LighthouseKeepers.com

REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted?

Posted By: rscroope

REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/26/06 04:52 PM

I just did an inventory from the Lighthouse People's list and was disappointed eek to find out I've only

seen 235
climbed 55
lightships 10

Bob

Updated 3/25/2007 after Oregon Coast
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/26/06 05:06 PM

So have you seen all those you've climbed, Bob? I mean are they counted in the 175?

How come your profile says 167?

Everyone check their profile and update your lighthouse count. Who has the most?

My profile says 183, but I haven't added those seen in the Tidewater trip which were mostly new to me (except for Capes Henry). How many was that?

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/26/06 05:41 PM

Climbed are counted in seen.
My profile was before I rechecked.
I still think I have some more Michigan ones.
Posted By: HCS

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/26/06 05:58 PM

Where do we get the list from?
HCS
Posted By: rgurskey

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/26/06 06:18 PM

My list is on my home computer so I cannot say how many I have climbed, but I have seen 321 US lighthouses.
Posted By: Bill and Judy

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/26/06 06:32 PM

As of today we have seen 393 which includes 6 lightships and some international lighthouses. John's American Lighthouse Checklist and the Shanklin's book have been really great in helping keep track of them. I also do the stickers and number each as I put them in my journals.

After our trip to the Great Lakes in September the number will increase considerably. We'll wait until then to update the profile.

Judy

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/26/06 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HCS:
Where do we get the list from?
HCS
http://www.lighthousestickers.com/ALL_Lighthouses.htm
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/26/06 07:11 PM

132 Official Lighthouses, 3 Lightships and 5 Private Aids to Navigation (i.e. Hilton Head)Climbed is a bit tricky as some I was only allowed to climb part way up, so does that count?
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/26/06 07:25 PM

Eric, you need to add helped restore to your categories..
Posted By: sandy

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/26/06 09:37 PM

354 seen and photographed as of 6/24/06; Stan climbs them, I don't.

Sandy

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/27/06 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JChidester:
Quote:
Originally posted by HCS:
[b] Where do we get the list from?
HCS
http://www.lighthousestickers.com/ALL_Lighthouses.htm [/b]
Thanks John! smile
HCS
Posted By: grandmaR

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/27/06 03:15 AM

I'm way behind you people. I've seen 60 United States lighthouses including 5 at a great distance, and climbed 4 of the 60(generally I don't climb them because of knee problems). There are another eight that I'm not completely sure whether I have seen them or not. When I was a kid, we used to spend the summer in Woods Hole, and our landlord was a boat broker who used to take us out sailing sometimes. So I'm sure I've seen some of the lighthouses around there, but I didn't record it at the time (being only in grade school)

I've also seen at least 9 lighthouses outside the US. (Puerto Rico, Santo Domingo, Barbados, Bermuda, Bahamas and Aruba)
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/27/06 03:31 AM

The last time I counted I was over 300, I need to total it up again some day... Dave's trip this Fall around the Regional will add a couple more maybe I can total it up after that.. Re-visited trips to lighthouses would total over 1,000 visits I am sure...
Posted By: Jenifer Selwa

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/27/06 05:16 AM

I'm at 216 with John's current list. The Rhode Island/Connecticut trip pushed me over the 200 mark. Yay!
Posted By: Cana Fan

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/27/06 02:46 PM

198 as of the last year's reunion. Haven't been that active this year.

Climbed about 20 I'd guess without giving it a lot of thought.

Mike
Posted By: 5lights

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/27/06 03:08 PM

I've visited or seen 52 lighthouses-just doing real quick count from the list. Haven't gone on vacation yet...that will add some! Have climbed 6(I think-would have to double check my book). Have tried to climb Cana X 2. The second time I got part way up before I lost my nerve.
Posted By: DMancini

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/27/06 03:58 PM

I've seen 60, climbed 6. I've also seen 4 lightships, and been aboard 1.

I've seen lighthouses in seven states (CT, FL, ME, NH, NJ, NY, and RI). NY is the state with the most on my list (26), NH is the least (1).

Hopefully, I'll be able to add to this list in the fall.

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/27/06 04:01 PM

Somebody remind me after mid-August and I'll make up a printable checklist with checkboxes and room for dates visited of the USA lights.

