LighthouseKeepers.com

The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights

Posted By: Webmaster

The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 08/29/06 06:21 PM

I've uploaded a PDF of the front cover, 1st page, table of contents, and 6 page index for the new Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights.

Click here then choose the link to the Contents and Index PDF.

There is also a link on that page to a two-page information sheet about the book which is now in production and expected to arrive in October.

Available exclusively from Harbour Lights.

May I suggest you contact your dealer now and pre-order one? (If you haven't done that already.) We can always use the buzz and stir interest among dealers. Club leaders, please include this link on your website and pass it on to members.

I'm closing the previous 104 post thread in the Rumor Mill Forum. It's not a rumor anymore. Presses will be rolling soon.
Posted By: HCS

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 08/29/06 07:20 PM

Thanks John.
Sorry I do not have a local dealer. I was hoping to get one at the regional in October.
HCS
Posted By: beachcomber

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 08/30/06 05:23 AM

Lots of folks still have dealers, so, hopefully, everyone is getting in touch with theirs. Keep promoting the book - do you know collectors who have dropped out of the picture? Let them know about it or buy a copy for them. I think this book will really help to stir up interest in HL again; it has really motivated me to want to continue to add to the collection, despite the lack of room - I'm expanding to a third room (I live in a very small house!) As I read through the stories, I started a list of lights I want to get. Maybe some of you will want to do that, too. This book is so outstanding that I think everyone will be hooked - again!
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 09/06/06 02:41 PM

Is the Offical Collectors Guide still on target for October? If so, are we talking early or late October?

Looking forward to getting a copy. laugh
Posted By: regalhobo

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 09/07/06 12:18 AM

Like Hilari asked will it be at the regional? confused

smile cool

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 09/07/06 03:15 AM

I'm still hoping so. There's a slight delay. I was to get a proof today, now promised for Friday. The printer said they send out completed books as proofs, not the old galley sheets. I'm expecting a bound book, printed on two sides.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 09/07/06 05:25 AM

Can't wait to see the REAL thing! cool
Posted By: BeaconBob

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 09/27/06 04:09 AM

I just ordered mine. I hope to see it some time in October. I wish that they would consider making this in 3 ring notebook style so you can add pages to it as the new pieces get issued.The spiral backing might cause a problem to do that.

BB

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 09/27/06 09:08 PM

Bob, it is a terrific guide; I think everyone will like it. Hopefully, it will motivate a lot of collectors who have lost interest and reinvigorate those who have stayed with HL. It certainly has inspired me!

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 09/27/06 09:45 PM

Grace,

Do you have inside info and will they consider making it in 3 ring format?

BB
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 09/27/06 09:59 PM

No it will not be produced in a 3 ring format.. There will hopefully be supplements and or revisions in the future, details to be worked out at a later date.. Three ring format was considered as were other formats and this format was the clear winner for the first edition of the guide!

Grace does have inside info, since she did the wonderful and extremely tough job of proofing the Guide...

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 09/27/06 10:04 PM

That's okay...I just figured to put a word in to see if it had been considered yet.
I am still very psyched about this guide as I am just getting started with HL and need a resource to work from.

BB

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 09/28/06 04:17 AM

Unlike some product guides that take things in chronological order from first produced to last...

I've organized the products into groups such as lighthouses (usa and international), life saving stations, lightships, etc.

Within those groupings, the lights are arranged alphabetically. Generally one page per lighthouse. If HL has made several versions of one lighthouse (Cape Neddick, for example), all of the Cape Neddick versions appear on one page. Natually pages are numbered from 1 to 480.

So the idea of printing 'updates' in the future that could be inserted into the book wouldn't really work. Page numbering would be off and if HL decided to make a version of Poe Reef MI, as a limited edition, then that page would have to be redone to show the new and the old (thumbnail) version on one page.

I think when you have one in your hands, you'll appreciate the ease of using, reading and enjoying all that Harbour Lights has done in the past 15 years.

And you'll learn some new tidbits of the history of the founders and their early years.

For example, how Bill and Nancy moved from Florida to California.

