LighthouseKeepers.com

Making the Jump From Lurker

Posted By: wheland

Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/11/01 05:27 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but here goes

I'm curious about something. I've noticed recently that we have had a number of new Participants who had been lurkers for an extended period.

Here's my questions for all -

How long did you lurk before jumping into the participant pool?

Why so long/ short a period of time?

What caused you to make the leap from (as Ron Foster put it) "Lurking & Looking" (L&L) to "Participating & Posting" (P&P)?

Just a curious Wacko here.
Here's my answer-

I first learned of Harbour Lights in May of 1999. I purchased my first one in June of 1999. I discovered the website/forums in july and actively joined in August 1999.

Never really considered "lurking". I held back as this was my first experience with forums, newsgroups etc.I just waited long enough to get the lay of the land.

I then jumped in and expressed my opinions and I've kept doing so ever since. Every once in a while someone will agree with me.

Let's hear from some others on this.

Dennis
Posted By: JTimothyA

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/11/01 09:36 AM

Good topic, Dennis.

I learned there was a group of folks interested in Harbour Lights hanging out on AOL. I actually joined AOL for that reason (and that reason only). Spent a day reading all the back messages in the AOL Lighthouse Collectors forum. Shy wallflower that I am it took me another day to start posting. Then about a week to jump into the chat sessions. LOL!

When AOL decided to disallow 'for sale' items over a certain price in its regular forums a few of us began talking about starting an HL newsgroup. JC up and got a copy of the UBB forum software running and invited a few of the regulars to play around with it in preview mode. It was nice to drop AOL as quickly as they dropped my connection to them so many times.

And here we are today. :-)

The kind of discussion/idea exchange we have here is what the Net is all about. Its great! Brings people together and there's absolutely no doubt these forums have vastly increased folk's knowledge about HL and lighthouses in general.

How 'bout some of you lurkers out there jump into this thread with your first message. We know you're out there and would love to have your participation!

Rgds,
__
/im

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 03-11-2001).]
Posted By: GerryBu

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/11/01 07:22 PM

Dennis,
It was well over a year after I started collecting before I even found these forums. Following that, I really learned a lot about Harbour Lights from the knowledgeable people on these forums but did't post for many months. These forums really increased my interest in Harbour Lights and decreased my wallet. Oh Well, Its sure a lot of fun. GerryBu
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/12/01 02:51 PM

I was hungry for info so jumped right in but I was very careful what I said for fear one of the "experts' would cut me down to size! LOL This was very much unfounded since I later realized the zinging only happens to those who we "know and love." But to an 'newbie' or 'lurker', it can be quite unsettling.
- Bob
Posted By: JCRice

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/12/01 04:32 PM

Well...FINALLY I found a topic that I felt comfortable in responding. As you can see, with this post, I am making the jump from the quiet realms of a "lurker" to the big world of a "newbie", so I felt that this would be the pefect time for me to express my opinion (and FINALLY break the ice). Here are my answers to the questions:

How long did it take...?
Well, I've been collecting for a couple of years now and I found this site shortly after starting. But, to be fair, I have only been a serious lurker on these forums for about 3 months now.

Why did it take me so long to participate?
Simply said, it took this long for me to find a comfort level with everything and to understand the lay of the land. Judging by the knowledge level of all the WACKOS out there, this process can be quite intimidating ...

What caused my leap from L&L to P&P...?
Honestly, it was finding the right topic to make the leap...

Well, I think that I've said enough. I am pleased to finally join the ranks of "newbie". I look forward to interacting with all of you in the future and I will be counting the days until I make the level of WACKO .

-J
Posted By: Naders

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/12/01 05:02 PM

Hi all. My wife and I really got hooked on HL while we were down in Florida on our honeymoon last April. We had seen the sculptures before while up in Alabama, but never really took the time to look at them. While in Florida, we were in this one store, and they had a whole display of them right out in the open. We were able to really get up close and examine them in great detail. At that moment, we were hooked.

As soon as we got back to Alabama, we went to our collectible store, and began collecting. Our first (and still my favorite) was Old Point Comfort.

Well, I began coming to this website around that time. I lurked until about June, then I registered, and began my postings. I don't post everyday, although I visit on a daily basis. Also, as you can see, I am slowly getting closer to my official web forum "WACKO" status. Five more posts and I'll be there. See ya all soon in WACKO land.
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/12/01 05:33 PM

Welcome on board JCRice!
You say you have been collecting for a couple of years now, what was the first Harbour Lights Lighthouse that you purchased?