Something you can print, fold in half and stick in your glove box or camera bag to log your visits. I sell a 24 page booklet like that for $6.

Somehow I'll ask for a small donation of a buck for the Bill Screwpile fund for each one you print.

And don't go printing 25 for your club members without paying up. And don't go printing them and selling them at lighthouse flea market events without paying up! mad

The honor police will be knocking on your email box door. (Need a graemlin for that)

Anybody have an idea on how I can actually do this? confused LOL
Posted By: Brindfan

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/27/06 04:07 PM

Seen over 100, climbed over 20. Of the 20+ I've climbed, seven of those I have climbed more than once.
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/28/06 12:25 AM

Climbed 29 and got to climb part way up 4 more.

Paul, help to restore....9 by writing checks of 25.00 or more and 2 actively helping and writing checks (Cape St. George and Jones Point) and lets not forget WACKO badges and WACKO pins.

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/28/06 01:46 AM

John,

You could go through the clubs and see if they would help sell them to members. The price is right and it is for a good cause. They would send you a check for the number they sold and you could then make the donation.

Judy
Posted By: Gebby

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/28/06 02:46 AM

I've taken pictures of 403 and climbing-----as many as I can.

Ken laugh
Posted By: rgurskey

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 07/31/06 06:02 PM

Based on John's list, which has a few problems, I have seen 322 lighthouses and climbed 62.
Posted By: lmyhre

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 08/01/06 12:06 AM

Have seen or visited 387 US lighthouses plus quite a few in other countries, particularly Canada. Have climbed 54 of them. I'm glad I have kept records of this kind of stuff, or else it would be quite a project to start from scratch.

Larry
Posted By: beachbum1616

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 08/01/06 02:32 AM

I have seen around 65 different lighthouses, three lightships and around 20 LSS's.

As far as a check list goes, I have just created a data base file where I enter the lighthouse name, first visit date, climbed or not climbed, and so on. It helps me keep track of these things when I acutally update it. That way, I can sort it by name of light, date visited, climbed or not climbed, or whatever.
Posted By: Weasel58

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 08/01/06 04:15 AM

Well with another multi-lighthouse trip just days away, my current total is 169 visited, flown over, or seen from a boat. I have climbed 59; I have climbed 15, 2 or more times, 4 lightships, and a bunch of NC LSS.

I printed this out a couple of years ago and have used it to track my forays.

www.LighthouseStickers.com/pdf/LighthouseList.pdf
Posted By: kikigl

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 08/01/06 09:41 PM

Thanks for the form, Erik. Good way to keep track.
Posted By: Lorie Roe

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 08/01/06 11:25 PM

I haven't kept track of how many I've climbed but I have seen 272 lighthouses, 5 lightships, and 11 lifesaving stations.

I first started viewing or climbing lighthouses in Aug. 1996 so this is my 10 yr. anniversary.

This total does not include any of the foreign lighthouses I have seen.
Posted By: Tammy Wolfe

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 08/02/06 02:18 AM

Wow! Some of you have seen a lot of lighthouses. I started photographing lighthouses in 1997. In June I added 7 Wisconsin lights and 5 Washington lights to my list.

119 - # of lighthouses photographed (includes foreign lights)
16 - I've climbed at least 16.

Next week I will be adding a few more lights and several more in October.
Posted By: Beaconfollower

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 08/02/06 03:37 AM

Seen 96
Climbed - 3 ( I have a fear of heights ) frown
Charlotte-Genesee NY & Chatham in MA
Thirty Mile Point in NY
Posted By: seagirt

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 08/02/06 03:58 AM

Seen 165. Climbed/Entered 29 (including touring lightships or only viewing the base, etc - NOT including only entering the keeper's house, I must have entered the actual lighthouse structure). Not many planned still for this year, but next year will definitely see a big jump. Boring days like today will become lighthousing days! laugh
Posted By: Cyndi

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 08/18/06 12:13 AM

OK. You are all way ahead of me. I can't count the ones in California. I saw a lot of them growing up, but could kick myself now for not really paying more attention to them when I lived there. I guess you don't realize how much you miss something until you don't have easy access to it anymore. This just gives me a reason to go back and ride PCH agian with a whole new interest. The states I have been to, is Southern Maine and Florida.

