Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Currituck - You won't believe this one! #35152 08/02/03 12:58 PM
PFC Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Just when you think it's time to celebrate the decision from Asst. Secretary Craig Manson, who awarded the ownership of the Currituck Beach Lighthouse to the Outer Banks Conservationists, along comes Rep. Walter Jones (who else?) to try to hold up the transfer once again. Check out this story, you won't believe your eyes...........

Best,
Paul Conlin
Acting Secretary,
American Lighthouse Foundation

confused frown confused frown mad

http://www.obsentinel.com/articles/2003/08/01/top_stories/deed.txt

Help Save Our Lighthouses!

Become a part of the
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

www.lighthousefoundation.org
Re: Currituck - You won't believe this one! #35153 08/02/03 04:27 PM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
U.S. Rep. Walter B. Jones <-------- who elected this idiot????!!! mad And, how do we get him out of office?

Jim
Re: Currituck - You won't believe this one! #35154 08/02/03 06:20 PM
Larry Offline
I prefer to call him "Congressman", because I'm not sure he's really "representing" the people who elected him.

I've never made a political donation before, much less to a Democrat, but things may change.....

Re: Currituck - You won't believe this one! #35155 08/03/03 01:17 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
This flaming jack*** is a real jewel. It would be nice to know if someone could hold him in contempt of Congress for blatant mis-use of public funds and abuse of office for all that he has done. Of course, the County Idiots, I mean commissioners, in Currituck County are right up there with him. I personally favor hanging the entire lot upside down over the railings around the Currituck Light catwalk, leaving them there until they get some blood back into their oxygen starved heads (notice I did not use the term "brains", as there appear to be none in this group.)

I would think that the people of Currituck County would eventually begin to be embarrassed by the public stupidty of the supposed public servants. Banishment from the county would be a good start. . . .

Now we also seem to have Jones getting the California congressman Pombo involved in this public travesty of justice. From Pombo's website: "He represents the Eleventh District of California, which includes San Joaquin County, and portions of Alameda County, Contra Costa County and Santa Clara County."

Also interesting is the following statement: Mr. Pombo has been rewarded by several organizations for his activism in reducing government regulations, taxation and spending, including the United States Business and Industrial Council, the National Taxpayers Union, and the Chamber of Commerce. " Doesn't this seem to be contrary to his position of helping Jones muck up the works and fritter away government funds on a self serving mission?

Sad, sad state of affairs. And these bozos probably wonder why politicians are so poorly thought of . . . .

Dave

Re: Currituck - You won't believe this one! #35156 08/03/03 12:15 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Next move? Pay $6 OBC to tour Currituck Lighthouse and $600 to Currituck County to park and use the bathrooms?

Walter Jones has the bathroom concession. He gets to keep all the crap -- his payoff from the county for being their mongrel.

http://www.obsentinel.com/articles/2003/08/01/top_stories/deed.txt

Re: Currituck - You won't believe this one! #35157 08/03/03 02:32 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
This is a message from Melody who is the financial Officer at OBC, Inc...

Quote:
The Coast Guard preformed a review of our lease with them and not an investigation and they will be quick to make that correction as they did with me. I called it an audit and they corrected that to say review. They did this at Jones and Pombo's urging. Jones prefers to call it a government investigation making it sound more sinister. The Coast Guard has never reviewed another lease of theirs that I know of. We of course are leading the way. The report is not going to be finished until the end of August maybe. We were not given a time frame. The Coast Guard has always commended us on a job well done and have also noted in one of their yearly inspections that this is a time that a relationship between a nonprofit and the government seems to be working quite well. Our relationship with the Coast Guard goes back to 1990 when we signed our 20 year lease and it has worked very well. Currituck went from being a lighthhouse in the worst condition in the 5th district to being a lighthouse in the best shape on the East Coast. The Coast Guard also made that notation in one of their yearly inspections. After this in over I wonder what Jones has as a backup plan with Pombo to attempt another stall on the transfer. This is quite the saga!
OBC,Inc. reports that the (quite nice by the way) restroom complex was a joint venture, and that $20,000 came from OBC, Inc.! (Could we even see a dividing line drawn by Jones inside the bathroom? I hope some of the $20,000 was spent to provide the men's stalls mad

If you'd like to send a note of support to the OBC, you can at obcinc@earthlink.net

Judy

Judy
Re: Currituck - You won't believe this one! #35158 08/03/03 07:22 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Gee, maybe we could take up a collection to have a portable crapper delivered to Jones' office to give him a hint of what the majority of people think of him and his sleeze. . . . . The really big question would be whether we should rent one that has been "pre-filled". . . . .

One thing that never seems to surface is what the average person in Currituck County thinks of this mess. Do they approve of the methods employed by their commissioners and congressman? Would they consider a recall? Or, maybe we could offer them an all expense paid hunting trip with Bob Knight.

Re: Currituck - You won't believe this one! #35159 08/04/03 01:15 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Sounds to me like Jones is simply the hand maiden of the Currituck County commissioners.

Send 'em all to festive Monkey Island for a couple months.

