've been wanting these two pieces to add to our collection. We are glad we waited.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/04/00 03:21 PM

Congrats on a great find, Sonic!

Bob
Posted By: Rrronne

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/05/00 06:40 PM

Stopped by a Hallmark shop that was closing out some overstock HLs. Got A Gray's Harbor
variation for 1/2 price and a Yaquina Bay at
75% off.

------------------
Randall Ronne
Posted By: Rusty

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/06/00 09:22 PM

Congratulations Sonic and Randall! They are so much fun when you find a real steal!

Rusty
Posted By: Brent

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/07/00 01:56 AM

While I was on my trip to Michigan I got a heck of a deal on the Anchor Bay Ship, "Chesapeake"......77 Bucks!! The small gift shop was located in Mackinaw City and it was the last one they had. Apparently they will be closing down for the winter (soon) and alot of their general merchandise is on-sale. I guess its a case of being at the right place, at the right time.
Posted By: TD

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/17/00 08:31 AM

Purchased the following at 50% off on Saturday:
1. Round Island
2. Hudson Athens
3. South Bass
4. East Quoddy
That's the good news. The bad news is the store is dropping Harbour Lights.
Posted By: TDSimpson

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/17/00 06:09 PM

Congrats to all on your great finds. The only great find that we have found recently is that since our regular dealer dropped the Harbour Lights line we somehow have a lot more money in our checking account.

Tom & Diane
Posted By: akmn

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/17/00 10:14 PM

What store did you get those four at TD? We're in Minnesota too ...any left???

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/17/00 10:20 PM

Well, ...I almost had a great find. I saw a Portland Head LE on eBay with a starting bid of $249, no reserve. There were several pictures of it showing a minor paint flaw on the roof. Good buy for the opening bid I thought. No one bid all week except for me. A few hours before the close of the auction, I ran my proxy bid up a little to cover in case of a last minute bid. I was the winning bid until there was one minute left, then the war began. To make a long story short I was outbid in the last 36 seconds. The computer wouldn't accept my final bid. So close but yet so far.

Bob
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/18/00 02:27 AM

I got a Rose Island Reunion set - reunion and mini from a post on Marketplace that seemed to good to be true. But it was legit!
Posted By: TERRY BARFIELD

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/21/00 01:22 AM

Great Captain Island: $65 total.
Primo condition,from the Marketplace.

TerryBarfield
Posted By: Rock

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/25/00 03:46 PM

From the PacNW: La Martre & Whitefish Pt both 40% off from OR dealer going out of business and rarer regular-edition Toledo tugboat 50% off from WA dealer dropping Anchor Bay line.

[This message has been edited by Rock (edited 09-25-2000).]
Posted By: easya

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/25/00 10:12 PM

Rock, Triple WOW!
Joe
Posted By: Torchbearer

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/26/00 04:12 AM

Purchased a Currituck Beach online for retail, and received it Friday. I am extremely happy with this purchase!

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/28/00 06:11 AM

At a nearby dealer today, I found a Motor Yacht "Kim" and a Tugboat Toledo on sale.Total for both:$79.I`m getting that "I CAN RULE THE WORLD" feeling.

Terry

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/28/00 02:41 PM

Good deal there Terry! Between those and Chesapeake, you have done very well. By chance, were those puchased at the same dealer as Chesapeake? By the way, look forward to seeing you at the regional.

Posted By: Pharologst

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/28/00 05:57 PM

I live near CYPRESS GARDENS (FL) and they carry HL's in the gift shop. As a season pass holder I get 10%off PLUS $20 off every $100 spent. For instance i just got Sturgeon Bay (retail $90) for $61.60. Buy one every time I go there!!
Pharologst, KEEP THE

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 09-28-2000).]

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/29/00 02:44 AM

White River LH arrived.Ordered from a dealer in WI. It pays to ask questions in emails.This one had never been on display.$45 plus shipping($6.50)!

Terry Barfield

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/29/00 09:37 PM

Got the tip from Rmau here on-site, and I purchased a MIB St. George's Reef (#115), SIGNED for $65 total delivered!!!! This Gift shop (Dewitt, NY) has one more left at $60+shipping(unsigned). (Email me if you want contact info on the shope, for some reason they willl not accept CCards over the phone, so you have to use snail-mail and checks!!)
[img]http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/biggrin.gif[/img]
Pharologst
[img]http://members.aol.com:/pharologst/SlmKTF3.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 09-29-2000).]
Posted By: JJ

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/29/00 10:39 PM

Hey Pharologst, thanks for your note. Yours is the first complete cycle I have seen at R@R, I sent that lighthouse sighting to Rick, and now I know who got the light. What a great system.
Jim
Johnson

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/29/00 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JimJohnson:
Hey Pharologst, thanks for your note. Yours is the first complete cycle I have seen at R@R, I sent that lighthouse sighting to Rick, and now I know who got the light. What a great system.
[b]Jim
Johnson
[/b]

A BIG THANKS ! to you for your eagle eye!!
Pharologst

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 09-29-2000).]
Posted By: mombo

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/30/00 03:08 AM

Hey JJ, I think I also reported St. Georges Reef! I'll take credit for the one they have left!