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame
Posted By: JCRice

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/12/01 06:03 PM

Thanks, engbrady...

My first piece was the Cape Hatteras GLOW. It was actually a Christmas gift from my mother (she knew of my admiration of lighthouses from family vacations to the Outer Banks, so it was a natural fit). I'm now up to 19 (#20 is coming in the mail any day now). I know it's not that many but, in the two years I've been collecting, I've had to plan and help pay for a wedding. Now that that's out of the way, I can move onto MORE IMPORTANT things

Thanks, again, for the welcome...
-J
Posted By: BGBaccaro

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/12/01 07:37 PM

Dennis,

To answer your questions, I have been collecting since early '98, and I actually registered for the forums in Nov. 1998, but since I spent so much time "on-the-air" as an Amateur Radio operator (Ham), I simply never got around to jumping in here. I watched many friendships grow on the forums just as they have for me as a Ham over many years, and I finally decided that I would like to become part of the large group of friendly enthusiasts here.

Since my wife and I will be attending the reunion this Fall, I also thought it was time to join in and meet many of you before we journey to Baltimore.
Posted By: Pharologst

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/12/01 09:24 PM

I found the site the third week of Sep/2000 and was a wacko about 17 days later. The reason it took me so long was that I had a LHousing trip in between. My avg. daily posts are down now since I moved and set up my other love, a woodworking shop, but I do both everyday!

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 03-12-2001).]
Posted By: wheland

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/12/01 11:25 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Keep 'em coming.

There's alot of people out here we haven' heard from.

I'm glad this topic helped you make the jump JC Rice. Don't let these people fool you. their bark is worse than their bite, especially since they can't touch you.

You can find out just about anything you need to know, and some things you don't, about Harbour lights (and sometimes things that have nothing to do with HL).

We are usually a ver cordial group.

Sound off- it won't hurt, even if someone does not agree with you.

Dennis
Posted By: RFoster

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/12/01 11:51 PM

Hi JCRice and a big warm welcome to the Collector Forums and this wonderful Harbour Lights family of collectors. It's nice to have another person from CT join in the fun here. I would like to hear of your trips to the Outer Banks, MJ and I have yet to make it there.

Thanks Dennis for starting this thread. I think that it is great and helps more HL family break the ice (as JC says). It is always nice to see new faces around here and to hear their tales of how they got hooked on lighthouses (and HL in particular).

A brief note about MJ and I. We started (like so many others) by buying one HL lighthouse. It was after climbing St. Augustine in FL back in 1994 I believe. Actually, I did the climbing while MJ sat in the car. When we got home to CT we saw St. Augustine in a collectibles store and had to have it. Now all of our vacations include lighthouses (and MJ climbs them with me).

I'm not sure how I first heard about St. John's earlier website but when I did I would visit it almost every night.

I'm so thankful to John and to all of those people who have decided to become part of this extended family. I look forward to reading everyone's posts, especially the newer members such as JC and Bruce.

"Keeping The Flame in New England"
Ron
Posted By: Lorie Roe

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/13/01 12:44 AM

This is a good topic Dennis! I bought my first HL in San Francisco in 1996 from Scan Trends. The HL model of Alcatraz had just been released so that was my first HL purchase. The lady that owns Scan Trends was very helpful in answering my questions and helping me become an informed buyer. I was able to start a charter membership from her store so that I could get Point Fermin at retail. She also sold me the Christmas piece of Big Bay Point. After I returned home to Salt Lake City, I was hooked and started the search for pieces at my local dealers.

I collected for a year and didn't know there was a HL site on the internet. In 1997,I had the priviledge of sitting next to Rick and Linda Mau on the dinner cruise at the first HL reunion in San Diego. He told me about the collectors site on aol. I read all the comings and goings of the aol site and then on to the new HL site that John started. I still didn't post because I didn't think I had anything of interest to pass on to others.

I finally signed up I believe in the fall of 1998. I didn't post much at first but decided the past few years it was fun to participate. I now enjoy checking out the site each day and reading all the comments. I truly believe that these forums have helped me become a better collector. I am always amazed at the vast information I have been able to utilize because of what I have read from all the participants of the forums. Thanks to all of you!
Posted By: lmyhre

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/13/01 03:03 AM

I started collection HL's in 1996. I "lurked" for a long time (6 months or more)before making my first post. In my real life, I'm somewhat quiet and listen more than I talk, and that carries over into my forum life where I read and learn much more than I post. Frankly, I could do without some of the "chatter" on the forums but I don't begrudge those that do. What I enjoy most is learning about HL's and lighthouses - "just the facts, mam" as Joe Friday used to say. (If you know what that refers to, you'll know my general age bracket; if not, you're probably younger than me.)

