Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vancouver Lights #179107 07/18/05 12:02 AM
Tammy Wolfe Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
This is a continuation from Alaska Lighthouses...

We passed by some British Columbia lighthouses during our cruise.

Pine Island Lighthouse
http://home.earthlink.net/~twolfephotos2/pages/BC_2005-06-10_2944%20.htm

Scarlett Point Lighthouse
http://home.earthlink.net/~twolfephotos2/pages/BC_2005-06-10_2964.htm

Cape Mudge Lighthouse on Quadra Island We passed close to Cape Mudge and Eldred Rock Lighthouse. Unfortunately, like Eldred Rock, we passed this lighthouse long after sunset. I tried using ISO 1600 for the first time.
http://home.earthlink.net/~twolfephotos2/pages/BC_2005-06-10_2992.htm

Our cruise ended on June 11 when we arrived in Vancouver. We had such a wonderful cruise. But I woke up on June 11 feeling a bit under the weather. Vancouver was such a big city. Our friends were leaving on June 13, and I was initially disappointed that we weren't going home until June 14. I'm not a big city person, and it was even more difficult arriving in Vancouver after coming from Alaska. There were people everywhere!

We used Priceline for the first time to book the Hyatt for $75/night. It was quite a savings, and we had a very nice room. They allowed us to check in at noon.

After we checked in, we headed to Stanley Park. This was a nice escape from the big city. It was a bit of a hike going to and from Prospect Point Lighthouse because I wasn't feeling a 100%. But I still enjoyed the hike.

We also visited Brockton Point Lighthouse.

http://home.earthlink.net/~twolfephotos2/pages/BC_2005-06-11_3054.htm

The next day I woke up feeling great. We drove to West Vancouver to Point Atkinson Lighthouse Park. This is an even better escape from the city. It's a beautiful park with an old growth forest. And it was free! We spent the entire morning at the lighthouse. Even though our friends aren't into lighthouses, they said that they really enjoyed visiting Point Atkinson. The following day we headed back to Point Atkinson Lighthouse Park after we dropped our friends off at the airport. It was such a beautiful day that I didn't regret that we were spending another day in Vancouver. The majority of time I photograph lighthouses the sky is either almost all blue or it's overcast. There were some cool cloud formations behind the lighthouse.

If you're interested in seeing some glacier, wildlife and other photos, here's the link to my gallery where I uploaded some more photos that I saved from our trip.

http://home.earthlink.net/~twolfephotos2/

Tammy

Re: Vancouver Lights #179108 07/18/05 12:32 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Tammy,

Some more great photos- especially that last one.

We originally were going to take in Vancouver as well as sEattle on our trip but my daughter changed that plan when she decided to meet us in Hawaii instead of Seattle.

It was a tough choice- but we still ahd agood time. laugh

Dennis

Re: Vancouver Lights #179109 07/18/05 09:45 PM
kikigl Offline
Your pictures are great Tammy!
What kind of camera did you use?

Kay
Re: Vancouver Lights #179110 07/18/05 10:21 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Tammy,

That last picture has to be one of the greatest pictures of a lighthouse I've ever seen.

Definitely a winner if entered in a contest.

Thanks for sharing.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Vancouver Lights #179111 07/18/05 11:30 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Tammy,

Had you guys been to Alaska before 'coz it seems that you had your whereabouts planned out rather almost compulsively. Of course I mean that in a positive way, it's just when we went (on Princess also), it was Mid to late September, but we were never in the right place (well almost never) to take a picture of a lighthouse, and the rest. Of course you had a nicer camera, and seem to have splurged a little more on the excursions than we were able to, but just seemed to be at the right place at the right time A LOT! laugh wink

Enjoyed the pictures and seeing some of the same sites again!! Thanks.

Steve

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: Vancouver Lights #179112 07/19/05 08:43 AM
Grover Offline
Tammy,

Thanks for the slide show ...

As always your work is great, but in addition, tell me who doesn't like a row of swimming ducks?

Barry

"Wisdom and Strength are NOT opposing values"
Re: Vancouver Lights #179113 07/19/05 02:23 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Tammy.

Your photo of the Point Atkinson lighthouse is absolutely stunning. I love it. Wish I had the ability to generate such facinating pictures.

bobo

Re: Vancouver Lights #179114 07/19/05 09:21 PM
Tammy Wolfe Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks all for the comments. I used my Canon 20D to take these photos.

Steve, this was our first trip to Alaska. I was checking a cruise forum on Alaska on a regular basis, and several people who cruise Alaska on a regular basis said that they've never passed a lighthouse in Alaska. If your shipped went to Skagway, you would have had to pass Eldred Rock Lighthouse. I must have posted something on this website because a friend of Dennis Whelan's sent me a list of the Alaska lighthouses with the latitude and longitude. He went on the same route on a Princess cruise and included a general idea when they passed the lighthouses. When we were close to the area, I turned on the TV and the naturalist sometimes mentioned the lighthouses. We passed a few after dark when she was no longer talking. So, I primarily used the list from Dennis' friend and a map of the route from Princess.

I definitely splurged on the flights and the cruise. We upgraded to a mini suite because we were planning to spend a lot of time in the cabin.

Barry, I enjoy photographing birds as much as lighthouses. The mergansers swimming by were an added bonus to a wonderful day at Point Atkinson.

Tammy

Re: Vancouver Lights #179115 07/20/05 01:17 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Tammy, your images are stunning! I love the mountains and the fact that you used your telephoto for some more up-close shots of the far-away lights really brought those mountains into the images you took. Sounds like you guys had an incredible time. Aren't the mini-suites awesome? We had one on our December cruise and it was nice to have the balcony while Mary was taking a nap.

I had to share this shot of Pt. Atkinson with you by a Photo.net member (where I host my images) - it's the first time I'd ever seen an image of this lighthouse and it blew me away. Thought you'd enjoy it.

Pt. Atkinson Lighthouse

Re: Vancouver Lights #179116 07/20/05 12:28 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Jen,

I didn't know they ran cruises to Alaska in December. I'm not sure I'd want to be on the balcony then, either. laugh

Seriously, though I know you didn't take the photo but that's a great shot of Pt Atkinson. The look and colors of the sky make it all the better. Thanks for posting it here.

Dennis

Re: Vancouver Lights #179117 07/20/05 09:26 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Tammy,

We weren't as well prepared (obviously) and did like most good cruisers do in the evening in their late/short fall...stayed inside the boat. I was outside once when we passed one, but wasn't prepared (ie. no camera) and it was DARK!!

Enjoyed the info and pictures and want to go back when I have time and look them over leisurely. I hope you didn't mind me fwd'ing them to my girlfriend who wanted to reminisce (and was impressed) and my mom, who hasn't been (and probably won't - too tight wink :p )

Steve

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: Vancouver Lights #179118 07/20/05 11:03 PM
Tammy Wolfe Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Jen, That is a cool picture of Point Atkinson! When you display the larger image, it looks like a painting. Thanks for sharing.

Steve, There's always next time!!

Tammy

Re: Vancouver Lights #179119 07/21/05 12:16 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Tammy and Jenifer, you both take great pictures.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Vancouver Lights #179120 07/30/05 01:57 AM
Ned F Offline
You have some really nice compositions here. great job!

Re: Vancouver Lights #179121 08/01/05 08:15 PM
Beaconfollower Offline
Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing. smile

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons
Re: Vancouver Lights #179122 08/01/05 11:04 PM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Tammy, they don't get much better than this!

Bud

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 821 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users