LighthouseKeepers.com

Tonight on Discovery Channel

Posted By: mombo

Tonight on Discovery Channel - 01/18/01 02:52 AM

8pm Eastern - Show about Andrea Doria
9pm Eastern - Show about 1991 storm in Gloucester.

Maybe some lighthouses to see? I have no idea if these are new shows or old ones.

(Must be Andrea day?)
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Tonight on Discovery Channel - 01/18/01 03:51 AM

Thanks for the info, Sue. I remember when the Andrea Doria collided with the Stockholm. I was just a kid but I can still remember the front page of the Daily Record (now the Boston Herald) with the picture of the Andrea Doria listing hard before she went down.

A lot of area divers have lost there lives paying visits to that sunken ship.

Bob
Posted By: oseabee

Re: Tonight on Discovery Channel - 01/18/01 04:13 AM

I'll never forget the night the doria went down.I was on duty at SAR Boston up in the custom house and things were quite hectic till N.Y. took over;Bill O'Brien oseabee

Re: Tonight on Discovery Channel - 01/18/01 06:59 AM

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 01-18-2001).]

Re: Tonight on Discovery Channel - 01/18/01 07:01 AM

Well, the show was about salvage operations. Seems as thought this guy named Peter Gimble (heir to the department store Gimbles) and his wife had a passion for finding treasure in two safes. They were also interested in finding out whether a connecting door between the engine room and the compartment that took the hit had been left open or was missing and thus caused the generators to shut down and the pumps to stop. This, if proven correct, apparently would have caused the ship to sink. In 1981, after many fruitless attempts, the Gimbles got the manpower and equipment together to tackle the project. They were able to retrieve one of the safes and disprove the open/missing door theory. They have both since died and their ashes were interred in the ship.

I don't believe I had previously seen "The Storm". And I didn't spot any lighthouses in either show.
© 2024 Collector Forums