LighthouseKeepers.com

IF

Posted By: orv

IF - 11/10/99 10:38 PM

If you got to decide on the color scheme on a basic smokestack style lighthouse what would you do?
Posted By: Weasel58

Re: IF - 11/10/99 11:05 PM

Orv,
That's a tough one. I have two styles I would go with. I would paint it Black and White banded Like Bodie IsLand or Fire Island. Or I would Leave it Like Currituck, no paint makes a really different Lighthouse.
Posted By: KT

Re: IF - 11/10/99 11:32 PM

Really like the schemes of Hatteras, Cape Lookout, Jupiter, and Sankaty (please HL!) so I have decided not to decide!!!

------------------
Ken T
Posted By: LamarB

Re: IF - 11/11/99 12:30 AM

I kinda' like Montauk, NY.

Or Poe Reef.

NOT!
Posted By: mombo

Re: IF - 11/11/99 02:35 AM

Can't decide between paisley, argyle or a nice tartan plaid!

How about a green and white stripe, that would be different?

Mombo
Posted By: Bob M

Re: IF - 11/11/99 03:27 AM

I love LHs with red on them. Examples would be Sean Pines, Barnegat, Assategue, Holland, New London Ledge, White Shoal, and East Quoddy. The scheme doesn't matter as much as the color to me.

Bob
Posted By: Digger

Re: IF - 11/11/99 04:50 AM

Since I am a plain boring "down-in-the-earth" kinda guy, I would have to go with no paint. I like the natural brick scheme. Of course then there's the gold speckled, ivory handled, satin lined, self sealing type that I love. Then we have to decide on metal or wood. Man, this is tough!
Posted By: Pam Baggett

Re: IF - 11/11/99 05:01 AM

Although Barnagat is my favorite the simplicity of Pigeon Point, white with a red roof seems to be my choice.
Pam
Posted By: ddaniels

Re: IF - 11/11/99 05:05 AM

How about a diamond pattern ala Cape Lookout, except in red and white?
Posted By: Dave H

Re: IF - 11/11/99 06:30 AM

For a little twist, how about a New Cape Henry in red & white? Might be a little much but would stand out.

Quote:
I love LHs with red on them.

Bob, I think Holland would give you more than enough of a red fix!

Dave
Posted By: Len Ariagno

Re: IF - 11/11/99 01:54 PM

I would like to see a red and white candy cane stripe similar to the White Shoal,MI
Len
Posted By: Lighthousedude

Re: IF - 11/11/99 02:49 PM

How about a plain white tower with a blue lantern room and multi-color polka dots all over it???????????

Now that I got that out of my system Cape Lookout is the scheme I would use.
Posted By: Joanne

Re: IF - 11/11/99 05:35 PM

I think I'm partial to natural brick. I like the look of Gay Head and Currituck. If it had to be painted, then I would go with
black and light gray with red lantern room.

Joanne
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: IF - 11/11/99 06:44 PM

How about a white tower with random black areas (not circlular) like a midwestern dairy cow ?

Ok, it was just a thought

[This message has been edited by Mark Wagner (edited 11-13-99).]
Posted By: DonnaJLM

Re: IF - 11/11/99 08:01 PM

Would the spotty black and white one be the Gateway Lighthouse?

Re: IF - 11/11/99 11:04 PM

I would have to go with the West Quoddy-East Quoddy scheme. I think that they are both great day marks.

"TheLightkeeper"

Re: IF - 11/11/99 11:22 PM

I did a little research and found my idea is not original, but I did find a photo of the lighthouse at Ocracow Island, a very small island on the northern part of Wisconsin's side of Lake Michigan.
Mark
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=40133&a=450382&p=13497609&Sequence=1[/img]

[This message has been edited by Mark Wagner (edited 11-13-99).]
Posted By: LINDA

Re: IF - 11/11/99 11:47 PM

I like the idea of a red diamond pattern (I too am partial to the red). Of course it wouldn't be easy to outdo the cow (wouldn't that make a great HL?).
Posted By: JTimothyA

Re: IF - 11/12/99 01:53 AM

IF - wasn't that a kinda wierd movie starring Malcom McDowell?

or was it Rudyard Kipling, hmmmm...

Mark's picture reminds me of an old saying: Catch a fish for a man and you feed him for a day, but teach him how to use adobe photoshop and he'll bring you udder delights.

Moooooving on up,
__
/im
[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 11-11-99).]

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 11-11-99).]
Posted By: RezmanDale

Re: IF - 11/12/99 10:12 PM

I have to admit I like the Ocracow Is. pattern. But cape lookout has my favorite daymark pattern.

Dale
Posted By: Bob M

Re: IF - 11/12/99 11:10 PM

Hey Mark, ...You are unbelievable! You never cease to amaze me. LOL !!!

Bob
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: IF - 11/13/99 01:44 AM

Isn't that Ocracow over on the Missouri - somewhere around were Gateway Computer is Headquartered?

[Nice work, Mark]
Posted By: Barb Kepple

Re: IF - 11/13/99 07:31 PM

Mark - I love your Ocracow Light!! How did you ever find it? It's got to take the prize for the most original!

But for a daymark, I have to go with the diamond pattern of Cape Lookout.

I agree with your Whitefish Bay for Y2K!!!

Barb

Re: IF - 11/14/99 01:13 AM

__
/ im,
Are you suggesting that I had in some manner doctored the Ocracow Island photo ? I am nearly offended ! After I had posted my first thought on the cow like paint job, a couple of fellow lighthouse enthusiasts contacted me with their pictures from a trip they took to the little known island of Ocracow. I believe you even know them, as they met many fellow Harbour Lights collectors at Beavertail lighthouse on the reunion bus trip, that's right ! these pictures were taken by Rock and Jayne (and their tripod and camera with a timer of course)

Posted By: Rusty

Re: IF - 11/14/99 04:42 AM

I agree with some of you. I like the natural brick such as Currituck, and Ponce de Leon, but if it had to be painted, I would have to go with the St. Augustine look of black-white stripes, with red top.

Rusty