It involved a 1952 Nash, a 1937 Cadillac Limousine, a 1950 MG TC, a motor home and what would later become Disneyland.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/03/06 10:27 PM

Any word yet as to whether it'll be at the regional? If its not going to be there I have to order mine.

smile cool
Posted By: HCS

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/03/06 10:52 PM

Tom,
Let me know where you are ordering from. I do not have a dealer near me.
Thanks
HCS

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/03/06 11:13 PM

Tom: Got to leave you hanging on that one - because I honestly don't know if the small pre-order will arrive in time or not.

The printer called me from China night before last about midnight to ask about an image on page 460; it was shifted too far to the right resulting in holes being punched through the edge of the image for the O-ring binding. (It was a reproduction of a two-page spread for the Guardians of the Night.) I don't know if he was telling me it was on the press or being punched for binding at that time. The connection wasn't very good.

The printer knows a quantity are supposed to ship in time to arrive for this weekend, but talk about cutting it close...

Harbour Lights hopes collectors will order The Official Collectors Guide from their local dealers, of course.

If some do arrive in time for this weekend, it may NOT be enough to assure every attendee will be able to purchase one (Of course, I'm hoping everyone wants one.)

The supply of Bookplates are done and in my suitcase so even if you purchase later, you'll be able to have your copy 'signed' Saturday and help fund the "Bill Younger Screwpile" at Thomas Point Lighthouse.

Just a couple more teasers:

Just when did Harbour Lights come up with the idea of making an open edition of a lighthouse once the limited edition was sold out?

And just which family member was it that thought the the GLOWs should be NUMBERED, for Heaven's Sake!

(That was the source of a family argument when I interviewed Bill, Nancy, Kim and Harry all together back in June; the 'guilty party' fessed up.)

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/03/06 11:15 PM

I will when I see you but I believe I told you that I'd be dealing with the store I got my Mac's from. I don't think I'm allowed to say who here but they treated me great for a first time buyer (at his store) so I'll be using Jim from now on. He's not near me either. More up north ya know. He also posts a lot.

smile cool
Posted By: Lighthouser

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/03/06 11:20 PM

So subtile, Tom! laugh

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/03/06 11:22 PM

Quote:
..And you'll learn some new tidbits of the history of the founders and their early years.

For example, how Bill and Nancy moved from Florida to California.

It involved a 1952 Nash, a 1937 Cadillac Limousine, a 1950 MG TC, a motor home and what would later become Disneyland.
I was expecting some speculations about this earlier tease.

Can you picture Nancy standing beside the road hitch-hiking and being picked up in these vehicles? And just where would Bill ride if they hitch-hiked in a 2 seat MG-TC? And who was driving the Motor Home? Mickey Mouse or Goofy?

Anyone want to make up their own story? LOL

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/04/06 12:14 AM

I guess everybody is waiting for their copy of the Guide - nobody is biting into John's "teasers". Where is all the curiosity?! :p
Posted By: kikigl

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/04/06 03:04 PM

Everybody"s too busy getting ready to go to Portland!
John, is the book going to be ready for sale in Maine?
Posted By: Lighthouse Duo

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/04/06 08:45 PM

The mind boggles ... where WOULD Bill sit when hitching a lift with a two-seater? eek
Posted By: rscroope

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/04/06 08:46 PM

I know the family ran a motel in Florida.
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/05/06 01:54 AM

Kathy at Harbour Lights said the guide won't be ready for dealers until after October 15th. Of course they could be ready for the Regional this weekend.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/05/06 07:40 PM

That would be nice!

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/16/06 08:43 PM

John, Paul et al,

I got a copy of the book in Portland and just got a chance to start reading/perusing it this weekend. I’m blown away by the layout and detail. Even better than I expected! Full color is outstanding. Congratulations! The price seems high but if the buyer can see what he gets…
wink

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/17/06 05:06 AM

The Guide is absolutely beautiful! John and Paul really outdid themselves. I cannot imagine that this guide will not be helpful to all collectors, old and new. There is so much to be learned from the vast amount of information provided, and, as Bob said, it is beautifully laid out with great attention to detail. Congrats, Guys!

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/22/06 07:54 PM

Quote:
May I suggest you contact your dealer now and pre-order one?
I wish ... I have no dealer ... here in GB :rolleyes:

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/23/06 07:25 PM

Bummer, Margaret...

But don't forget you have a complimentary one coming when the rest of them arrive in the USA. You were a big help in researching all the "official" websites for the lighthouses in the Collectors Guide.