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 03/26/07 05:35 PM

updated 3/25/2007 vhappy

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 03/26/07 06:28 PM

467 lighthouses seen and photographed as of 2/18/07; 2 lightships; Stan climbs them, I don't.

Sandy

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 03/26/07 06:41 PM

You/ve been busy the past 8 months Sandy! 100 new lighthouses! groupwave

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 03/26/07 08:06 PM

Well after last year's UP of michigan, Wisconsin, and Minesota trip and my recent return to the upper coast of CA, I am now up to 217 seen, 79 climbed, and still sitting at 4 lightships.

Updated 08/07/07
Well After the last West coast trip I am up to 239 seen, 91 climbed and now 5 lightships

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 08/06/07 03:25 AM

seen 284
climbed 75
lightships 12

Bob

Updated 8/05/2007 after SoCal/Wash Coast
Posted By: Lighthouse Duo

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 08/06/07 08:28 AM

Oh dear, if only US lights are counted, I can't keep up with you all.

I have only seen 10, climbed 2 of those, entered another (couldn't climb New Point Loma)

But of ocurse if you count ALL the lights we have seen, the numbers are different smile

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 08/08/07 01:19 AM

USA lights

seen 216
climbed 40

Also have to add lights I have seen and climbed some of in England, Ireland, France, Italy, Finland, St. Lucia, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Martin, Grenada, St. Vincent, Martinique, Puerto Rico, Bahamas and beyond --- too many to count!

HCS
Posted By: Medicman

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 08/09/07 09:16 AM

Well, I checked the map and ran the numbers. I'm no where close to most of you wackos.... but I'm no where close to salt water either. I enjoy this hobby and wish I could see more of em.
I've seen 67 and climbed 21 of them. laugh
The most memorable was climbing Cape Lookout NC.
smile

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 02/27/10 09:47 PM

Been awhile. Time for an UPDATE!

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 02/28/10 09:39 PM

Is there a list somewhere? I looked in the top post and didn't find one.

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 02/28/10 11:06 PM

560 photographed as of 2/07/09. Stan climbs, I don't and I have no idea how many he's climbed.

Sandy
Posted By: Bob M

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 03/01/10 12:31 AM

Quote:
560 photographed as of 2/07/09. Stan climbs, I don't and I have no idea how many he's climbed.

Sandy
That's quite an accomplishment, Sandy! It sounds like you really have devoted some serious time to your passion.

smile Bob

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 03/01/10 01:05 AM

Bob,

And it's all Harbour Lights fault!!

That doesn't include the 90+ we saw and photographed on PEI and Nova Scotia last fall or the two we saw and photographed in Bermuda earlier this month. Stan's the photographer and I'm the locater (GPS) and researcher (historical data for each one in the photo albums). Provides something we can do together when I can pull him away from the golf course.

Sandy

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 03/01/10 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by grandmaR:
I'm way behind you people. I've seen 60 United States lighthouses including 5 at a great distance, and climbed 4 of the 60(generally I don't climb them because of knee problems).

I've also seen at least 9 lighthouses outside the US. (Puerto Rico, Santo Domingo, Barbados, Bermuda, Bahamas and Aruba)
I'm up to 76 United States lighthouses that I have seen and photographed and I've painted screens of 15 of the ones in the Chesapeake and a regular painting on canvas of Key West lighthouse - that one back in the late 60s when it was yellow. I've climbed 7 of them.

But I have added lots of lighthouse outside the US. I've seen and photographed (and in many cases visited) lighthouses in

+Antigua
+Aruba
+Bahamas
+Barbados
+Bermuda
+Dominica
+St Maartin
+Netherlands Antilles
+Panama
+Puerto Rico
+Turks & Caicos
+USVI

+Denmark
+Estonia
+Finland
+Ireland
+Italy
+Norway
+Portugal
+Russia
+Spain
+Sweden

+Canada
+Mexico
+Colombia
+Ecuador
+Peru

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 03/01/10 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Weasel58:
Well after last year's UP of michigan, Wisconsin, and Minesota trip and my recent return to the upper coast of CA, I am now up to 217 seen, 79 climbed, and still sitting at 4 lightships.

