LighthouseKeepers.com

Retirements

Posted By: NvrEnufHL

Retirements - 02/22/99 03:17 AM

Does anyone in the world of Wackodom know of any '98 or '99 releases that have been retired (besides Cape Florida)? Hillsboro perhaps? Are Boston Harbor, SE Block and Barnagat(mold I) the only GLOWS that have been retired?? I think I have been getting conflicting reports. The Chistmas edition 98, White Shoals, is that retired after chistmas of will it be forced into retirement in sept.?? Is the Sept. retirement the norm for chirstmas editions??
Thanks to all

BUY ON

Tucker
Posted By: JTimothyA

Re: Retirements - 02/22/99 04:18 AM

As soon as Hillsboro went on allocation to dealers, that means its retired.

No GLOWs are retired. Some have been re-molded and the original molds no longer available for dealers to buy from HL.

Sean, I thought Cape Florida retired on 10-12-98.

Fwiw - all this info is available in the free spreadsheet download in the Numerography forum. You can also find it at HL-dot-com.

Rgds,
__
/im
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Retirements - 02/22/99 04:28 AM

Cape Florida retired 10/18/98

http://www.harbourlights.com/catalog/1998/1998_table.htm

Christmas editions are put on 'allocation' which means all will be sold to dealers. So by definition, it's retired when issued.

Same holds true for Hillsboro Inlet FL. Since it is on Allocation, it retired before it was shipped. However, HL's tally will probably show it retired on the day it was issued.

Society Exclusives have a life from April 1 to the following March 31. The edition size for the 'gift' (Cockspur GA this year) is limited to the number of active memberships. Over 20,000 have been gifted so far. The Society Exclusive (Sea Girt NJ) is limited to the number of Society Members who ordered on during their membership year. So Port Sanilac MI and Amelia Island 'retired' in 1998.

The Society Rose Island and the Attendee Rose Island were 'retired' in 1998.

Re: Retirements - 02/22/99 06:20 AM

Just so I have this straight: Even though the mold I has been broken, Barnegat is not considered retired? Several dealers classify the mold I piece as "retired" while selling the Mold II piece as a GLOW. If this is the case are Boston Harbor and SE Block simply being redesigned and will they be rereleased (kind of an oxymoron there huh?) under a different letter as the same GLOW???
One more related question: Does Harbour Lights reassign the begining letter (ie: A,B,C, etc) on a yearly basis??? Could you track the years a GLOW has been active by the front letter??

BUY ON

Tucker

P.S. Great Web site J.C (from a budding programmer)

Re: Retirements - 02/22/99 06:47 AM

Four GLOWs were 'withdrawn' from production in 1997. Only Barnegat NJ has made it back so far, but the other three (Portland Head, Sandy Hook and Southeast Block Island) will be showing up this year (no, honest, really)

The word 'retired' doesn't express the right situation since more will be made with a different mold.

Approximately 4,000 of the first Barnegat GLOW. Don't have any production numbers for the GLOWs, but I'll ask.

Each year, the letter increments and the numbering starts over at 1.

However, with Barnegat, when it revised, it started back at "A0001" again.

We'll see if that happens to the other GLOWs to be re-issued this year.

------------------
0 :>) St. John of the Internet

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 02-21-99).]

Re: Retirements - 02/22/99 07:34 AM

Will (or does) the numbering method have an effect on the resale value (thinking about the conversions) of a piece?? Along this line, in the reproduction page I read that

Spectacle Reef B1382 is the last know number of this series

I saw a Spectacle Reef numbered B1399 (Coffee's Art and Frame Lake wood WA.)

BUY ON

Tucker
Posted By: JTimothyA

Re: Retirements - 02/22/99 08:09 AM

>>Will (or does) the numbering method have an effect on the resale value (thinking about the conversions) of a piece?<<

Marginally at best. A small premium is sometimes sought for early pieces originally issued as GLOWS then 'converted' to Limited Editions. There was also a numbering snafu with the Stamp Series and some of those can seek a small premium.

Some folks think their 'A' editions of the first GLOWs are worth more than retail - but generally GLOWs don't appreciate - you'll be lucky if they hold their retail value.

These sorts of 'numbering varietals' are collected by only a very small handful of Wackos. If you come across 'em at a good price, then go for it.

>>Barnegat is not considered retired? Several
dealers classify the mold I piece as "retired" while selling the Mold II piece as a GLOW.<<

The dealers will say what they will. Both Barnegats are GLOWs, neither can retire. Be cautious with dealers - some are really great some are really so-so. The best practice is to read through HL-dot-Com, and hang in the forums. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Its a fun hobby and there's a wealth of experience, knowledge, and wierd arcana available to the regular forum-goer.

Also - check out Chat Night. But beware - real Wackos attend the chats.

The revised Barnegat GLOW wasn't created from whim - it resulted from a general consensus that the piece was not accurate (too tall & skinny - disproportionate) and several folks expressed an unhappiness with it.

Rgds,
__
/im

Re: Retirements - 02/23/99 12:13 AM

I stand corrected about a couple of items up there a few messages ago.

Cape Florida's retirement date should be 10/12/98 not 10/18/98.

The number of GLOW Barnegat NJ made of the first (skinny) version was 4,500. All were made in 1997 and all were "A". They were made in China.

The Revised 1998 Barnegat NJ GLOW was made in Malaysia. No counts yet on those.
© 2024 Collector Forums