LighthouseKeepers.com

Merry Christmas at Lighthouses

Posted By: foghornkeeper

Merry Christmas at Lighthouses - 10/14/99 06:38 PM

The Nell club will be having a Christmas party in York, ME, in conjunction with the illumination of the Nubble Xmas lights.

Are there any other lighthouses that decorate that you know of?

I do a lot of traveling and would like to know about them so that I could photograph them. I saw a friend's picture of Nobska, MA, with a large wreath at Xmas. This could be a way of getting interesting and different photos of lighthouses.

St. John: If enough people sent you photos could you make a special gallery of them after the holidays?

foghornkeeper
Posted By: Lighthousedude

Re: Merry Christmas at Lighthouses - 10/14/99 07:12 PM

The U.S.C.G. hang a big wreath on the tower at Eatons Neck here on Long Island. The leave it up till some time in April so depending on the shade of green you'd like in the picture.........................
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Merry Christmas at Lighthouses - 10/14/99 11:32 PM

We light up the Hudson-Athens Lighthouse at Christmas time. Here is a picture from several years ago.

You can also view our lighthouse at Christmas just as it was published on the front cover of the Saturday Evening Post on December 28th,1946
http://members.aol.com/thelightkeeper/HappyHolidays.html
Enjoy

"TheLightkeeper"

[This message has been edited by TheLightkeeper (edited 10-14-99).]
Posted By: RFoster

Re: Merry Christmas at Lighthouses - 10/15/99 01:24 AM

Thanks so much for the above link to the Hudson-Athens site. I started to browse through it and started reading some of the info. I forgot that I was even in the forums until I closed the site. I'll be going back to it again as I have added it to my Favorites.

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Posted By: Wildbird99

Re: Merry Christmas at Lighthouses - 10/15/99 03:32 AM

The Horton Point light has a wreath at Christmas time. Since the Flying Santa will be visiting Montauk Point on Dec 12, perhaps they'll decorate a bit.

------------------
Bob Muller
Stony Brook, NY
wildbird99@aol.com
www.longislandlighthouses.com
Posted By: foghornkeeper

Re: Merry Christmas at Lighthouses - 10/15/99 04:56 AM

Thanks to you, The Lightkeeper for that nice night shot of the Hudson-Athens light. I am a semi-pro photographer and would like to give some tips to all those wanting to take night photos of lighthouses. 1, use a tripod and cable release 2, take the picture when the sky is a deep blue after sunset(this way you get some light on the tower and buildings so you get the shape of the structures), 3, wait until the xmas lights come on, or the beacon flashes in your direction. 4, BRACKET EXPOSURES-take a sequence of shots giving more exposure and then less. If using an automatic exposure camera you might have to change the exposure compensating dial by +1 and then -1. Be sure to reset the dial to normal for regular pictures. You can also try putting a piece of metal window screen in front of the lens to get a cross star effect on the individual lights. The same system will work for night shots of cityscapes, and other illuminated buildings, statues etc.
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Merry Christmas at Lighthouses - 10/15/99 05:22 AM

Concord MD decorated their light a couple of years ago when I visited in early December. Sorry for the quality of the pic but it was snowing big, wet flakes when I stopped at the light. Unfortunately, no snow on the ground to make it really pretty. Was a mostly very nice weekend, and managed to get in around 20 lights in MD & area in 2 1/2 days.

Wreath on the door, evergreen roping around the lantern railing & the park railing. Would have been really pretty with snow on the ground!

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave H (edited 10-17-99).]
Posted By: LADYBUG

Re: Merry Christmas at Lighthouses - 10/17/99 08:54 PM

The Mukilteo Lighthouse in Washington State decorates each Christmas with lights on the outside and a Christmas tree in the window; haven't made it down to get pictures; but there are some available at the gift shop there.
Posted By: dwood

Re: Merry Christmas at Lighthouses - 10/18/99 02:17 AM

I believe Coquille River does - haven't seen it yet, but I think the volunteer fire dept. decorates.

Dixie
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Merry Christmas at Lighthouses - 11/27/99 11:15 PM

Just got back from putting Christmas lights on the Hudson-Athens Lighthouse. We had a gorgeous day, especially for this time of year. So if anyone is passing by the Hudson or Athens area at night ,you might want to swing by the riverfront to get a view. (see picture above}

"TheLightkeeper"
Posted By: Joanne

Re: Merry Christmas at Lighthouses - 11/27/99 11:59 PM

St. Augustine gets decorated for Christmas but I don't have a picture. I know that for Halloween, they even have trick or treating and Halloween decorations. They are authentic decorations from the late 1800's to 1930.

Joanne
Posted By: Len Ariagno

Re: Merry Christmas at Lighthouses - 11/28/99 01:00 AM

Nauset Beach does as well. Last year my wife and I spent 2 days on Cape Cod (Cawd) between Christmas and New Year's Day. We visited Nauset Beach and I photographed Nauset Light with a large Christmas wreath. Very nice!!! And I might add, my favorite lighthouse.
Len
Posted By: Rusty

Re: Merry Christmas at Lighthouses - 11/28/99 07:04 AM

Lightkeeper, thanks for the photo, and the web site for Hudson-Athens Lighthouse. It must be great to live that close and be involved with the lighthouse. The nearest lighthouse to me is about 5 hours, but still enjoy reading about everyones experiences with a lighthouse that is near them.

Rusty
Posted By: wheland

Re: Merry Christmas at Lighthouses - 11/29/99 06:20 AM

Len, Can you post that picture of Nauset that you took. i got to see Nauset and the Three Sisters this past September.Very nice park and i even got a bonus- the Gift Shop was unoficially open. the woman happened to be there and we had a very nice chat. Dennis
Posted By: TURBO271

Re: Merry Christmas at Lighthouses - 11/30/99 12:15 AM

Nubble Light in York, Maine had their Christmas lighting on Saturday ( 11/27/99 ).
The lighthouse, keepers house, oil house etc. are all lighted. A beautiful picture of Christmas at one of my favorite lighthouses.

Turbo
Posted By: dwood

Re: Merry Christmas at Lighthouses - 11/30/99 07:55 AM

I'm in Bandon, OR even as we speak, and am chagrined to discover that they light the lighthouse up on 12/1. We'll be gone by then. Maybe next year!

Dixie
© 2024 Collector Forums