Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Lighthouse Adventures" by Wes Oleszewski #30953 10/13/00 11:55 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The name Wes Oleszewski will be a familiar one to those who love to read about the nautical history of the Great Lakes.

"Lighthouse Adventures" is a result of the research the author did while writing a guide to the Great Lakes lighthouses. As with all his books, this one is published by Avery Press.

I found it to be a real page-turner. The book transports the reader back to the days when lighthouse keepers had to transport themselves to their stations - often by rowing through ice that is just breaking up after a long winter.

You'll find true tales about Lighthouse Keepers and the US Lifesaving Service as well as how those in these services placed their own lives at risk in order to save the lives of others.

One story debunks the haunting of a lighthouse while another recounts the author's own experience with a lighthouse ghost.

Another story "The Hardware To Prove It" tells the tale of one of only a handful of members of the USLSS to receive two Gold Medals -- and then went on to save even more lives after transferring to the USLHS.

Highly recommended! Find it at Amazon.com

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 10-13-2000).]

Re: "Lighthouse Adventures" by Wes Oleszewski #30954 10/13/00 10:22 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Let me echo John's recommendation. I have read all of Wes' books and enjoyed then all tremendously. While a number of them deal primarily with shipwrecks on the Great Lakes, they are definately real page turners.

I have not met Wes yet, but he is from Saginaw Michigan, just a few miles from me. He is a member of the Saginaw River Marine Historical Society, which is the group I belong to and that is restoring the Saginaw River Rear Range Light.

-Todd

Re: "Lighthouse Adventures" by Wes Oleszewski #30955 10/15/00 08:33 PM
Brent Offline
Thanks for the information.

From a native of Saginaw.

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users