T

Re: Currituck - You won't believe this one! #35160 08/04/03 01:29 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by JTimothyA:
Send 'em all to festive Monkey Island for a couple months.
Or, as I recall reading in one of the various articles, what is left of Monkey Island after Currituck County's last experience with land gifts from the feds.

Dave

Re: Currituck - You won't believe this one! #35161 08/04/03 04:46 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
You got that right, Dave...

...Sentencing them to Monkey Island would be like how Execution Rocks was supposedly used back in the pre-Revolutionary War days.

Hmmm. Sounds like a plan to me. smile

Re: Currituck - You won't believe this one! #35162 08/06/03 01:00 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
A guest editorial appears today in the Sentinel from our good friend Cullen Chambers...

http://www.obsentinel.com/articles/2003/08/06/letters-editorials/editorial.txt

Great letter, Cullen!

Judy smile

Judy
Re: Currituck - You won't believe this one! #35163 08/06/03 02:43 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I find it amzing that it even needs to be repeated again.

The process was completely fair to both sides- in fact it was more than fair to one side. It's now time to accept the decision that has been confirmed by more than one reviwer.

Let the games stop and get on with things that need this much attention.

Of course based on his past actions this will probably not happen.

Dennis

Re: Currituck - You won't believe this one! #35164 08/06/03 05:33 PM
eastpoint Offline
Does anyone out there have Rep Jones gov't e-mail address. I think we should get that and have everyone who supports the OBC send him an e-mail expressing our opinion of his underhanded attempts to get the Lighthouse turned over to his fellow political hacks. mad

Hank

Re: Currituck - You won't believe this one! #35165 08/06/03 06:06 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Hank,

Here's one I found-

congjones@mail.house.gov

Here's his wesite-

jones.house.gov

Sending him a message will probably be an excercise in futility- especially if you are not in his district- as he seems to not be able to discern reality at this time.

Dennis

Re: Currituck - You won't believe this one! #35166 08/06/03 09:20 PM
pierhead Offline
I actually learned something today on Jones' website. In the Algonquian Indian language, Currituck means "land of the wild goose." It all seems clear now. It's only fitting that Jones is leading the chase. Writing to the esteemed congressman is definitely an act of futility. I, and I'm sure many of the rest of you, received a short reply last year from the flaming jackass (if i may borrow from Dave) basically telling me to mind my own business and take a flying leap. With any luck though, the "here today and gone tomorrow organization" he referred to will be none other than Jones and his croneys on their way out of office. I believe Monkey Island would be a little too hospitable for our "friends". The Island of Dr Moreau, or The Island (Michael Caine film, 1980) would be much more suitable. mad

Jared

Re: Currituck - You won't believe this one! #35167 08/06/03 10:14 PM
PFC Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
The following is a letter sent by Tim Harrison, President of the American Lighthouse Foundation to the Outer Banks Sentinel:

Sandy Semans' story about Currituck Lighthouse was forwarded to me by about 80 different people. So, as you can see, the interest in what happens at Currituck is very much on the minds of many people in the "lighthouse community."

I personally am shocked and dismayed at the childish attitude of Congressman Walter Jones and Currituck County officials. The Outer Banks Conservationists are the only legitimate stewards of the Currituck Beach Lighthouse, something that is supported by every lighthouse and preservation group in the nation!!! In all these years, and during all this controversy there was never any question of how the OBC has handled the lighthouse, yet Congressman Jones has to go to a colleague from California to put political pressure on the United States Coast Guard to conduct an investigation after the ownership process under NHLPA has been approved, appealed and approved again.

Enough is enough!!

The United States Coast Guard needs to spend its time and resources on other matters such as law enforcement, environmental concerns, search and rescue and Homeland Security, not investigating, after the fact, how the OBC has taken care of Currituck Lighthouse. For a United States congressman to request such an investigation now at this late stage of the game is reckless conduct unbecoming a member of Congress that simply proves that he and his fellow congressman from California have no idea what their real priorities should be in these turbulent times.

Congressman Jones, who has more than once tried to circumvent the law, should be asked by his constituents to resign. If he will not, he should be investigated by the House Ethics Committee on how he has handled himself during this entire Currituck Lighthouse controversy.

The county officials who have also wasted local taxpayer money fighting the OBC and are now threatening zoning problems against OBC should be ashamed of themselves. They should work with the volunteers who saved this historic property for the good of the entire local community. These county officials should get up at their next meeting and in front of the whole world apologize for how their childish behavior has wasted time, energy and money, and bury the hatchet and get on with the business of managing the county, not fighting with the dedicated preservationists who have saved, restored, maintained and opened to the public one of the great treasures of our nation's maritime history.

-Tim Harrison, President American Lighthouse Foundation, Wells, Maine

Help Save Our Lighthouses!

Become a part of the
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

www.lighthousefoundation.org
Re: Currituck - You won't believe this one! #35168 08/07/03 06:04 PM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I agree with Pierhead. E-mailing the jerk is futile .... he blew me off too!! Let's just hope and pray that the good guys will win out in the end!!

Dan

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,544 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users