I don't have my copy yet, I think the small quantity that came "JIT" for the Regional quickly sold out.

John

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/23/06 07:27 PM

For those of you who picked up an Official Collectors Guide, I am awaiting reviews - especially of the contributions by Tim, Daniel, Rod and Mark Sherman.

Don't give away the ending to Tim's update on the Bob Younger story, however.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/24/06 05:41 AM

I received my copy of the book today. Nicely shrink-wrapped and well protected, but....

I really loved the smell of the paper and inks! eek

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/24/06 09:52 AM

That is a smell I like too

OOOhhh ... now I am really looking forward to it!

I had a look at the index. (Imagine my surprise, when I saw my name there )
There are some very interesting contributions in there and I can't wait to get reading and find out just
Quote:
which family member was it that thought the the GLOWs should be NUMBERED
Posted By: Cyndi

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/24/06 08:32 PM

Maybe that means we will all be getting ours soon. I can't wait to get mine. The weathers getting cooler, no better time to curl up with a good book.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/24/06 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyndi:
Maybe that means we will all be getting ours soon. I can't wait to get mine. The weathers getting cooler, no better time to curl up with a good book.
Oops, sorry. I didn't mean to get everyone's hopes up. My copy was one of the last of the batch that was airlifted from China to Portland ME for the Regional.

The rest are on the waves heading our way. Tony Constantino gave me an expected arrival date at HL HQ of mid-November to the third week.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/24/06 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rscroope:
I know the family ran a motel in Florida.
Now that's one I didn't know about, Bob. Nancy worked as an Emergency Room nurse and Bill was selling cars -- including Nashes.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/29/06 11:02 PM

Thanks John and Paul for the wonderful book!
I got mine at the Maine Regional and I am enjoying it so much! I was telling my dealer about it (Bronze Lady at Madeira Beach)about it
and he said he is going to order some.
I'm going to take mine in this week so he can see it.
Posted By: Lighthouser

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/31/06 12:51 AM

WOW! - doesn't come close to describing this guide.

I luckily purchased mine at the Regional, and I don't mean to rub it in for those of you still waiting. I promise you, it's worth having, no matter how long the wait. Today, finally, I had a chance to sit down and really go through it having just given the book a cursory glance up to now as I played the "catch-up" game.

It is a priceless gem! I can only imagine the collective time and effort that went into this.

Congratulations to everyone who had a part in bringing us this wonderful guide!

Judy smile

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 10/31/06 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JChidester:
Now that's one I didn't know about, Bob.
When Bill was out at the 1st Long Island Challenge we got him a room in Sag Harbor. I told him that Kim was there the year before, and liked it very much. When we arrived, Bill said he thought Kim liked it because it reminded him of the motel the family ran in Florida.

'and that's the way I remember it' wink -Bob
Posted By: wolfdevil

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 11/06/06 03:04 PM

Bill Younger had his copy at the apperances in North Carolina and it looked really nice. My dealer took my name and said they would have them shortly.
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 11/07/06 07:04 PM

I started a post for book reviews.

Review of the Offical Harbour Lights Collectors Guide

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 11/23/06 06:02 PM

Got word Wednesday that the Official Guides are due to arrive in Maine Monday or Tuesday Nov 27-28.

Dealer orders will be shipped out shortly after arrival.

Thanks for your patience. Spread the word. A great Christmas gift for fellow collectors (And for yourself).

The Guide was featured on the cover of the latest Lighthouse Depot catalog.

More Details here: http://www.harbourlights.com/guide/index.htm
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 11/24/06 04:08 AM

I was beginning to think it would be next year to get my copy.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 11/30/06 06:16 PM

The wait is killing me....any day now hopefully!

