Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
USCG Boats or Lightships? #189101 01/13/08 10:36 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
This is a very simple one question poll to determine individual preferences on new Anchor Bay releases.

We all know Harbour Lights is offering the LS Overfalls in 2008. It was a good choice by them to keep the AB line going. I'm sure there will be more AB releases in the future. If so, what would you prefer?

Re: USCG Boats or Lightships? #189102 01/13/08 11:59 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob, I always thought that one of those steam powered lighthouse tenders would be a good choice, but I guess HL didn't...

Re: USCG Boats or Lightships? #189103 01/14/08 09:58 PM
M
MICHMARINESURVEYOR Offline
M
Quote:
Originally posted by mombo:
Bob, I always thought that one of those steam powered lighthouse tenders would be a good choice, but I guess HL didn't...
Thats a very good idea!! I too would like to see a realese of a steam powered lighthouse tender.

Re: USCG Boats or Lightships? #189104 01/17/08 01:48 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Interesting the number of votes Lightships are getting, and that the number of no preference voters have passed the USCG voters.

I wonder if it had been AB Lightships the last couple years, that the USCG ships would then get more votes?

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: USCG Boats or Lightships? #189105 01/17/08 04:27 PM
kory63 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm one of the No Preference voters!
I guess it's because I do not have the sailing or sea-going(Navy or Coast Guard) experience many CF members seem to have.
I have 4 AB's; Chesapeake I won in a raffle, the Eagle and MacKinaw(matched set) I've visited, liked and bought.
There is also the "space" issue!
I will pay attention to the AB's and make special note of the comments made here when a new one is issued and make my my decision based on do I like it and will I want it for its uniqueness not will it become "valuable"on the secondary market!!
As always the CF's is an important source of information to help in my decision!
Rick

Re: USCG Boats or Lightships? #189106 01/17/08 05:30 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
You've seen two lightships, you've seen them all -- at least American ones. (Huron is black, the rest are red.)

But I do have an affinity for lightships. I'd like to see a LH Tender per Mombo -- and perhaps one of the interesting ones from Europe. But we know that non-US HLs don't seem to sell well.

Saw the "Modern Marvels" program on Icebreakers on the History Channel a few days ago. Good one. They showed some ice-breaking tugs (I believe these were USCG vessels). That might make a nice 'variation' on the theme.

Here\'s a link to a photo of one

Only other Naval Vessel I'd be interested in seeing is the USS Arizona.

Re: USCG Boats or Lightships? #189107 01/17/08 07:31 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
I would still like to see a Higgins Boat in honor of Douglas Munro, Samuel Roberts and Ray Evans. 3 Coast Guard Hero's from Guadalcanal. Munro was posthumously decorated with the Medal of Honor and Roberts posthumously awarded the Navy Cross. I'm not looking for a battle scene! Perhaps the boat manned prior to battle plying through the water?

History of Douglas Munro

Higgins Boat Memorial Project

Sean

Re: USCG Boats or Lightships? #189108 01/19/08 01:17 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would like to see the Diamond Shoal, Barnegat, Liberty, & Frying Pan Lightships done as AB replicas. Even though most lightships are red & white, their surrounds should be included to show how they served, or how they currently exist.

As for USCG ships, there are many I like, mostly the older ones. Rich (Flacoastie) has a good list. Whatever he suggests, I would agree with.

I just would like to see a little of both types replicated as Anchor Bays. cool

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: USCG Boats or Lightships? #189109 01/19/08 06:00 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Lighthouse Loon:
...Even though most lightships are red & white, their surrounds should be included to show how they served, or how they currently exist...
Problem here is that all but one of the lightships have been pictured 'on station' in the water. Only the Columbia LS (old one) was shown beached recalling an incident in its history.

I doubt they would do the Liberty in it's present location at a marina or the Frying Pan docked at the South Seaport Museum.

If they were doing that, the Overfalls would be picture pulled up in the cut it now rests in with grass on either side.

It's a good idea, just doesn't keep with that HL has done in the past.

Re: USCG Boats or Lightships? #189110 01/19/08 06:34 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Webmaster:
I doubt they would do the Liberty in it's present location at a marina or the Frying Pan docked at the South Seaport Museum.
Nitpicking here...Frying Pan is actually at Pier 63, on the West Side. The Ambrose is the one at the SSS.

Frying Pan seems to not be in the most picturesque surroundings. Saw it from a cab last weekend zipping downtown. It's kind of rafted with another ship, and right against the pier. Another red hull.

Re: USCG Boats or Lightships? #189111 01/19/08 06:35 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great feedback Saint John !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Webmaster:
[QB] It's a good idea, just doesn't keep with that HL has done in the past.
Who says HL won't shake things up a bit. Like having a guest artist or limited LLOM's?

Stan M

Moderated by  Bob M 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 832 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users