LighthouseKeepers.com

Wacko Meets Wacko for the first time

Posted By: Nana

Wacko Meets Wacko for the first time - 02/17/01 08:04 PM

Our Thursday night meeting was a fun time, but when doesn't the Tampa HL club have fun?

The best for me was meeting Bill O'Brien for the first time, face to face. Hopefully, since there is no club nearer than we are, he will become an active member. Eric(weasel), Mike Hancock, Bill and I were the only active forum folks in attendance, but there were close to 40 in number.

We had a great speaker who does watercolor pieces and was originally from LA. He had quite a bit of knowledge as he researches what he paints.

The club is involved, as you know, with the restoration of Anclote Key. This Sunday a group is going out to begin clean-up work on the island. If you get Lighthouse Digest, you have already read the info about the relighting the light in the Feb. issue.

The invitation is always open to anyone who is the area or wants to drive a little to get together with fellow wackos.

Derith

[This message has been edited by Nana (edited 02-17-2001).]
Posted By: Weasel58

Re: Wacko Meets Wacko for the first time - 02/17/01 11:15 PM

Actually Nana, we will be going out next Sunday the 25th to Anclote Key to start the clean-up. RIP wanted this Sunday, but more people could go next Sunday.
Also I enjoyed meeting Bill O'Brien, and hope he will join us again.

[This message has been edited by Weasel58 (edited 02-17-2001).]
Posted By: oseabee

Re: Wacko Meets Wacko for the first time - 02/18/01 01:04 AM

Yes derith and weasel I reall enjoyed the meeting (both of them)you have a great club.From what I saw there probably isn't much they cant accomplish when they set thier minds to it.I hope to be able to do whatever I can.Bill O'Brien oseabee
Posted By: TGIFIF

Re: Wacko Meets Wacko for the first time - 03/05/01 06:14 AM

I have not had the pleasure of meeting Bill yet, but I did meet another WACKO! I meet with Carol Z, she is the first non-Flordian Waco person I have meet. & I have to say Wacos outside of Fl are just as nice as the ones I have meet here! Carol is from NJ & was down here on business, & was nice enough to let me go lighthouseing with her. We covered a lot of miles & had a GREAT time. Thanks Carol! Hope we meet up again sometime.

TGIFIF
Posted By: CarolZ

Re: Wacko Meets Wacko for the first time - 03/05/01 01:52 PM

Hey Gail, You're right, we had a great time!! I managed to see 10 lighthouses in 2.5 days. Gail and I had planned to go to Tampa but then discovered that the lighthouses are not easily accesible. I was surprised how close our HL experiences have been. Gail is a true "Wacko".
Now I am stranded in New Jersey with 2 feet of snow expected. I want to be in Florida again!!!
Good luck with the Anaclote lighthouse project.
Posted By: RFoster

Re: Wacko Meets Wacko for the first time - 03/05/01 04:49 PM

Carol & Gail it is nice to hear stories like this, where the love of lighthouses and collecting HLs brings people together. I just feel badly that you couldn't have stayed in FL longer Carol and missed the storm. Right now the roads here in Groton are icy and we are bracing for high winds and snow later in the day. MJ and I will be in sunny FL on March 17th and hopefully get some lighthousing in. Carol, it would be nice to read about the lighthouses you visited. Maybe you would send one to Ray Patnaude for inclusion in the next NELL newsletter, The NE Beacon. Thanks to both of you for posting here and showing others what a great hobby this is and a way to meet some wonderful people.

"Keeping The Flame in New England"
Ron

[This message has been edited by RFoster (edited 03-05-2001).]
Posted By: DaveVB

Re: Wacko Meets Wacko for the first time - 03/06/01 03:53 AM

Hi - I'm another newbie. I've been lurking for a while, making up my mind to join in. One thing that puzzles me a bit..and that is: what, exactly, is the meaning of WACKO? I've generally got the picture that it is a lighthouse enthusiast - perhaps even a HL fanatic. However, since I work in an acronym-intgensive industry, it looks to me like a duck - I mean, an acronym. Can anyone enlighten me? (sorry about that - couldn't resist!) :-)
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: Wacko Meets Wacko for the first time - 03/06/01 04:08 AM

Welcome again Dave! John Chidester the webmaster moved your earlier question to this other forum and as you will see, I responded to your question and a lot of folks welcomed you on board.
http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum26/HTML/000102.html

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 03-05-2001).]
Posted By: DaveVB

Re: Wacko Meets Wacko for the first time - 03/08/01 04:21 AM

Thanks for the pointer to my first post. When I returned here the first time I didn't see it, and thought that AOL had done me in again. So, now I've found it, and all the friendly folks who welcomed a newbie. Wow!
I even took a WACKO test ... I guess I'm not quite there, yet. But, I did read all the way through the 50 posts, so I guess I won a "W" (Any old H-O-R-S-E players out there?
Anyway, thanks for the welcome!
Posted By: TGIFIF

Re: Wacko Meets Wacko for the first time - 03/08/01 05:23 AM

Ron, I am half way between Jupiter & Hillsboro. If there is any way I can help with info or whatever, please let me know.

TGIFIF
Posted By: RFoster

Re: Wacko Meets Wacko for the first time - 03/08/01 06:18 AM

Thanks Gail. We are meeting up with friends and fellow HL collectors who have some lighthousing in our plans. I will certainly keep you in mind if help is needed. Again, I appreciate your offer.

Ron
(CT Keeper)
© 2024 Collector Forums