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/30/00 03:33 AM

I know I mentioned my latest find in another thread but I am extremely pleased to announce in this thread that I purchased a Ch-2 in mint condition. I find out it right in the "Marketplace" thread here at the forum. I consider it to be a "great find".

Bob
Posted By: RMau

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 09/30/00 04:05 AM

Jim & Mombo,

It is kinda neat that you can see the results of your sharing leads with R@R. Thanks for your continuing efforts to help other collectors around the country.

R@R
Posted By: Cana Fan

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 10/04/00 08:15 PM

A shop near my home (Oakshire Shop in Schaumburg Il.) is going out of business. 20% off Harbour Lights. This alone is ok, but I picked up their Red Legacy Light for $79.00. Perfect condition, with the box to boot!

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 10/05/00 02:05 AM

My second great find of the last week or so arrived today. It's the limited edition St. Augustine. I was very fortunate to get it for a good price on eBay. Until about a week ago I needed 4 LEs to complete my collection. Getting CH-2 and St. Augustine in the same week was a little tough on the wallet but well worth it. Now if I could only find Portland Head and Coquille at a yard sale...

Bob

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 10/09/00 04:58 PM

Hi Folks,

I have a request as Cruise Director of this forum. In fairness to other dealers honoring their contract with Harbour Lights not to sell at reduced prices, please do not give out specific information as to where you found your great buy, not even a city location. We all want to share in your good news, but leave out the details on the retailers.

Thanks,

Joanne

[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited 10-09-2000).]
Posted By: wheland

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 10/12/00 02:54 AM

I found a place that is going out of the HL business. They are selling their entire stock at 30% off.

I bought 3. I'll be back there in the near future and may buy more.

I got the following items-
Hunting Island, SC- 52
Old Point Comfort, VA- 57
Fenwick, DE- 57

Dennis

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 10/12/00 04:39 AM

I purchased yesterday a Bald Head, NC for $80.00 plus shipping, edition number 64. That (other than a CH1) has completed my NC collection.

Posted By: TURBO271

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 10/15/00 11:42 PM

I ran into some good luck today as we toured Rhode Island looking at Lighthouses. I found a Red Legacy HL600 at a store for $64.00. It was a good find and rounded out a great day of lighthousing.

Turbo

[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited 10-16-2000).]
Posted By: akmn

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 10/19/00 09:10 PM

Picked up a Stonington Harbor for 55.00 with tax at a dealer going out of business. No box, but we did get the society pin of that year pin as a consolation!

akmn
Posted By: wheland

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 10/19/00 10:42 PM

I picked up a signed matched set of Morris Island Now/ Then for $99 on ebay.

I'm not sure this qualifies as a great deal as it's only one of a number available at that price. But 1/3 off retail is a deal to me.

Dennis

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 11/06/00 04:23 PM

I was driving and happened to come a cross a clearing warehouse sale for a store move and stopped in to see what was available.

I bought a Sunken Rock for $19 and an Umpqua River for $38, both MIB. Unfortunately I found a chip on the Castle Hill which was also selling for $38. I passed on the Castle Hill. But did great on the other two.

Joanne

[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited 11-06-2000).]
Posted By: Bill Harnsberger

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 11/07/00 02:52 PM

There are certain lighthouses I'm just not moved to buy at full price. It doesn't mean I don't like them, it's just that other pieces take priority. So it's fun to find the occasional "scratch and dent" deal.

I got a Haig Point for $20 because of a tiny chip on the picnic table. I got an Old Point Comfort for $25 because there was a little lump of resin under the felt at the base that made it sit a little funny. Otherwise the piece was perfect. And I snagged a Kilauea for $20 because the ventilator ball had been sheared off. I glued it back and it's barely noticable.

I'll disclaim this by saying I would never ever consider re-selling them to anyone---they're damaged goods. But for purposes of my own personal collection, they work just fine. And the price was certainly right.
Posted By: Cana Fan

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 11/07/00 03:55 PM

This isn't a great fing this week, but it was a great find a few months back. On a business trip, I stopped in a shop and bought a L.E, Sanibell at 30% off. On a later trip, found a Point Arena at retail. Store owner had just uncovered it from the warehouse a day earlier. It pays to shop around!

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 11/07/00 08:27 PM

I was the high bidder on the Anchor Bay 108S, Purse Seiner, on eBay. Picked it up for $81.68. I consider that a good deal. Now if it can get here without any breakage I'll be really happy.

Bob
Posted By: Jim Chesher

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 11/14/00 03:32 AM

I am very proud to say that I just brought home a Big Bay Point at retail ($75.00) from a collector who is selling part of his collection. See my post in the Marketplace. That is certainly the best deal I have ever walked into and it is the last of the Christmas pieces that I needed. I wish I would have called him a week earlier when I first got his name and I probably could have gotten the couple of other old ones I was looking for. Oh well I'll just take my BBP and be happy!!!

Re: Great Finds This Week Part V - 11/14/00 04:21 AM

Just so everyone doesn't misunderstand Jim's post (jcheser), not all of the lights for sale are at retail. Tybee for instance, is going for $250.00. Jim... thanks for posting as I just purchased a light from this gentleman as well.

© 2024 Collector Forums