Larry
Posted By: Barb Kepple

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/13/01 03:48 AM

Good topic, Dennis, and another welcome to the newbies posting on this thread!

I started collecting four years ago after a trip to Maine and then seeing a HL replica of a light we had visited. Bob (hubby) actually found John's site for me and I was a lurker for a long while. I guess I just didn't feel I had anything to offer, but I sure was learning a lot. It's been great to continue learning from so many of you, and to offer an opinion once in a while! Lighthouse people are the best!

Barb
Posted By: Pat PalmerBall

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/13/01 03:16 PM

Welcome JCRice You are from my hometown (Bridgeport, CT). A long time ago we moved to Louisville with GE. Anyway...glad you took the plunge, the water is warm and friendly no matter what the topic.
Now...on to the topic at hand....
Guess I was a lurker for about 2 years before I just plunged ahead. And it didn't even hurt one bit

KYKEEPER - Pat
Posted By: TGIFIF

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/13/01 09:51 PM

Hi all newbies, WELCOME!

I actually started a collection for my step-mom. She LOVED lighthouses. So on a trip from seeing my "kid" in TX I stopped at a collectable shop in Alabama. I asked a young man about lighthouse collections. & there it all began. He showed me how much better HL is than other makers. So I bought Currituck at his suggestion. Then I got hooked on the hunt. So I started collecting for both of us. Before enough hollidays passed to give her a lot of the ones I bought her, she divorced my Dad. So now I have this collection of lighthouses that I love dearly. & yes, I still have Currituck.

A dealer told me about the web site. Where I read the post to learn more about the product. I regestered to post something then did not have much else to say. took years to get waco status. My spelling is REALLY BAD!! & I don't know how to get spell check on web posts. The reunion tripled my post # because I want to learn so much before I go up there. & maybe get to "know" a few more people, so I won't be such a stanger.

TGIFIF
Posted By: Digger

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/13/01 11:37 PM

I received my first HL in 1993 (Cana Island) as a Christmas gift from my mom. I failed to catch the bug at that time and it was carefully crammed in with all my other dusty "treasures" on shelves in the entertainment center where it remained forgotten for 5 years. While on vacation in Mackinaw City, MI in 1998 I rediscovered HL's and since then they have been the flagship of my collectible armada.

It took me about a day or two after my second HL to discover the HL's website and these forums. I had many questions so I jumped into the action that same day and it has been a daily routine ever since. The chats took a little more time though. Being shy in nature, it took some time to muster up the strength to get into the "live" action. Many nights I entered my name but just couldn't get myself to hit the Log-in button for fear that I might say something wrong and put the old foot-in-the-mouth! Well, that all changed when I discovered that I was missing out on all the fun and finally hitting that log-in button was the best thing I ever did.

For all you lurkers out there that are just reading these posts, join in on all the fun!! This is a great group of people and the knowledge and frienships discovered here are priceless. If a short, fat, gray-haired gravedigger can do it, anyone can!!!

Gail, don't worry about the spelling. After a few hundred posts I lernd tu spel reel gud.

[This message has been edited by Gravedigger (edited 03-13-2001).]
Posted By: rihetzler

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/14/01 12:16 AM

I have been collecting HL since 1996. I admit, I mostly "lurk". I have found JC to be a wonderful resource for HL since he started his own site. I was one of the people who sent him money when he found work on the site to be a job. I happily contributed and was rewarded with a HL hat when the HL people took over the web site for John. I haven't posted much because typically I don't have a lot to add, but when I do, I don't hesitate to post. Like when my wife and I discovered that we had a Mulkiteo. We shared this find with everyone on the web and started one of the exciting "hunts for treasure" that occur occasionally with these collectibles. I was also honored to find that amoung the classic threads featured in the forums was one that I started about investing in HL.
I have been an avid collector and have more HLs than I can display in my house. But though I have been here from the beginning, I am still listed as a newbie. This is starting to chaff. LOL. Because of my two contributions to the readers of these forums (Mulkiteo and Investing) I feel intitled to a special dispensation to WACKO status before I have actually earned it by posting 50 times. Sometimes quality should be recognized over quantity. Having said that, I really enjoy reading the forums and hope any other lurkers find their opportunities to join in.
Posted By: mombo

