Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tybee Revisited #31093 09/07/01 12:10 AM
N
Nana Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Tybee has always been one of my favorite lights, but for whatever reason, I had never climbed it. On our return home Labor Day, we took a eastward swing and went out to Tybee Island.

The day was gorgeous. White puffy clouds set off a great view of the lighthouse. The site was busy with tourist who were enjoying the great job that Cullen Chambers and his restoration efforts have produced. My husband and I were blessed to spot Cullen walking across the lawn and after we exchanged greetings, he asked if we would like to see the restoration work that is going on in the keeper's house....we accepted quickly and were taken back to another time.

So much research has been done to make sure that all the work is correct. After viewing the house, he showed us some photos that showed up the day before they were to sign for the company who was slated to do some of the work. Would you believe that one of the keeper's daughters had sent him, out of the blue, 4-5 8x10s of her wedding. All the photos were taken inside the keepers house. Many things were revealed to Cullen using the photos. They of course had to rethink some of the restoration. Much time and money was saved, because the photos just showed up. We both call those "Godinscidences".

So, I practiced on those 148 steps and my legs did not buckle, I didn't fall and the next day I wasn't in pain...so Auggie and Ponce should be a breeze...Right?

Derith

[This message has been edited by Nana (edited 09-06-2001).]

Re: Tybee Revisited #31094 09/07/01 12:49 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
So glad you had a pretty day to visit Tybee. If we could only get them to bury that cable that stretches across the front of the station, photos would be so much nicer. Glad the tower presented no problem. By the time you get to the bus trips, you will be sprinting up the stairs!

Dave

Re: Tybee Revisited #31095 09/07/01 02:55 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Derith sounds like your having a great time...Tybee is one of my favorites too however I agree with Dave...sure would be nice if they took down those cables that run across the front...it's really hard to get a good picture. Take care and enjoy the rest of your trip.

Ruthie

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Tybee Revisited #31096 09/07/01 05:48 AM
Torchbearer Offline
Very nice post Derith. I'm so happy you had a beautiful day at Tybee, and had the opportunity to talk with Cullen Chambers. Wow, talk about perfect timing with those photos! I look forward to hearing about your climb at Auggie and Ponce.

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: Tybee Revisited #31097 09/07/01 10:28 AM
Shirin Offline
If you made it up Tybee then you should have no problem in Florida!
Tybee was my first tall tower climb and my 2nd lighthouse I had ever visited. I made my Mom drive me the 2+ hours out to Savannah from Augusta while I was visiting her after I finished college. It is an absolutely beautiful area. Next time I'm down south to see my parents I plan to go back.
Glad to hear you had a nice trip.

shirin

Shirin

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,573 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users