Kevin Duffus, author of The Lost Lens has a new book coming out in September titled, Shipwrecks of the Outer Banks, An Illustrated Guide

Kevin says about his new book...
Quote:
Obviously, it's not solely about lighthouses this time, but there are plenty of stories and new research about lighthouses. In fact, I've determined nearly precisely where the remains of the 2nd Bodie Island Lighthouse are, including the tower's iron lantern room and lens pedestal for its former 3rd order lens. So it's not only about shipwrecks.

You'll find some hidden gems of new research about NC lighthouses and keepers which I sprinkled about the book
The Foreword for the book:
Quote:

"By the time I had wrapped up several years of shipwreck research for my book, "Graveyard of the Atlantic," more than half a century ago, I was able to verify the loss of some 600 vessels along the coast of North Carolina. It was a great disappointment, however, when I realized that I was able to match less than a dozen of those accounts with the remnants of wrecked vessels still visible at that time up and down the coast.
In "Shipwrecks of the Outer Banks—An Illustrated Guide," fellow historian Kevin Duffus has now made it possible for anyone interested in shipwrecks to pinpoint the location of many of the best known wrecks in Outer Banks history by using his detailed area maps, or for those more adapted to modern technology, by following the Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) coordinates he has listed for each of them. As a bonus, he has filled the book with fascinating pictures of the ships, shipwrecks, and wreck sites on Ocracoke Island, Hatteras Island, and the north banks."
David Stick
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
May 2006
Other reviews:
Quote:
"Kevin Duffus has produced a book which is the natural successor to "Graveyard of the Atlantic," David Stick’s classic written more than fifty years ago. His skill in producing documentaries, his passion for maritime history, and his technological expertise have combined to produce a work which, quite literally, begins to answer the question: Where are all the shipwrecks?"
Joseph Schwarzer
Executive Director
Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum
Hatteras, North Carolina
And:
Quote:
"Kevin Duffus is a historian who is a fine storyteller and a storyteller who is a fine historian. And he is a man who has a passion for the history and heritage of the Outer Banks and the seafaring islanders who call these barrier islands home. In “Shipwrecks of the Outer Banks—An Illustrated Guide” he shares his love of history and its many ironies and his passion for the islands with all of us who want to know more about the place in which we live or love to visit."
Irene Nolan
Editor, The Island Breeze
Hatteras, North Carolina
Kevin Duffus will have his "world release" of this fascinating new book at Chicamacomico LSS in Rodanthe, NC on Sept. 9.

One can not get involved with N.C. lighthouses without literally stumbling on shipwrecks, and the more you see and hear about, it seems the more you want to know.
Looking forward to this new book, Kevin! smile

Judy