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 11/30/06 09:51 PM

I talked with Don yesterday; he said they were unloading them then and were going to ship most of the dealer orders out that day and the balance not later than Monday.
Posted By: kory63

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/01/06 08:12 PM

Am I the first to receive mine!! laugh laugh
It just arrived from LH Depot and it is beautiful!! I look foward to perusing all of the information it so obviously contains.
Rick
Posted By: Bob M

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/01/06 10:37 PM

I guess mine will be shipped cross country to Oregon. That's where my dealer is located. Then they can ship it cross country to Massachusetts where I reside. Lots of mileage on all my HL products.

smile Bob smile

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/02/06 02:49 AM

I ordered mine from LH Depot months ago. It should be ariving soon. Can't wait!!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/02/06 03:15 AM

Looking forward to receiving this updated version since I wore-out Blue Book Buyers Guide. My wife purchased it for me for Christmas (It's a surprise). There'll always be a "little kid" in me at this time of the year.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/03/06 03:23 AM

I finally got mine today...haven't even unwrapped it yet....but I will tonight!
I'm sooooo excited!
Posted By: wolfdevil

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/05/06 05:19 AM

I got mine today from my local dealer. Nicely done.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/05/06 09:18 PM

Received mine today. Very well done.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/06/06 04:13 AM

Still waiting for mine.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/06/06 02:39 PM

I recieved mine last night. Strarted reading it right away. Thanks John and Paul and everyone else involved for such a wonderful book with so much information.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/06/06 09:16 PM

Still no word from my dealer on the guide. You folks are making me jealous!

smile Bob smile
Posted By: wheland

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/07/06 12:19 AM

I got mine hand delivered to my house by my dealer this afternoon.

I'll take a look at it later tonight.

Dennis
Posted By: Jim Awrey

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/07/06 06:26 AM

If you haven't received your copy yet, some dealers are having them signed by Bill Younger. So, it'll delay them a few days, but you'll have a little bonus when you do get them.

Jim
Posted By: MelJB

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/07/06 06:40 AM

My dealer phoned this evening to say my copy is here. Will pick up tomorrow!
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/07/06 06:57 AM

Collectors at the Regional were able to get a bookplate signed by Bill, John and myself which can be attached to the inside of the cover of the guide.. We sold them for $5 to raise money for the Thomas Point Lighthouse restoration project and to also get one of the screwpiles named in honor of Bill Younger..

In a couple of weeks they will be made available here in the forums.. I am in the process of finishing signing a bunch which I will ship to Grace who is going to handle purchases and shipping of the bookplates..

Since Bill never charges for his signature he signed them for free but it will cost $5 for John's and my signature with all of the funds going to Thomas Point..

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/07/06 04:09 PM

I'm in for one!
Posted By: sandy

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/07/06 05:13 PM

Waiting on mine.

Anybody heard from Grace lately? I'm not uptodate on reading postings, but she hasn't been on any of those that I have read.

Sandy
Posted By: MelJB

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/08/06 03:32 AM

I'd like to purchase a signed bookplate. Will watch for the post that they are available and how to purchase.

Sandy, funny you should mention about not seeing any posts from Grace for awhile, I was wondering the same and hope she is okay.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/08/06 03:43 AM

Grace wrote me shortly before the brick party Nov. 11th and she thought she would have to put her mom in a home and this may have taken some time and energy.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/08/06 04:34 PM

Thanks Eric. Rich (flacoastie) sent me an email advising of the same thing. Glad to hear she's okay.

Sandy
Posted By: Danny

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/09/06 12:04 AM

May I add my figurative standing ovation for the Collector's Guide? I may? Okay...it's great! And, more particularly, all the hard work DOESN'T SHOW, which is to say that the whole thing looks, reads and flows effortlessly---a real accomplishment. Profuse compliments, then.

Now, I have a puzzlement, and perhaps someone can point out to me what I can't seem to locate in the Guide. I know that it MUST be there, and that I just must be overlooking it. I don't, however, find it listed in the Brochure Checklist where it ought to occur.

