Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A memorial to lighthouse keepers needed #38063 04/28/99 03:57 AM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Our club just met at Avery Point, in Groton, CT, which has an existing memorial tower, dedicated to the memory of lighthouse keepers, which is in very bad shape. The U of CT which has several buildings at this location, along with the town of Groton, are interested in restoring the memorial, and need to raise a healthy amount of money. Lighthouse keepers were the backbone of the whole system. Now they are basically no more. The history of lighthouses will be with us, as we see the preserved lighthouse sites in the U.S. But surely we need to do something to honor the courage and dedication of both the men and women who served in these lonely towers.

What better way than to restore this memorial. We, as Harbour Lights Society Members, have been generous in our support of the restoration of Tybee. Why not do it again, this time for a memorial to the people who tended the lights. I ask each member to send a contribution, and each HL club to hold a special raffle for this specific project. Our club raised money through raffles on Sat. which has already been donated to the fund.

Now, if there was a Harbour Lights miniature of this unique, one-of-a-kind memorial, would you buy it to add to your overall collection? Please let me know? I am conducting this survey and will turn the results of your answers over to Kim Andrews at Harbour Lights. It would be wonderful if they were to make this limited and unusual piece; and maybe even donate some of the proceeds to the Avery Point Fund. You can maybe help bring this about, by also e-mailing to Harbour Lights and saying that you would love to have such a piece as a part of your collection.

For more information on Avery Point tower, and to get an address for contributing, please contact our club's Preservation Research Chairman, Ron Foster, at spooler@snet.net Hopefully Ron will be able to transmit some photos of this tower to John Chidester for putting on the HL webpage along with information and addresses.

Thank you for helping Keep the Flame burning in the name of all past and present keepers.

Barbara Hupp, chairperson
The New England Lighthouse Lovers

ladylightkeeper
Re: A memorial to lighthouse keepers needed #38064 04/28/99 07:21 PM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I would most definitely purchase this piece if HL were to produce it. I think it is a wonderful idea and I wish you luck in your endeavors. And I would very much like to see photos of the memorial. Good luck with your project!!
Kat
{=^+^=}

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: A memorial to lighthouse keepers needed #38065 04/29/99 09:45 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Here is a shot of the tower for those who have never seen it before. Taken last October.

Avery Point, Ct.  Oct. 1998

-Rod

Re: A memorial to lighthouse keepers needed #38066 04/29/99 03:13 PM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Rod: That was so nice of you to put your photo of the AVERY POINT MONUMENT TO LIGHTHOUSE KEEPERS on this post for all to see. The monument looks very striking here, and even carries out the architectural style of a real lighthouse; and certainly deserves to be fully restored. The plan is for the monument to be the focal point of a park, on this point of land at harbor's edge, within the University of CT's campus, which would be accessible to the public. Standing at the monument, you can look out over the harbor and see several lighthouses, including New London Ledge.

Please go to Rod's own webpage photo gallery to the CT lighthouse section, to read more about the history of Avery Point monument. http://home.neo.rr.com/rodsphotogallery/

I would like to continue receiving post replies from all lighthouse enthusiasts

to carry out my survey on your interest in having Harbour Lights create a miniature of this memorial monument to add to our collections. Contacting Ron Foster (see his address in first post) will enable you to get the proper address for the Fund if you wish to donate to the restoration.

[This message has been edited by ladylightkeeper (edited 04-29-99).]

ladylightkeeper
Re: A memorial to lighthouse keepers needed #38067 04/29/99 03:42 PM
Art Offline
I would buy one, especially if a portion of profits went to the preservation of the real one. It might even make a nice event piece -- it appears to be about the right size. If we can have Keepers and Friends (which are not lighthouses either,) why not a memorial to keepers?

To a degree I agree with Sean, about the lighthouses themselves being the best monuments. However, many people may not see lighthouses as such monuments for lack of an historical appreciation of them and their keepers. Besides, If we can afford to collect HLs, we can all dig a little deeper into our pockets for such a cause.

I think that a separate monument to the keepers is entirely appropriate, and since it already exists, we should help preserve it. It would be very sad to see it crumble. That would be testimony *against* what I think most of us really feel toward the service of the keepers.

