LighthouseKeepers.com

Florida Tag approved by House and Senate

Posted By: ericlighthouse

Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 04/30/08 02:58 PM

The Florida Lighthouse Tag has now been approved by both House and Senate. We expect the Governor will sign when it gets to his desk.

The extra money people spend to get one will go the Florida Lighthouse Association for restortation and preservation of Florida Lighthouses.

Believe or not it was a fight to get this approved.

I will update when the Governor signs and when the tags can be purchased (if you live in Florida).
Posted By: sandy

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 04/30/08 03:46 PM

Eric,

"Tag" refers to a license plate?

Sandy
Posted By: kikigl

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 04/30/08 04:01 PM

I'm so excited and I can't wait to get one! I've wanted this for long time! towel groupwave
Posted By: Weasel58

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 04/30/08 04:37 PM

Hey Eric, is this the one with St. Augie on it?
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 04/30/08 08:15 PM

Yes, Sandy.
Posted By: sandy

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 04/30/08 09:43 PM

Many thanks to that man of few words of late!!
Posted By: Lighthouse Duo

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 04/30/08 10:18 PM

Quote:
I wonder what a "tag" is? confused
Posted By: Weasel58

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 05/01/08 12:15 AM

Tags are the license plates that are attached to your car. Some states require them on the front and back, but most like Florida only require them on the back.
Posted By: Lighthouse Duo

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 05/01/08 09:01 PM

Thanks Eric !! applaud
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 05/02/08 01:08 AM

Quote:
Its a Florida Thing.

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 05/10/08 02:18 PM

Yes, it will have St. Augustine Lighthouse on it. Most people who know Florida has a lighthouse or two (we have 30)recognize St. Augustine. I might add Kathy who runs that lighthouse and museum was very helpful in our effort.
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 05/10/08 03:48 PM

let us know the cost and how and when you can get one whenever you all ready have tags.
Posted By: Cyndi

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 05/10/08 05:03 PM

It would be nice if those of us who do not live in Florida could buy one as a collectors item and to help with the restoration and preservation of the Florida Lighthouses.
Posted By: kikigl

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 05/10/08 06:05 PM

If the bill gets signed by the Governor, how long will it be before we can purchase one?
Posted By: silverfox51

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 05/11/08 11:23 PM

For those who may be interested, Florida is a state that offers "Sample" plates. These are a plate of a regular back ground with a single letter/number sequense or the word "sample" printed on them for those who would want an example of that state's license plate but do not live in that state. Not all states offer these plates nor are all of a state's plates offered. Different states have different prices and ways to get these plates and again, Florida is one of them.

A web site that contains the most information about this and other subjects is "www.licenseplates.cc". It also contains info on new plates coming out and some other sites where plates may be found for purchase.

I don't know how long it will be for this plate to show up on the availability list. For now, it appears the 1998 plate series is what is available. However, contact with the Florida DMV after the plate release will be more fruitfull.

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 05/13/08 04:13 AM

HOW LONG? From what I am told most likely early next year.
Posted By: Beaconfollower

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 05/21/08 09:05 PM

This is so great, now when I move to Florida in
2 years I can get one. Thanks for the info! vhappy

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 06/02/08 12:24 AM

It is offical the Governor signed the bill.
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 06/02/08 01:27 AM

I was in the Tag Bureau on Friday renewing my tags for 2008 and they had a sample of the new tag on the board. It looks great, but, I will have to pass on it because they only allow 6 characters on the specialty tags that have a symbol on the side and my tag is currently the standard Florida tag with "COASTIE" on it. My wife has the Florida "Black Bear" tag and won't give it up so guess if I want a lighthouse tag I will have to buy a 3rd car and that isn't going to happen.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 06/03/08 07:13 PM

Rich, ...There's always COASTY or COASTI. Or perhaps USCGRT

smile Bob
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 06/03/08 11:41 PM

Bob - I waited over 15 years for this "COASTIE" on my plate. It was being used by a Coastie stationed at CG Headquarters in 1985 when I retired. The Coastie that had this Florida Tag finally retired and moved to California in 1988 and gave it up. I had to wait 5 years until 1993 to reuse the "COASTIE". I've had it since 1993 and will keep it until Taps is played for me. Coastie is the official slang for someone in or retired from the CG so no other spelling will do, lighthouse plate or no lighthouse plate.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 06/04/08 11:14 AM

Your COASTIE plate certainly has a history, Rich. I can see why you wouldn't want to give it up. I feel the same way about my NORTH plate. It was one of the first vanity plates issued in Massachusetts back in 1966. I wouldn't give it up for a Cape & Islands plate (Nauset Light on same), even though I like the C&I plate.

smile Bob

Re: Florida Tag approved by House and Senate - 06/04/08 01:41 PM

Hey Rich, I understand about your plate, however, can you get a friend or neighbor to buy one? Or you could just send $25.00 to the Florida Lighthouse Association every year?
© 2024 Collector Forums