I can hardly believe that I am the only critter to possess two copies of a gatefold brochure that was done in the first part of 1995? It preceded the brochure with the sunset and the lighthouse. The backgrounds of all the pages are photos done by Bruce Roberts, most of which occurred throughout his first editions of the regional lighthouse books. The central images on each page face are the interior of a lens and a tower staircase [I can't take time to unearth all the books to identify them now]. Flanking these images on each page are more specific lighthouse images: a silhouette of Big Sable [perhaps?] and Portland Head on the two outer faces; Boliver on another; Grosse Point and Jupiter Inlet on the inner spread; and Pigeon Point on the last. The brochure lists and shows all the products up through HL153 [Round Island], as well as HL 401 [first Hatteras GLOW], HL 501 [Pt. Fermin Society Piece], and HL 601 [Legacy Lighthouse]. Both HL 102 Hatteras and HL 102R Hatteras are shown and marked as retired, and the HL 401 Hatteras is introduced as the first in the new open editions. HL 111 [Coquille] is also shown, and marked as retired. Also shown as retired are Portland Head, Ponce de Leon, St. Simons, Hilton Head, St. Augustine, Barnegat, Southeast Block Island, West Quoddy Head, Burrow Island, and Admiralty Head. The copyright date is given as 1995, Younger & Associates. Inasmuch as I got my first copy of the brochure in Bandon, OR, during the summer of 1995 and my second copy in Wichita, KS, in September 1995, I have to assume that there was a full distribution of them. It was this brochure that figured in my being "captured" by Harbour Lights, which is why I have treasured my copies of it.

I remember that the brochure with the sunset and lighthouse, listing up through HL 162 [Brant Point], 401, 403, 404, and the Stamps Series listed as 410, 411, 412, 413, 414; and HL 501, 601, and 700, followed later in the year.

Now, please tell me where in the Guide this brochure is described, so I can set my mind to rest. I have to believe that it is there, and that I keep overlooking it!

Thanks!

Danny

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/09/06 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by WackoPaul:
...a bookplate signed by Bill, John and myself which can be attached to the inside of the cover of the guide..
In a couple of weeks they will be made available here in the forums..
Can someone let me know how I can also get a signed bookplate....I am interested in obtaining one!

Please e-mail me when they are available...
Thanks!

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/09/06 03:35 AM

I would also like to buy a signed bookplate when they become available.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/09/06 05:25 AM

Look for a sign-up, pay-up page to be set up by the end of next week.

We have them ready to ship. Thanks for your support of the Guide, of Bill's Screwpile and of the Bookplate project with 100% of sales going to the Screwpile.
Posted By: catzb1

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/16/06 01:45 PM

I just picked up my guide yesterday and it is very impressive! I was surprised that the paper is glossy..I was expected something on the order of Rutherfords old guide. It is one striking book! The photos are great. I just glanced thru every page last night and I intend to read the whole book page by page today. It was definitely worth waiting for. Great job John and Paul!

laugh Cathy laugh
Posted By: Lorie Roe

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/16/06 04:10 PM

John...are the guides available at all Harbour Lights dealers? I checked last week with the only dealer left in Utah and she said she had never heard of the guide book. eek

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/16/06 06:27 PM

Lorie - all dealers have been informed about the book, and urged to buy for resale, but no doubt some aren't carrying it.

BTW, HL has been doing a lot of house-cleaning on the dealer list at www.harbourlights.com

Several dealers could help you with online orders or phone orders, Lorie.
Posted By: Lorie Roe

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/16/06 07:39 PM

Thanks, John. I guess I'll just have to order my copy from an out of state dealer. I just thought I would pick one up local if I could find one.
Posted By: Jazzer

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/17/06 02:45 AM

John,

Have you set up the bookplate order page?
Posted By: Pharologst

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/20/06 09:41 PM

I must be blind: I can't find this new guide anywhere on the website of LIghthouse Depot. I've done multiple searches and come up dry. It sure isn't obvious.

Any help?? confused

Thanks, The Pharologst
Posted By: Dave H

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/20/06 10:06 PM

Here you go, George
Posted By: Pharologst

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/20/06 10:12 PM

a BIG THANKS !!

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/21/06 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jazzer:
John,

Have you set up the bookplate order page?
This weekend. My main PC is not yet connected to the Internet. Using another one temporarily.
Posted By: Jazzer

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/22/06 06:31 AM

John,

Thanks, and the book is great.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/22/06 06:43 AM

Hoping Santa's bringing me a copy for Christmas!! Must be coming via snail mail 'cause it's taking forever. . . .

Sandy
Posted By: 5lights

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/22/06 04:04 PM

Mine came last week but, I ordered it for my mother to give to me. Do you know how HARD it was for me not to open and peek?!!!!!!

