LighthouseKeepers.com

Jimmy Buffett Lighthouse Novel

Posted By: Shortcake

Jimmy Buffett Lighthouse Novel - 05/06/05 01:03 AM

Are you an avid reader? (or) Are you like me and listen to books on tape or CD? Either way there is a new book on the shelves that you should enjoy.

It is Jimmy Buffett's "A Salty Piece of Land". In this novel the character is in search of a Bulls Eye Lens to restore and re-light an old Lighthouse.

Personally I found this book to be one of the best novels I've heard, and I recommend it to each of you to read or listen to.
Posted By: seagirt

Re: Jimmy Buffett Lighthouse Novel - 05/06/05 01:22 AM

I saw that book at Borders the other day, but didn't pick it up because I thought, "Jimmy Buffett sings all those songs about the Caribbean, he must just be going with a beach thing for the book". Now I'm going to look at it again!

I wonder if the library has it...
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Jimmy Buffett Lighthouse Novel - 05/06/05 01:58 AM

I read it a few weeks ago and, though I'm not a big Jimmy Buffett fan, it was OK. Lots of (what I assume) inside references. Takes place in the Mexico and the Carribean.

I wouldn't rush out to buy it because it has a lighthouse on the cover. If you know lighthouses, you'll see through a lot of weak research and impracticalities.

The search for the 'bullseye' lens to complete the restoration of a lighthouse implies that it's just a tiny thing.

I think the author got confused with the electric bulb that powered some of the fresnels.

There's more boozin' fishin' and carausin' than lighthousin' in the book.

Now if you like any TWO of those 'in' things, then go out and buy the book.
Posted By: mombo

Re: Jimmy Buffett Lighthouse Novel - 05/06/05 04:46 AM

So if we like all four of those things, we should buy two books??? laugh
Posted By: Larry R

Re: Jimmy Buffett Lighthouse Novel - 05/06/05 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mombo:
So if we like all [b]four of those things, we should buy two books??? laugh [/b]
That would be me. But then I've never met a margarita I haven't liked laugh
Posted By: MelJB

Re: Jimmy Buffett Lighthouse Novel - 05/06/05 04:42 PM

I guess no "Parrot Heads" here! LOL laugh laugh
Posted By: eastpoint

Re: Jimmy Buffett Lighthouse Novel - 05/06/05 05:08 PM

Read the book and enjoyed it. Its just the kind of book I would recommend for summer reading. Also for Buffet fans there is a single cd included with his song by the same title.
Posted By: DMancini

Re: Jimmy Buffett Lighthouse Novel - 05/07/05 11:53 PM

I actually considered buying it (big fan of Buffett's), but for some reason I didn't. I'm too busy to read it right now. Maybe I'll read it in the fall (after things die down a bit). laugh
Posted By: Beaconfollower

Re: Jimmy Buffett Lighthouse Novel - 05/13/05 12:23 AM

Thanks for the info. I just got the book and hope to start it soon. I am a fan of Jimmy's, not a "Parrot Head", but I do like his music. smile
Posted By: WLA

Re: Jimmy Buffett Lighthouse Novel - 05/17/05 05:20 AM

A Salty Piece of Earth? Very pretty dust jacket that I have framed, but as the saying goes--you can't judge a book by its cover. I think Jimmy Buffet should stick to music. He had way too many characters in his book doing too many unbelievable things. It was a ridiculously busy a plot for me. Seemed like he was trying to relive his youth through his main character. He got almost all his lighthouse stuff right though, which is admirable for a non-lighthouse nut. The only big error I saw was the amount of mercury he claimed was in the float for the lens.
© 2024 Collector Forums