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/14/01 03:45 AM

I found this site in January 1999 when I had a "collection" of 2. Never lurked, just jumped right in!
Posted By: DaveVB

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/15/01 04:31 AM

Good topic! I'm another "newbie" who has just kind of "slud" into the collector's forums. I first got intrigued by lighthouses (real) as a Naval Officer Candidate School cadet at Newport Beach RI. where in Navaigastion and Piloting class, I learned about the difference between "flashing" and "occulting" - and that neither of them is necessarily a behavioral problem! Long interval (looong) until visiting Currituck Beach LH on an Outer Banks vacation. I spotted the HL model in the gift shop. In comparison to the others available, such great detail hooked me.
My collection is small - except for an occasional Society Exclusive, the items I "collect" are ones that have meaning for me. I found thiese forums when I started looking for "Ocracoke" to complete my Outer Banks set. Gulp! I found my way here trying to get more understanding of the various models and versions. I lurked for a while, because - frankly - I had seen a lot of chat-room and forum stuff on the net that was just plain trash. Once I saw the nature of the posts and the people in THIS community, I felt comfortable to join!
By the way - anybody know WHY Ocracoke is so scarce?
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/15/01 05:18 AM

Welcome DaveVB

Ocracoke is scarce because, by comparison, it wasn't as 'pretty' as the others in the Southern Belle series when they came out.

Tourists and locals snapped up many of the St. Augustine, St. Simons, Key West, etc. but Ocracoke is a bit more off the beaten path and so it was bought up mostly by individual collectors who wanted a complete collection.

Some collectors bought up extra St. Augustines, St. Simons, etc. because they had the feeling these were going to be scarce. But Ocracoke didn't seem to have the 'potential' since it was (is) kind of simple.

At least that's my take on Ocracoke, for what it's worth.
Posted By: SThompson

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/15/01 06:41 AM

Welcome to the Forums Dave. Hope to see you in a Chat sometime. All us grizzled old retired Chief Boatswains Mates won't hold that Officer Candidate School against you, "Yeh Right"? Enjoy the forums, we'll be there to pick you up if you fall down. LOL
Posted By: orv

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/15/01 08:52 PM

I CAME, I SAW, I RAN MY MOUTH. (Via my fingers)

Being the shy guy that I am, I think I posted the first time I cane to the forums.
Posted By: DaveVB

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/16/01 03:43 AM

SThompson - Ahoy, Boats! Thaniks for the welcome. I'm sure any kind of Chief, grizzled or not, Bo'sun or Quartermaster, could stand by to pick me out of the water! I came out of OCS rarin' to go to a FMS or DE - but ended up as a land-lubber computer programmer at NEL 'Diego. After 3.5 years I was a fairly senior LtJG (thanks to reserve duty) 1100 line officer who had never set foot on a quarter-deck except as a guest of my classmates! In a fit of embarrassment I opted out to pursue the computer career. That was in 1964, so I AM a little grizzled myself
I've beem looking for info on the chats - when and where?
Posted By: Lamplighter

Re: Making the Jump From Lurker - 03/29/01 07:32 AM

It was entirely a fluke that I found and started collecting. We had gone to a local shop to look at some other collections that the better half was acquiring. I noticed the display and was fascinated by the detail. I decided right then and there that I would collect the Pacific Coast lighthouses. Of course, I bought a piece that day: Thomas Point G.L.O.W. with Bill's signature. You might say that we started on a long trail to the west coast!!!

It took about a week to find the web page and the list of dealers. We spent many weekends tracking and buying retired at retail pieces. Then we found e-bay. There was a whole new world out there. Several pieces were acquired from that source. We also found the forum marketplace and found several more pieces for the rapidly expanding collection. A new Curio made its way into the living room and was filled very quickly. Then we found out about the Southern California Harbour Lights Collector's Club and joined as they were forming. The next step was autoships. We started in January of 1999 and have a collection of over 300 pieces not counting the buttons, pins, towels, potholders, plates and all the other stuff of lighthouse WACKOS. That's our story. We lurked for awile then got inspired to get involved when the Balitmore reunion was becoming a reality for us. We have found a great new family out there and we love it!!!

Rich & Marilyn
© 2024 Collector Forums