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/22/06 04:14 PM

Still waitinggggggg!!!!!!!!!

smile Bob smile

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/22/06 04:27 PM

I'm really impressed!!!! What a book!!!! I'm sitting here at work reading through the first part of the book(before the lighthouse are featured) and really am impressed with it so far. It's slow at work and the company I work for has started their Christmas shutdown but there are a few diehards that will work the whole day so it's a perfect time to read the book.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/24/06 05:53 PM

Since this is a Sunday and Christmas Eve, I doubt that I will see my new Collector's Guide before Christmas. Not a bad thing but it would have been nice to see the fruit of Paul and John's great work like many of you.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:
Posted By: LightHog_dup1

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/24/06 07:32 PM

My Collectors Guide arrived this week, and all I can say is WOW laugh I'm hardly able to put it down.
Congratulations John, Paul, and all the others involved in putting this together. Great Job!!
I think I may have to purchase a second copy, so that I'll have a 'mint' version to save, along with this one which will certainly end up dog eared due to overuse.
Thanks to all for this outstanding effort.
Roger

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/24/06 09:21 PM

Thanks, Roger.

Harry Hine tells me his copy is already dog-earred from all the use he gets of it as he reviews past pieces in anticipation of future ones.

My apologies to the people who are still awaiting their complimentary copies. HL will be open between the holidays and I'll see if they can't be shipped next week with the bookplate and my note.
Posted By: Bob48

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/25/06 12:42 AM

I picked mine up the day before the blizzard hit so I had plenty to read between shovel sessions. 28" of snow, 50 mph wind gusts, 5' drifts, etc., a typical late fall day in CO.
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/25/06 01:21 AM

Quote:
My apologies to the people who are still awaiting their complimentary copies
frown confused
Why are we last?

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/25/06 01:28 AM

Daniel (and others)...

Getting personalized notes and signed bookplates along with names and addresses to HL and my physical move to a new location all were interferances, Daniel.

I wasn't able to commandeer the 40 copies that came just in time for the Regional.
Posted By: GreenBadger

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/25/06 02:47 AM

I noticed that there is a listing missing. I was looking for the Rockland Breakwater Christmas Ornament, and its not listed. Are there certain items not listed, or just a mistake.

Regardless, i absolutely love the book. It's a wonderful read for the collector.

Jeff
Posted By: keeperpam2

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/25/06 07:56 AM

Jeff,

As for information on the ornaments, you might want to read this thread.

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=56;t=000022#000000
Posted By: 5lights

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/26/06 03:21 PM

Finally got to actually open and start looking through the book. I LOVE it! Plan on starting to actually read it tonight, now that things hopefully will quiet down.
Thanks to all who were involved with the production of this book. SUPER FANTASTIC job!!!!!!

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/27/06 03:34 PM

John/Paul - the book is terrific. I read it from cover to cover last Friday and enjoyed everything about it, especially the history on Bill and Nancy. Daniels story on getting started was also excellent.

While glancing over the pictures I noticed on Cape Hatteras that the picture of Cape Hatteras Mold 1 was also used for the Cape Hatteras GLOW. Not a problem but put on Palm Pilot to correct for future editions.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/27/06 04:33 PM

OMG! Dont know HOW that one happened! page 88, second row of thumbnail images. My fault, not Paul's, of course.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 12/27/06 09:39 PM

Finally! My Collector's Guide has arrived along with my pair of Mackinaws! I'll probably take a quick peek through the CG later tonight.

Today has been busy with other errands: had a "Health Alert" system ("I've fallen and I can't get up!")put in my elderly aunt's home, brought Dad & Ma's Christmas Gift over to them and showed them how to operate it (Keurig Gourmet Coffee System, pretty cool!), and now I'm in the middle of making a Split Pea Soup. Throw in some play time for my boys and that has taken care of most of my free time today.

smile Bob smile
Posted By: Rrronne

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 01/18/07 10:48 PM

Did I miss it? Has the bookplate order page been set up yet?

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 01/23/07 12:47 AM

I ordered a copy from Lighthouse Depot in the fall (mainly due to free shipping) but have not received mine yet. Did anyone else order thur Lighthouse Depot?

