LighthouseKeepers.com

The Harbour Lights that won't be made...

Posted By: Webmaster

The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/02/12 10:54 PM

...The Harbour Lights that won't be made... Planned for 2012. The paint samples were at the factory in late 2011, but were recalled to Maine. Carquinez California. More information from Lighthouse Friends:

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=69

Description: Carquinez CA - located in San Francisco Bay. US Coast Guard Photo
Attached picture carquinez.jpg
Posted By: MelJB

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/03/12 04:44 PM

Bet that was a really cool piece with all the pilings. Wonder what will happen to the paint sample? Any others?
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/03/12 06:26 PM

Great looking lighthouse !!!

I would love to buy the paint sample.

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/03/12 06:47 PM

They are probably in Don Devine's hands.

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/03/12 07:10 PM

Maybe the 2012 paint samples will show up on the LHD website!
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/04/12 04:32 PM

I do know where one of the paint samples is located. It is very nice and a shame that it wasn't produced..

Attached picture Carquinez.jpg

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/04/12 04:37 PM

Excellent, Paul. You matched your photo with the old black and white CG photo perfectly!

Loon, you are still dreaming.

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/04/12 04:42 PM

I never saw the photo before you posted, John, just luck that it matched.. Of course it is the best angle to show the light off..

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/04/12 07:21 PM

Beautiful piece !!!

Excellent pic, Paul !!!

John, Right now all I can do about Harbour Lights is DREAM !!!

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/04/12 07:27 PM

Here's another paint sample that they ended up not producing..

Doubling Point, I took the pictures for Harry to use on this one so I am doubly proud to have the paint sample of it..

Description: Doubling Point Lighthouse
Attached picture DoublingPoint.jpg

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/04/12 07:40 PM

Should I assume you have photos of the rest of the 2012 line that will never be sold?

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/04/12 08:10 PM

Nope no 2012 paint samples were ever produced..

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/04/12 08:11 PM

I do have another paint sample that wasn't produced that I need to find my image or shoot a new one..

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/04/12 08:20 PM

This one is one that Harry wanted to start a series with, but it only made it to being a paint sample.. I really liked Harry idea for a series of small unique lights..

Randall Warf Lighthouse

Attached picture RandallWarf.jpg
Posted By: akmn

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/04/12 10:37 PM

Randall Warf is sooooo cool looking!!! I wish that one would have made it to release!!!

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/05/12 03:44 AM

Great pics Paul! Those are really nice special HL to have in your collection.
Posted By: Rrronne

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/05/12 05:42 AM

Beautiful shots Paul.

I wonder what will happen to the samples also. Hope they sell them and not destroy them.

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/05/12 03:22 PM

Paul,
What year were these three paint samples made for? Did they get issued a HL number?
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/05/12 03:32 PM

Paul
Very impressive one of kind collection.

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/05/12 03:49 PM

There are a couple more when I get a moment I will shoot an image or two..

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/05/12 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: WackoPaul
This one is one that Harry wanted to start a series with, but it only made it to being a paint sample.. I really liked Harry idea for a series of small unique lights..

Randall Warf Lighthouse

What state is this from?

Having this size might have been able to get the per-piece price back to the original $50 from 1991.
Posted By: RMau

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/05/12 08:25 PM

Looks like it might be Maryland. Search Google for Randall Wharf Lighthouse. Or Connecticut?

Rick

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/05/12 08:26 PM

Maryland

That was part of Harry's idea for the series to offer them down in the $50 range and show some history of all different kinds of lights no matter how small or simple in makeup..

Attached picture Randall_Warf.jpg

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/05/12 09:18 PM

That is very cool. Too bad. Maybe CF can commission someone to make them. LOL

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/07/12 06:13 PM

Harry gave me permission to share his design drawings of Randall Warf, these are what the paint sample was produced off of..

Harry is very interested in everybody's reaction to the lighthouse..

Attached picture Warf1.jpg
Attached picture Warf2.jpg
Attached picture Warf3.jpg
Attached picture Warf4.jpg
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/07/12 07:11 PM

I sure like it. Too bad that Harry can't produce 2-3 new pieces every year to keep the collection going. That number of pieces would not fill up curio cabinets fast and would be very easy on the wallet. I would especially like Barber's Point HI to be done.
Posted By: Angels Gate

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/07/12 07:19 PM

I would buy it if I saw it somewhere, or from Harry himself, if he started a little business, but not if Lighthouse Marketing has anything to do with it. It is a terrific light, and a good idea.

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/07/12 08:07 PM

I think it looks cool !!!

I would love to have one like it, and others similar, in my collection.