Ron, why not post the address for donations here? Thanks.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: A memorial to lighthouse keepers needed #38068 04/29/99 10:41 PM
RFoster Offline
Good Idea Art. When the New England Lighthouse Lovers raised the money this past weekend, to help save the Avery Point Light / Keepers Memorial, I delivered the check to Dr. David Madacsi (Director of the Avery Point campus of UCONN ) in person on Monday. I don't know at this moment what the mailing address is but I will surely get it tomorrow and post it here.

Also, I realize how some people might feel about saving a "memorial" lighthouse. When I first learned of the rapid deterioration and the need for money to save this light I felt the same way. My first thoughts were "it was never a "real" lighthouse with keepers, etc. so why put in the effort?".

Since then I have learned more about the light (which was featured in several articles in Lighthouse Digest) and have spoken with some of the people who are interested in saving it.

It was built in the 1940's by the Coast Guard, who had taken over Avery Point as a station during World War II. The point was originally the home of Morton Plant who built a beautiful mansion on the site (it is known as the Branford House and it is still there, not far from the monument light).

This is a gorgeous piece of property from which no less than five lighthouses can be seen. They include New London Ledge, New London Harbor, Race Rock, Avery Point, and Little Gull Island.

The restoration and rededication of this memorial light tower would, in my opinion, be a wonderful gesture on behalf of all lighthouse keepers everywhere. What better place to have this memorial, in sight of real lighthouses, where the Coast Guard used to have a station, on the grounds of a state university (where generations to come could learn about lighthouses and their keepers), in this beautiful setting where all could visit and take a moment to look out onto the waters of Long Island Sound and remember the keepers.

Ron

[This message has been edited by RFoster (edited 04-30-99).]

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: A memorial to lighthouse keepers needed #38069 04/30/99 04:23 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
As a collector of Harbour Lights, if an Avery Point piece was sculpted, of course I would buy it.

I would like to commend the New England Club for their work towards preservation. If more people were this dedicated throught the country, just think of the number of endangered lighthouses that could be saved. Way to go New England Lighthouse Lovers!

As for me, with only so much money to go around, I limit my donations to the lighthouses near and dear to my heart, Michigan Lighthouses. There are so many lighthouses in need of funding for restoration, it isn't always possible to give to everyone.

Sometimes, you make and exception, as I did with Tybee. Since the HL Collector's Society was involved, I felt it my duty, being a member, to do my part. I will do the same for any other Society sponsored fund drive. Otherwise, preserving the lighthouses of my home state will get the priority.

The main thing to remember is that it doesn't matter who you donate to, rather that you get involved with the preservation of our beloved lighthouses.

Michigander to the core,

-Todd

Re: A memorial to lighthouse keepers needed #38070 04/30/99 06:04 PM
RFoster Offline
Here is the address for those of you who wish to make a donation to preserve Avery Point Lightouse Keepers Memorial Tower. Please make checks payable to:

"UCONN Foundation"

and send them to:

Tom Duguay, Associate Director
UCONN Avery Point
1084 Shennecossett Rd.
Groton, CT 06340

Enclose a note with your wishes for the donation to be used for the restoration of Avery Point Lighthouse Keepers Memorial.

Mention that you heard about this fund through the Harbour Lights website and the New England Lighthouse Lovers. All donations, no matter the size, are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

[This message has been edited by RFoster (edited 04-30-99).]

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: A memorial to lighthouse keepers needed #38071 05/02/99 12:10 AM
LamarB Offline
While I applaud the energy of the club, my money and my heart are with lighthouses.

------------------
Keepin' the flame

[This message has been edited by LamarB (edited 05-01-99).]

Re: A memorial to lighthouse keepers needed #38072 05/19/99 11:23 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
I think Avery Point would make a nice piece, the Coast Guard did use it as an active beacon for awhile. It would make a nice sculpture for a society gift or event piece. It is very unique tower, and I applaud the idea of trying to restore it, it was in sad shape when we visited it last year.

-RodW
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 05-19-99).]

Moderated by  WackoPaul 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,669 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users