LighthouseKeepers.com

Just Wondering

Posted By: Bob48

Just Wondering - 08/15/07 04:30 AM

Considering all the news on lead being used in the paint on Chinese made toys, has Harbour Lights checked to ensure that lead based paint has not been used on Chinese made HLs?
Posted By: Lighthouse Duo

Re: Just Wondering - 08/15/07 08:24 AM

I wondered too.
Then on the other hand, HLs are a little different. At least they will hopefully not tbe "played with", so the danger is that much less!
Posted By: Weasel58

Re: Just Wondering - 08/15/07 05:18 PM

I don't know about you, but I would be a little upset if I found a child "chewing" on one of my HLs.

Reminds me of one time I was told I couldn't go inside a lighthouse because there was lead paint on the walls. I told them "I'm not planning to lick the walls, so what's the problem"?
Posted By: Lighthouse Duo

Re: Just Wondering - 08/15/07 08:31 PM

Quote:
"I'm not planning to lick the walls, so what's the problem"
vhappy

But seriously ... IS there lead paint on the HLs? Anyone know?
Posted By: 5lights

Re: Just Wondering - 08/16/07 03:01 PM

It's a very good question! Although my grandchildren don't play with my HLs... they do touch them when we look for seahorses. confused
Posted By: Bob Ott

Re: Just Wondering - 08/16/07 03:45 PM

I asked some of the neighborhood kids to eat a couple of my duplicate lighthouses and no ill effects. laugh

JUST KIDDING.

bobo
Posted By: Bob48

Re: Just Wondering - 08/16/07 09:31 PM

It's weird waht the government gets excited about these days. As leadbased paint ages it can flack off (never happens to HLs?) and become airborne dust that we inhale. Same problem from the old leaded gasoline.

Those curly flourescent bulbs now all the rage have their transformers built into the base of the bulb unlike the tubes that are used in fixtures with transformers built in them. The bulb transformers contain mercury and thus cannot simply be thrown away but must be disposed of as toxic waste. NEVER break one in your house because it legally becomes a toxic waste site with an expensive clean up required.

The latest research links fire retardents required in carpet to hyperthyroidism in house cats. The chemical memics thyroid produce hormones. No link yet to human problems but some wonder if cats are the "canary in the cage."

Have a nice day. smile
Posted By: 5lights

Re: Just Wondering - 08/17/07 02:45 PM

Glad to hear that the neighbor kids are o.k.! wink
Although, if my grandsons decide to eat mine...they will suffer ill effects!!! biglaugh
Posted By: CAVR

Re: Just Wondering - 08/20/07 08:07 PM

This is a very VALID question that I was thinking about a few days ago on vacation when I was reading in the papers about the lead paint on toys and was wondering about HLs.

I would like to hear from the "home office" as to whether or not they are aware of the paint quality that the factory in China is using on HLs.

It is my OWN personal opinion, but I believe we Americans are importing way too much goods from China! frustrated
© 2024 Collector Forums