LighthouseKeepers.com

More Info 2003 Maryland Challenge CCUSLHS

Posted By: bonnebert

More Info 2003 Maryland Challenge CCUSLHS - 11/12/02 04:12 AM

Here's some more info on the Maryland Challenge the weekend of Sept 13-14th. The land-based lighthouse that will be included are: Turkey Point, Concord, Seven Foot Knoll, Chesapeake Lightship (docked near Seven Foot Knoll), Piney Point, Point Lookout, Drum Point, Cove Point and Hooper Strait. There is still a possibility of Sandy Point from the beach, but that is not definite at this time. The website for our chapter is www.cheslights.org.

Joyce
Posted By: Elmer

Re: More Info 2003 Maryland Challenge CCUSLHS - 11/12/02 03:36 PM

Thanks for the info Joyce. Sounds like something a lot of us would be interested in participating in. Please keep us updated on any further developments. Would this be the first event of this sort in Maryland?

Dan
Posted By: Shirin

Re: More Info 2003 Maryland Challenge CCUSLHS - 11/12/02 03:41 PM

Yes Dan, this will be MD's first lighthouse challenge. They've modeled it after the very successful New Jersey lighthouse challenge which has been held for the past 3 years.

shirin
Posted By: Elmer

Re: More Info 2003 Maryland Challenge CCUSLHS - 11/12/02 04:11 PM

OUTSTANDING!! laugh Carol & I went on the NJ Challenge this year and had a GREAT time. I'm pumped!! laugh laugh
Posted By: Beaconfollower

Re: More Info 2003 Maryland Challenge CCUSLHS - 11/13/02 01:40 AM

Thanks so much for the update Joyce. That sounds really great. Don't want to wish away a year, but I sure can't wait to go.. wink

Re: More Info 2003 Maryland Challenge CCUSLHS - 11/13/02 10:35 PM

The latest newsletter for the CCUSLHS arrived today. Not too much in detail on the challenge but...it will be all of the land based lights in MD and it looks like they will be open from 8AM to 6PM both Saturday and Sunday September 13 and 14th. At your first light you pick up a commerative map and at each light you will receive a stamp depicting each lighthouse. For futher info as details are available call 410-437-0741 or email drosage@erols.com

shirin
Posted By: Larry

Re: More Info 2003 Maryland Challenge CCUSLHS - 11/14/02 02:22 AM

Are they going to do something about the parking at Turkey Point? That could be the BIGGEST challenge of all! We were just there on Saturday and had to squeeze into the tiny lot at the bottom of the trail, and there were cars behind us that didn't get a spot. Maybe shuttle busses from somewhere?
Posted By: wheland

Re: More Info 2003 Maryland Challenge CCUSLHS - 11/14/02 03:01 AM

Actually, I think the biggest challenge at Turkey Point will be the 1 1/2 mile walk there and back.

It's not a problem for Lighthouse Wackos (well, for most Lighthouse Wackos) but the idea behind the Lighthouse challenge in NJ was to introduce Lighthouses to as many new people as possible and get them to come back and experience each Lighthouse in their leisure at another time.

It's going to be hard to convince Novice Lighthouse people to start off with a 1 1/2 mile hike. Fortunately none of the NJ Lighthouses are that far from the starting point.

I think helicopters might help, but shuttle buses would work great to get to the starting point.

Has anything been said about that - anybody in the planning on this project?

Dennis

Re: More Info 2003 Maryland Challenge CCUSLHS - 11/14/02 04:31 AM

Perhaps the Turkey Point Relighting Ceremony on November 30th will be a practice run on cramming in a lot of cars to the area. We'll have to see how that goes.

shirin
Posted By: bonnebert

Re: More Info 2003 Maryland Challenge CCUSLHS - 11/15/02 03:07 AM

Got an email from Karen Drosage this evening, and she's excited about receiving emails from up and down the East Coast about the challenge. I did leave one off the list, however, it's Ft. Washington. She also said Sandy Point is not going to be included because the park is not going to waive the entrance fees. As I get more info from her, I'll keep you all posted.

Joyce
Posted By: eskilady

Re: More Info 2003 Maryland Challenge CCUSLHS - 04/30/03 03:16 PM

Any news on this challenge like starting and ending points? I would like to think about making hotel reservations but need to know more things. Anyone know anything new? :rolleyes: smile smile

Eskilady
Posted By: wheland

Re: More Info 2003 Maryland Challenge CCUSLHS - 04/30/03 03:51 PM

Eskilady,

I forwarded to you an e-mail I got with a brochure attached.

Anyone else who needs more info can either e-mail me directly and I'll forward the brochure or you can conact Dave & Karen Rosage for information at dkrosage@comcast.net

Dennis
© 2024 Collector Forums