LighthouseKeepers.com

Lighthouses That Are B&B's

Posted By: bonnebert

Lighthouses That Are B&B's - 01/16/04 05:34 PM

Over the holidays at a gathering, someone asked me if I knew of any lighthouses that are B&B's. I thought of Rose Island, but she wants to stay only a few nights/weekends. I know they exist, and I know forum members can help me to find the information.

Joyce
Posted By: eskilady

Re: Lighthouses That Are B&B's - 01/16/04 05:47 PM

Selkirk Lighthouse in Pulaski, NY is not a bed and breakfast but more like a guest cottage. It has a full kitchen and 4 or 5 bedrooms. You can rent it by the night or by the week and stay there. It is a very beautiful lighthouse but noisy at 4 AM when the salmon fisherman come out to play. We spent a night there and it was great! smile

Eskilady
Posted By: Shirin

Re: Lighthouses That Are B&B's - 01/16/04 05:51 PM

Do you have the contact info for Selkirk Eskilady?
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Lighthouses That Are B&B's - 01/16/04 05:57 PM

Don't forget Big Bay, Sand Hills and Two Harbors all up on Lake Superior. Here is a listing of lights that let you stay overnight. Some are lights where you are the keeper, so you stay longer than one or two nights. And, don't forget this year's society redemption piece, East Brother.

Re: Lighthouses That Are B&B's - 01/16/04 06:21 PM

Nevermind...I found it with a quick search of the internet.
Posted By: PFC

Re: Lighthouses That Are B&B's - 01/17/04 02:54 AM

laugh Joyce - You might want to check out this section on Jeremy D'Entremont's website, New England Lighthouses A Virtual Guide. It lists lighthouses all over the country with overnight accomodations! Check it out at the following link:

http://lighthouse.cc/links/overnight.html

All my best,
Paul Conlin
Acting Secretary,
American Lighthouse Foundation
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Lighthouses That Are B&B's - 01/17/04 04:03 AM

Strangely enough, that is the page that is linked to in my post above. The page will also hotlink you to the various different B&B's.
Posted By: Mike Hershberger

Re: Lighthouses That Are B&B's - 01/17/04 08:55 AM

I'll interject here and say that if you're looking in the Great Lakes area, Big Bay (as mentioned by Dave) is an excellent place. My wife and I stayed there only one night, but the whole place was unbelievable. The rooms were beautiful, the hosts were great, the setting was nice from what I hear (we had fog so thick we could barely see the lake), and the breakfast was delicious.

So there's my unsolicited opinion.
Posted By: Beaconfollower

Re: Lighthouses That Are B&B's - 01/18/04 01:41 AM

Shirin - I went with Eskilady and the business card I have from there is for Lighthouse Marina
Pulaski NY 315-298-6688. They would know the lady that does the booking. Eskilady may have more info. Oops, sorry I just read you have it. It was alot of fun.

Re: Lighthouses That Are B&B's - 01/18/04 03:36 AM

Thanks for the number! I called and the office manager is on vacation so I'll try back in a few days. Hopefully I'll be able to get a night there for my trip in April.
Posted By: Jazzer

Re: Lighthouses That Are B&B's - 01/18/04 08:15 PM

Thirty Mile Point as well.
http://www.niagara-usa.com/attractions/30_mile_lighthouse.html
Posted By: Larry R

Re: Lighthouses That Are B&B's - 01/18/04 09:43 PM

Two harbors is really a nice place, because it is a working harbor, there is always activity with ore boats coming in and out.

You get the added bonus of having Split Rock being 30 minutes away, and then the trip down to Duluth where the Canal Park area has another light and the hustle and bustle of tourists and the largest inland port in the world.
Posted By: bonnebert

Re: Lighthouses That Are B&B's - 01/19/04 04:44 PM

Thank you, all of you, for the information. We were away this weekend at Calvert Marine Museum for Winter Lights, so I'm just reading all the responses. One of our Chapter members noticed my Wacko badge and inquired. Told her it was a great place to meet people, find information, and ask for information. I will pass all of this along to my new friend, and keep it for myself, and hopefully work in a stay at one of them in our travels.

Joyce
© 2024 Collector Forums