Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Moving Lighthouses #22963 04/24/02 02:17 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
They've done it on Block Island. They've done it to Nauset Beach Light and Highland Light in Cape Cod and to Cape Hatteras in North Carolina.

They've moved lighthouses back from the brink of disaster.

What happens when you need to move your collection of Harbour Lights? Careful planning and packing can help save your lighthouses from disaster and assure a safe trip to your new home.

Read the story.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 04-24-2002).]

Re: Moving Lighthouses #22964 04/24/02 08:06 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
That was an interesting story, JC. You developed quite a system for moving an entire collection of HL's. It gives us all a greater appreciation for what Harbour Lights goes through when they take their pieces on the road for a show.

I don't envy you and all the work you had to do to secure your HL collection for moving. Now you have to move the rest of your belongings and that is no easy task.

I've only moved three times in my life. I consider moving a rather large pain in the butt. Hopefully, I'll stay right where I am and not have to worry about moving again.

Thanks for sharing your HL mini adventure in moving.

Bob

Re: Moving Lighthouses #22965 04/30/02 01:46 AM
Pharologst Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko

John, I know exactly what you went thru in packing. I moved my HL collection from FLA to NC about 16 months ago. As most of us know, when you collect HL's, you probably "collect" HL boxes as well. When we moved, I had a mover, except that we did all the packing. The mover just pickedup and delivered. OF all the "stuff" we packed, the HL collection got the most TLC, attention, and love. MANY hours were spent putting them back in their original styrofoam holders/boxes, and then packing those boxes into larger boxes. All the boxes were labeled only as HL, so that I could account for all of them quickly without giving away what their contents. All went well, as not one piece suffered any damage whatsoever, so the time and effort was well worth it!! To be truthful, I was more worried about ME causing damage during the packing/unpacking process. I have all my pieces on display in the house, and all their boxes stored in a 6'x15' enclosed area in my 3 car garage. The boxes are in boxes with moth balls for protection until the next major move comes!!

Geo H.

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 641 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users