LighthouseKeepers.com

The find of a lifetime or just a sign of the times?

Posted By: Randy Kremer

The find of a lifetime or just a sign of the times? - 07/13/20 12:37 PM

I haven't posted here in many years, but still check in from time to time. I go to flea markets pretty much every weekend and this past weekend was no exception. Early Saturday morning I went to my usual place north of Cincinnati and for the most part it's the same old stuff from the previous Saturday. I was just walking around like I always do and there it was sitting in the middle of the table - a Coquille River! I nervously picked it up and checked it out. It had some minor damage around the roof and on a few of the rocks, but for the most part it was in very good condition - lightning rod included. I asked the lady how much and she found her husband close by and he told me $5.00! Once I paid and got it bagged, I preceded to tell them a little history behind this special piece. He told me he bought out a collection and this was the last one. It had no box and no sticker on the bottom and the flag number is 195. I haven't had one in many years - had a few and sold them for big bucks back in the day. Now it sits proudly back in my display case where it belongs! Just goes to show - you never know what's still out there waiting to be found!
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: The find of a lifetime or just a sign of the times? - 07/13/20 10:48 PM

Great find. It would have been interesting to see what all the other lighthouses were. If my memory is correct there is 4 Coquille versions. According to your number, yours would be the 3 panel door with green frames around the glazing in the light tower identifying it as a California mold with Canadian paint and felt.. You probably have the green felt that doesn't go to the edge making it a very early Canadian produced. The California mold was used but it was pained and felt attached in Canada which would have had the larger brown box with Castle Studious stamped on it.
Against popular popular believe not all of the first 250 of the first 17 was California made. Only the Cape Hatteras filled the full order of 250 (plus the extras that was made for breakage) which made it 267 produced (before all the breakage). The only true way to know if you have a pure manufactured in California is by the plain brown Box. or the light gray felt. In my opinion when it comes to the coquille the only truly all California made was the artist proofs or counter samples and maybe the first 10. But with all that said us old collectors value the California mold just as valuable as the californium made. Congratulations on a fantastic find.

If you want to know more about the Coquille I wrote a comprehensive write up in one of my top ten on eBay (TOE) wright up. I personify have all the first 17 with box numbered 150 or less except the coquille and the Hatteras.
Posted By: Randy Kremer

Re: The find of a lifetime or just a sign of the times? - 07/14/20 12:23 PM

Thanks for the information Daniel. When I get home this afternoon, I'll have to look at it more closely and get back with you. At one time, I had 4 of these and sold one locally to a lady that didn't live too far from me. I was big in the secondary market 20+ years ago. I wish now I had written down the numbers. This could be the one I sold to her! When they got very valuable, I decided to sell the last two since I had young boys at the time and if one would have gotten broken, I never would get full value from my insurance company. Maybe it came back to me after all these years!
Posted By: Dave H

Re: The find of a lifetime or just a sign of the times? - 07/15/20 12:20 AM

Congratulations on your find, Randy. Maybe the piece did come back to you. Would have been nice to know for sure.
Posted By: The Cape Cod Store.com

Re: The find of a lifetime or just a sign of the times? - 07/26/20 11:52 PM

That is both a nice find and also a sign of the times. This is typical of what is going on in the marketplace these days. Part time Ebay and flea market "dealers" are buying up estates and yard sales and selling the Harbour Lights pieces for whatever they feel like. They have absolutely no concept of what the market value of a piece is and will either charge exorbitant prices for run-of-the-mill pieces or, as in this case, practically nothing for a piece which is valuable. Drives me crazy!!
Posted By: fllights

Re: The find of a lifetime or just a sign of the times? - 10/24/20 01:46 AM

Hi Daniel, How much is the market price these days for a Coquille River and are they extremely hard to find these days? Thanks, Todd
Posted By: The Cape Cod Store.com

Re: The find of a lifetime or just a sign of the times? - 10/24/20 02:02 AM

Todd, I can answer that one for you. Coquilles don't pop up very often. After a lull, I saw 3 or 4 in a relatively short span 2 or 3 years ago, but none since. While a few years ago one could be had for around $300, prices are climbing a bit now. Right now I would judge the market to be around $400-$500, depending on condition, having original box and COA, and country of origin. Unlike most pieces on the market these days, flag # may also be a determining factor in pricing.
Posted By: fllights

Re: The find of a lifetime or just a sign of the times? - 10/25/20 01:07 AM

Thank you Roland for the response and information. Very appreciated. If you ever get one in excellent condition in the $300 range, i would be interested.
© 2024 Collector Forums