LighthouseKeepers.com

Lake Pontchartrain Light

Posted By: jw177

Lake Pontchartrain Light - 09/24/05 04:54 PM

http://www.thelighthousepeople.com/Gallery/Louisiana/New_Canal_Louisiana.html

Many of you may know of this website, but I just found it. New Canal Light was a favorite to visit when I traveled to New Orleans, and I wondered how it faired. This shows in pictures that it did not do well. Also you may notice that it only has two windows just below the lens rather than four as Harbour Lights produced it.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Lake Pontchartrain Light - 09/25/05 01:35 PM

What a shame. Those pictures of the lighthouse before the storm are really good. The one after the storm doesn't look good. Hopefully, this wonderful part of lighthouse history will rise again to its original glory.

frown Bob frown
Posted By: bcatfan

Re: Lake Pontchartrain Light - 09/25/05 03:23 PM

I found another picture last night:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1153777

Hopefully, it can still be saved.
Posted By: Lighthouser

Re: Lake Pontchartrain Light - 09/25/05 04:43 PM

Since this has been the site of the busiest Coast Guard Station in the world, hopefully, the lighthouse itself has a good chance of being saved.

We can hope.

Judy
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Lake Pontchartrain Light - 09/25/05 08:14 PM

CG moved out of the New Canal Station sometime in the past couple of years. The light has been on the available list under NHLPA. Memory says there was more than one groupe interested. Since one of the stories I read said the building had been taken off of its foundation I wonder how much interest there will be in trying to save it. With all the destruction in the area and the bottomless pit of reconstruction dollars the area will be, I wonder if there will be much interest in trying to save the building. (Obviously not thrilled about that possibility, but definitely a real possibility.)
Posted By: Lighthouser

Re: Lake Pontchartrain Light - 09/25/05 08:50 PM

Thanks Dave. Your info is current.
I'm also afraid your analyisis of today's situation is correct.

I'm not thrilled either at the prospect.

Judy
© 2024 Collector Forums