P.S. I called after work today but they could only take orders after 5:00

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 01/23/07 01:39 AM

Receieved mine 2 weeks before Christmas. Enjoy reading the history. Worth the wait.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 01/23/07 01:42 AM

Still waiting for my local HL dealer to get it in. I may try Cape Annie's or Lighthouse Depot if it doesn't come in soon.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 01/23/07 07:49 AM

Hey, gang, I don't have my complimentary copy yet either! So we are all in the same boat! frown Well, not exactly, I did get the first proof - that is pretty special - of course, I was proofing! :p I told you there would be errors. There were a lot of alterations, changes, additions until the very last minute, so there was no way to keep up! eek I hope a lot of folks buy this fabulous guide so that HL will issue an updated one in the future. Be sure to notify JC of errors as you find them so they can be corrected. Hope there's not too many. :rolleyes:

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 01/23/07 10:05 AM

Quote:
I ordered a copy from Lighthouse Depot in the fall (mainly due to free shipping) but have not received mine yet. Did anyone else order thur Lighthouse Depot?
Well I am nearly glad to hear this ... sorry Eric. But I am glad to hear I am not the only one to have delivery problems from the lighthouse depot. And nobody wants to respond to my questions either. bash

As for the book, I am with Grace
Quote:
I don't have my complimentary copy yet either
But I am looking forward to it A LOT !!!
applaud

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 01/23/07 04:43 PM

I ordered mine from Lighthouse Depot when it was first announced. I did receive mine, I think it was just before Christmas.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 01/23/07 04:46 PM

Looking back though the posts. I recieved mine on 12/05.
Posted By: emma

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 01/23/07 05:11 PM

hey, I've ordered from LHD before and had to contact them about stuff too. great customer service department. Just call during the day. I think their new customer serv # is 800-519-5743.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 01/24/07 09:45 AM

Yes, I did call them. But the trouble is, they did not know what happened and needed to look into it. My trouble is, I am in the UK and calling the US is expensive, so I am reluctant to do that. Especially if I end up holding for a long time while someone invesigates only for them to come back still no wiser.
And "We'll be in touch" never happens! confused But I don't want to turn this into a LHD moaning session. So enough of that...

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 01/24/07 02:04 PM

Quote:
My trouble is, I am in the UK and calling the US is expensive, so I am reluctant to do that. Especially if I end up holding for a long time while someone invesigates only for them to come back still no wiser.
I have never dealt with the LHD because my auto ship HL Dealer is in Oregon. I'm sure the LHD frowns on overseas calls because of the expense to them on their end. One would think such inquiries could be answered via email. Do they do such a thing?

confused Bob confused

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 01/29/07 03:49 PM

I picked up my copy on Saturday. My local HL dealer emailed me on Friday that they just came in. vhappy

I started reading it as soon as I got home. Great book, very hard to put down once you start reading. laugh

John, Paul, & everyone involved did a super great job. groupwave

-----------------------------------------------
A couple things I wanted to mention.

*** In the "errors" section I don't see the GLOW Bolivar, NJ/TX error.

*** No Christmas edition checklist in the back.
Posted By: Todd Shorkey

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 01/29/07 04:21 PM

I just noticed the same thing last night as I was logging numbers in the checklists of my book. I had to double check a couple times, but I couldn't find a checklist for the Christmas pieces either.

Congratulations to everyone who contributed to the book though. It is a fantastic work of art!!!

-Todd

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 01/29/07 05:48 PM

Margret,

"800" numbers to US are toll calls from England?

Sandy

P.S. Waiting on two LLOMs to arrive here (hopefully this week) at which time I will ship the four from here to you. Will let you know when they leave here.

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 01/29/07 05:53 PM

Quote:
Do they do such a thing?
yes, LHD do use email - or at least it gives email adresses on their website. But I have emailed several times and received no answer as yet frustrated

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 02/15/07 03:37 PM

WOW

Thank you!

I just got my copy of the Collectors Guide !!!

That is some book! Well done John, Paul and all who made this happen! Awsome !!!! bow

(and thanks for spelling my name right )
Posted By: Bob Ott

Re: The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights - 02/15/07 08:19 PM

I purchased two copies -- one for myself and one for my brother and his wife. Well worth the price.

They received their copy last Friday. Good thing, because on Saturday they were leaving for Florida and then on to a cruise ship from Florida to take them through the Panama Canal. (Not one of my favorite destinations -- the Panama Canal, that is.)

They called me while on their way to Florida. My brother was driving and his wife was reading the Guide. So timing wise, everything worked out perfectly.

bobo
© 2024 Collector Forums