LighthouseKeepers.com

Insuring Your Collectibles

Posted By: Bigbird

Insuring Your Collectibles - 09/15/16 07:03 PM

Hi all; long time no read! I was talking to my most recent insurance agent today and he said my collectibles would need an official appraisal. I have The Farmers and live in the SE of Virginia. Any ideas on 1) who I could get to appraise them and 2) how would one replace them since very few shops are still selling them? I haven't really bought any new ones in some time but this is probably one of a few expenses that need to be reimbursed should they be lost or damaged.

Thanks,
Steve
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: Insuring Your Collectibles - 09/16/16 08:24 AM

You can get separate insurance on all your collectibles from the Collectible Insurance Services at a very reasonable rate and not have to furnish any appraisal on your collectibles unless you have any valued at over $5,000.00 each (I believe).

I have never had to file a claim but know collectors that have filed with no problems. Your collectibles are covered for accidental breakage, burglary and even if you were transporting them and they got damaged. I carry double figure coverage and it cost me $87.00 per year. I just tell them what I want covered as collectible and that is it. I list my Sports Memorabilia, Harbour Lights and Anchor Bay and they are all covered individually or as a group up to my limit. I do not have to furnish an itemized list of what I have.

Their telephone number is 1-888-837-9537. Look them up on the web at https://collectinsure.com/ for more info.
Posted By: Bigbird

Re: Insuring Your Collectibles - 09/18/16 06:24 AM

Thanks Rich!
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: Insuring Your Collectibles - 09/18/16 08:34 AM

To answer your question on how to replace a piece (or pieces) I would say that Roland at the Cape Cod Store would be your best bet followed by EBay (which is always a gamble). For a value of a particular piece it is always up to the seller and/or buyer as to what they will sell for or are willing to pay.
© 2024 Collector Forums