LighthouseKeepers.com

The Smashing of Hillsboro

Posted By: RFoster

The Smashing of Hillsboro - 05/01/99 04:04 PM

I went to pick up Hillsboro just the other day and saw something that I had never seen before (only read about).

The customer in front of me was picking up a Hillsboro also. The small entryway, attached to the tower, was floating around inside of the skeletal tower (detached from the tower) on his piece, which is a standing order with a very low number.

My heart almost stopped when the salesperson grabbed the tower and ripped it from the base. She then took the base out back where she smashed it, in order to get the flag w/number on it to send back to Harbour Lights for a replacement. I might have yelled "Oh No!!", although I'm not sure. I am sure that my feelings and body language were saying it.

I know that this has been Harbour Lights policy from the start, in order to maintain quality and integrity in their product, but to see this happen in person is heartwrenching.

Have any of you witnessed anything like this before?

Ron
Posted By: Al and Kathy

Re: The Smashing of Hillsboro - 05/01/99 07:58 PM

We had to do it to the Hilton Head Open Edition. This was so the dealer could get credit for the broken one. Actually, it was quite hard to break. Thank heavens, it wasn't one of our limited although our dealer has sent one of ours back. We waited for the new one with the same no. to arrive. Hurts to watch, but great protection and quality control.

Kathy
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: The Smashing of Hillsboro - 05/01/99 08:50 PM

As you saw, Ron, the only piece that needs to be returned to HL for a credit is the flag. The assumption is the rest of the sculpture will have no value if the flag is 'chipped off'. (I suspect the whole base was broken in the process of lifting the flag.)
Posted By: RMau

Re: The Smashing of Hillsboro - 05/01/99 10:17 PM

The first I heard of this practice was just a couple of weeks ago. We were making the rounds of local dealers to freshen up the R@R inventory. While discussing R@R with one dealer he mentioned that he had a few retired pieces at home. He had hacksawed the flag out of broken pieces, returned the falg for credit and taken the remains of the piece home.

He knows there's no value to them, but says they display just fine if you make an attempt to paint over the 'scar' where the flag used to be.

Rick
Posted By: Robert M Dick

Re: The Smashing of Hillsboro - 05/03/99 11:34 AM

My fifth HL limited was Sanibel. When I first saw it, was not a member and was only interested in the outer banks pieces at that point, my dealer was doing this to a Sanibel much to my horror.

I first questioned her sanity and then asked why she would distroy such a beautiful replica. She explained the policy which made me believe in her desire to bring only the best to her small group of collectors.

I told her I'd have given any thing to have had that retired model. She had one left, thank God, and I was hooked.

Sounds like you are hooked. Remember it is a disease without a cure unless you get them all.

Moby of Tidewater Virginia
Posted By: Sara

Re: The Smashing of Hillsboro - 05/11/99 02:05 AM

Working for a retailer, I have been witness to a few of the Harbour Lights and Anchor Bay Destructions, and have also been given the honor of removing the flag as well. I must say it is a great reliever of any stress you might be experiencing at the time. It is a great way to make sure that only quality merchandise is reaching the collectors. And it is a lot of fun for us (mainly because the lighthouses were are destroying are not ours).

Sara
Posted By: Robert M Dick

Re: The Smashing of Hillsboro - 05/11/99 11:30 AM

Sara,

I'm wacko enough never to enjoy breaking up a Harbour Light.

Moby
Posted By: Bob M

Re: The Smashing of Hillsboro - 05/11/99 12:19 PM

I think I would like to be present when the defective HL gets destroyed. We all know they are very beautiful to look at, but do any of us actually know how strong the HLs are?

I treat mine like they were made out of fine crystal. I'm always careful not to bang them together or bump them against the cabinet when it's time for cleaning the curio.

I've been to dealers and seen sales clerks accidently bump two together when getting one out of their display cabinet. I always "cringe" a little when they do that. It would also be most interesting to see what it takes to snap a ventilator ball off the top of a piece.

No one wants to see any of their HLs sustain any damage. Perhaps a video could be made showing either how easy they are to damage or actually how much abuse they will take before they will break.

The video could be played at signings that have a VCR and TV combo handy. I'm sure Bill or Nancy don't want to cart video equipment with them. Maybe the video could take us inside the home of HL in El Cajon, California also. They could hire "Cecile Bob De Younger" to produce the video.

What do you folks think about that idea?

Bob
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: The Smashing of Hillsboro - 05/11/99 12:30 PM

On the other hand I have seen Harbour Lights for sale in retail shops at 50% off because they were broken, cracked or chipped and the dealers obviously didn't want to bother to return the damaged pieces. I don't like this practice either.

"the lightkeeper"
Posted By: Sara

Re: The Smashing of Hillsboro - 05/12/99 12:27 AM

Trust me, I treat my own Harbour Lights like babies when I am moving them or cleaning them at home. When I was cleaning the curios the other night, I was very cautious. I can tell you though that they are incredibly hard to break. I had to use a hammer and a screwdriver as a chisel to get out that darn flag. HL's policy is better than other companies. Some like Enesco don't require you to send back broken pieces. They tell you just to throw them away. That policy makes me concerned as some stores in my area have been busted for selling damaged goods as new. At least HL basically assures us we are getting perfect pieces with their policy.
© 2024 Collector Forums