Since it's a small simple lighthouse, it might be a perfect LLOM size piece that doesn't take up much footprint in our curio's.
Posted By: HCS

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/07/12 08:56 PM

Interesting Light I would buy one and know others who would too!
Posted By: MelJB

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/08/12 12:02 AM

What a fun looking lighthouse. You know these early types of lighthouses is something that is missing from my collection. I would buy this one and others that are "different". As this appears to have a smaller footprint I would have room to display. I've pretty much run out of walls for cabinets or for my husband to add "built in's".
Posted By: John Thomas

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/08/12 12:26 AM

I would buy anything that Harry would make. He is very talented. He was the backbone behind the HL pieces. Woul d love to see him start up a business.
Posted By: Rrronne

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/08/12 12:43 AM

i would snap one up if it was made.
Posted By: akmn

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/08/12 01:09 AM

Love the design thought that went into this piece! I too would echo the thought of a small offering of lights every year to keep the idea of a "lighthouse collectible" available to the true die-hards as long as the price could be kept reasonable. Harry's talents should be shared with collectors as much as possible, he is a true artist!!
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/08/12 01:58 AM

Another great looking small lighthouse that is long overdue, and would sell like hotcakes in the Washington DC area is the Jones Point Lighthouse. It's simple and along the lines of the piece we are looking at. It would be a perfect size somewhere between a LLOM and a GLOW. A LE of 500 would be a perfect edition size.
Posted By: mombo

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/08/12 03:27 AM

I think the building looks like an outhouse...

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/08/12 04:43 AM

Me, too Mombo.

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/08/12 04:59 AM

Harry can even make an outhouse look good.

I will totally support Harry on any of his Light house making adventures.

I believe there is a place for the small lighthouses. This is a line of figurines that haven’t been explored very much. HL started it with their first event pieces but they fell to the wayside for the big models.

I agree with Rich, after this one Harry could do the Jones point. The Savanna light would also be another good one.
If a pre-order form could be sent out and get collectors to commit. I think it could be handled like the forum exclusive where we all paid for the light first. This way Harry wouldn’t have to lay out all that money. Anything to keep Harry creating. Let’s not waist his talent but commit to support his project.
Posted By: Gekko

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/08/12 09:06 AM

I am a new collector as of this year and would love to see someone step up and keep this going. Start small quantity that fills the current demand and see where it goes. Big companies can never seem to react downward when needed so let's start anew!

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/08/12 02:21 PM

I do believe the small building is a storage shed not an outhouse.. They had to bring the oil/kerosene out by boat and probably stored some there.. Also they would only go out to light and extinguish the light, not stay out there.

There are problems with making small quantities, the factory has minimums and the smaller the quantity the more it cost to produce them.

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/08/12 02:21 PM

I would support the production of this light if Harry decided on that direction. I'd even buy multiple pieces if it helped in justifying the cost.

Although, Harry might just be showing us his designs and be leaving it at that.

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/08/12 02:26 PM

Harry sent me this design two years ago when he was proposing the series. I just asked his permission to share the drawings here, since I was showing some pieces that hadn't been produced but did make it to the paint sample stage..
Posted By: RMau

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/08/12 07:05 PM

I like the piece. But I'm not sure that I'd purchase it.

If Harry's Randal's Warf were to show up in stores I might add it as an example of the evolution and creativity of Aids to Navigation. Because I think it looks more like that than it looks like a lighthouse.

Rick

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/12/12 11:36 AM

I know we are getting carried away with the idea of Harry producing another figurine, but for fun let’s look at this idea.

I believe that 500 would be hard to sell. Lighthouse depot has been almost giving away the Alaskan reunion pieces and the Jordan Point and they still haven't sold out. (I believe their production was around 500) The CF exclusive is another example of how hard 500 is to sell.

I think the number needs to be 200, maybe 250 at the most. But as Paul said that drives up the cost.
I guess we are looking at a catch 22.

Also Harry does not own the Harbour Light name. But; to me this is not an issue. Harry could get a new company name like “Harbour Lights II” or “Harbour Lights the next generation” (Treky fans will understand).

Harry is Harbour Lights and whatever he makes would be part of my Harbour Lights collection, and if he could fill in some of the spots like Jones Point and Savanna Light that would be a sure sell in my book.

I think the only possible way Harry could survive financially on an endeavor like this would be to make them himself. This way the production could be kept down and the less Harry makes the less it would cost to make and the rarer the lighthouse. I know that Harry is an excellent designer and craftsman, and I assume he is an excellent artist, if not I know one of his family members is. This would be great that this could be done at home, but is this even possible or allowed by local codes, that is the question?

The original HL was designed, created and produced by C.R. Curtis who was a southern California Artist. He was contracted by Bill younger to produce 250 for the first 17. He didn’t follow thru and never completed his order, but he didn’t sell direct. I don’t know if Curtis did the work all himself but I would guess it was a small facility or maybe even out of his home, and he could be an example for Harry. Of Course Curtis didn’t have all the fancy pewter work then. That would still have to be manufactured somewhere else or eliminated.

What I am getting at that the only way I see The follow through of the Harbour Lights tradition would be Harry working out of his Garage (if he has one)or house.
Posted By: Gekko

Re: The Harbour Lights that won't be made... - 05/13/12 09:15 AM

Is Harry on these message boards? How old is Harry? I would love to hear from him here on this topic.
© 2024 Collector Forums