Updated 08/07/07
[b]Well After the last West coast trip I am up to 239 seen, 91 climbed and now 5 lightships
[/b]
Well in 2.5 years I've only added 5 more US Lights. However I saw about 100 lights in Ireland. Bob what was the final tally from that trip?
Also saw Hams Bluff on St. Croix, Buck Island on St. Thomas, and one in Santa Domingo.

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 03/01/10 07:26 AM

As of last week at Cedar Key, Bill and I have seen/visited 553. That includes lightships too. We haven't kept track of the lighthouses we climbed. We'll add 27 more after the two USLHS tours we're taking this spring.

It's been a great hobby.

Judy
Posted By: MelJB

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 03/01/10 07:11 PM

I believe 46 US lights and one lightship.

I've seen more than twice as many Canadian lights.

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 03/01/10 07:57 PM

Hi Everyone,
I revised the TOPIC to reflect the current interests and activities of our LH Forum.

Have Fun!

Author Topic: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted?

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 03/01/10 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Weasel58:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Weasel58:
[qb]Well in 2.5 years I've only added 5 more US Lights. However I saw about 100 lights in Ireland. Bob what was the final tally from that trip?
Also saw Hams Bluff on St. Croix, Buck Island on St. Thomas, and one in Santa Domingo.
I'm doing a final count on Ireland, Eric. It's currently on my to do list. It's very close to 100.
Posted By: lmyhre

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 03/02/10 04:54 AM

There is a new list on the US Lighthouse Society website that includes US and Canadian lights. You can enter your own dates of visit and keep a running total by state, province and combined total. I've entered all of mine and was surprised at my total of 602 (a visit to me is at least having seen it, even at a distance).

Larry
Posted By: seagirt

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 03/02/10 08:26 AM

I've seen 345.

287 in the United States.
7 in Canada.
1 in the Bahamas.
1 in Mexico (never actually set foot there though).
32 in England.
1 in Wales.
18 in the Isle of Man.

Of those, I've climbed 53, entered but not climbed 2.

By year, because I'm that OCD, my first visits:

1999: 7
2000: 17
2001: 8
2002: 2
2003: 44
2004: 72
2005: 3
2006: 13
2007: 10
2008: 48
2009: 121
2010: ZERO. frown

And before you all think I did this off the top of my head, I have a big Excel spreadsheet, which is being converted slowly into a database...
Posted By: lgthouselady

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 04/01/10 10:41 PM

I just found out Gary and I (Kathleen) get to join the USLHS Southern California Tour in Santa Barbara, CA on April 13th to see several lighthouses, the Channel Islands and views of the Santa Cruz Island coastline. I am very excited as I have never done this although we have visited most of the California lighthouses. I hope we get some good pictures.
Posted By: wvlights0

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 04/02/10 01:42 AM

Kathleen, I think you will get to see Point Conception from the water. Pictures please?

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 04/02/10 07:31 AM

Kathleen,

Stan and I will be on the full-length trip that starts April 10th and ends April 16th and hope to meet you and Gary. I'll be looking for your name tag, so be sure to wear it.

Sandy

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 04/02/10 08:55 AM

Hi Laura and Sandy: I am so excited. Hopefully the sun will be right for taking pictures. Hope we don't go by all the lighthouses in the morning. We will be taking more than one camera.
Sandy, we will sure be wearing our name tags and will be looking for you. We will probably be coming over Saturday so will try to see whatever else we can. Thanks.
Posted By: Pixie

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 04/04/10 07:21 PM

Enjoy seeing Pt. Conception and Anacapa. I will be interested to see photos taken from the water.
This area is one of my favs.

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 04/05/10 06:38 AM

Gary set up an Excel spreadsheet for me at least two years ago, but is it done? No. I don't think I will have the time before we go to Santa Barbara but I am going to try and write down a list of all the Harbour Lights lighthouses I have (alot), and try and download one of the previously suggested web sites with a list of lighthouses and find the ones I have seen and climbed.

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 04/05/10 03:57 PM

US seen 303
climbed 87
lightships 12

Ireland 100
Canada 10

Bob

Updated 3/24/2010 after Florida

Re: REVISED:How many US &Foreign Lighthouse have you seen visited climbed photo painted? - 04/06/10 02:17 AM

US seen 343
climbed 73
lightships 7

Foreign seen 116
climbed 5 in Ireland
© 2024 Collector Forums