Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Ten On Ebay second year Anniversary #145325 09/19/06 12:44 AM
DANIEL Online OP
Saint
OP Online
Saint
It is hard to believe that it has been over two years since I became the Moderator of the secondary Market and started The Top Ten on Ebay.
The first year I listed the top ten every WEEK. I have slowed up over the years and now only prepare one quarterly, but I hope to get it back to monthly or even bi-monthly. I have been told that it understandable for me to slack off since I must be running out of stuff to talk about. That is not true. There is still a lot of information to go over on the early HL it just takes time to write about it.

1. Collection of Harbour Lights $1500

Quote:
We have 47 large lighthouses with lights. These retail for $35-$90 each. We have 14 smaller lighthouses. These retail for $14.99 each. We're selling the entire! This is a $2300.00 collection that we're selling for $1,500.00!!!

Currituck, NC Amelia Island, Fl Marble Head, Oh West Quaddy, Me Jupiter Inlet, Fl Cape May, NJ Grand Traverse, MI Cana Island, Wi Pemaquid Point, ME Hillsboro Inlet, Fl Drum Point, MD Fire Island, NY Coquille River, OR Montauk, NY Diamond Head, Hi Yaquina Head, Or Grand Haven, Mi The Point, MD Tybee Island, GA Bodie Island, NC Sanibel Island, FL Cape Hatheras, NC Alcatraz, CA St. Joseph Pier, MI Highland, MA Cape Neddick, ME Boston Harbor, MA Hooper Strait, MD Southeast Block, RI Lights up: Heceta Head, OR Cockspur Island Brant Point, MA Minot's Lodge, MA Castle Hill, RI Cape Meares, OR Oak Island, NC Fenwik, DE Seven Footknoll, MD Port Isabel, TX Round Island, MI Ocracoke, NC Chatham, MA
At first I thought this was way too much to pay for 47 GLOWs and 14 LLOM. My opinion was based on the fact that in the past the GLOWs have had virtually no resale value. But looking at this in a different perspective I feel that the above is a fair price. These are all new lights and the lighted glows have not been out long enough to have its value beaten down on ebay. In general newer models go for more since many collectors have not acquired them yet. Also the lighted GLOWs are different from the old glows and may hold their value better.

Harbour lights on Ebay

2. HARBOUR LIGHTS HL 111 COQUILLE RIVER $1200

Quote:
HL 111 EDITION #1002 OF ONLY 1138
MADE IN CANADA (STICKER, AND FELT IS ABOUT 1/4" FROM OUTSIDE OF EDGE OF BOTTOM). HAS LIGHTING ROD and "SIGNED BY BILL YOUNGER". COMES WITH A CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY, TENT CARD, AND ORIGINAL BOX (BUT NOT A WHITE BOX)
For the past three years the going price for a three or four digit, Canadian mold (four door panel) on ebay has been $1000 to $1800. I feel that the more realistic value is $1200 to $1500. Its value is still holding strong and I don’t expect its value to lower anytime soon if ever. This lighthouse has been absorbed into “Q” public and hidden from most collectors before they had a chance to find one from a store. Even with ebay it is still out of the price range of most.

Four factors that will help keep its value up.

1. The most obvious one of course; is that the Coquille was retired and off the shelves before most of us ever collected. With only 1138 produced the Coquille is still well hidden. I feel that most of the early collectors that bought one at retail are not computer minded and have no idea how to buy or sell over the Internet or even have the desire to. It has been15 years since it came out and 13 ½ years since it retired. Many probably have been handed down to relatives or friends that don’t know their value. They were stashed away in attics or thrown away and long forgotten about. Yes; I do agree that because of ebay the price has come down over the years and the Coquille is more available than it has since it retired. But I feel the demand is still far greater than the supply and don’t expect any bargains any time soon.
2. There are three distinct style differences; The THREE PNL DOOR & GREEN WINDOW FRAME, the THREE PNL DOOR & WHITE WINDOW FRAME and the FOUR PNL DOOR & WHITE WINDOW FRAME. Though there may only be a handful of collectors that collect all the variations there are enough to keep the small amount available in demand.
3. When long time collectors decide to thin out their collections, in many cases they will clear out the common lighthouses and keep the rare ones like the Coquille. The Coquille is the last one they would part with.
4. As the coquille gets lower than the gong price it will be bought up by the so called “heavy roller collector” for an extra or a long-term investment. This again brings back the price.

Coquille on ebay

3. BURROWS ISLAND OREGON OR $ 399.99

Quote:
Washington Lighthouse (code HL108). This piece is numbered 402 and was limited to an edition of 2563 in total. It was announced on July 1, 1991 and was retired on July 1, 1994.
This piece has been incorrectly labeled "OR" for Oregon; The lighthouse is actually located in Washington. Approximately the first 500 pieces were issued with this error. My research suggests that this is the Canadian mold based upon the ventilator ball having a "collar". The piece also displays the typical green "flocking" used by Castle Studios and the highly sought after lightning rod. This lighthouse was surely produced from an early Canadian mold, as the detail above the windows and doors has not yet been improved as in later mold revisions.
I am fairly sure that this piece was repackaged as Canadian made lighthouses were usually shipped in a white box with the Castle Studios logo printed on the side. Many of Harbour Lights' first dealers unpacked the lighthouses and threw the boxes away. When collectors wanted boxes, the company arranged to have Castle Studios ship empty boxes to the dealers. For some time after production was shifted from Canada to Malaysia, Harbour Lights supplied the current style box with the blue photograph of Portland Head Light as replacements to collectors and dealers. Thus some Canadian made pieces may be found in these current style boxes.
This is the going price. For the past three years it has been going between $325 and $455. The burrows Island OR is very scarce. Since 1998 when I started Tracking on ebay I have tracked twice as many CH-1 and four times as many Coquille on ebay compared to the Burrows OR. With almost 500 of these produced you would think we would see more on ebay. But just like the coquille, the Borrows OR has been absorbed into the public before most of us collectors started collecting.
If it is so rare Then why does the Burrow OR only go for as high as $455? The answer is obvious. There are a lot more collectors of L.E. than there are for the variations. Many collectors are satisfied with a Burrows WA to fill their collection needs. And have no need or desire to collect the Oregon version. As Harbour light collectables go this is a bargain.
One correction to the seller’s description. He noted that the mold was a Canadian because the windows and door was not improved as compared to the Malaysian. This would make it a California mold not a Canadian mold. The difference between a Canadian and a Malaysian is usually just the paint. The difference between a California is usually the mold and the paint. (Remember this is a general statement and is not always true.) The lighthouse mentioned above most likely was made and painted in Canada but it was made from the old California mold. It is not unusual to find a early Limited HL in the 400’s with a California mold.

Burrows Island OR on Ebay

4. Harbour Lights Fresnel Lens #631 $280.05

Quote:
Harbour Lights Fresnel Lens #631 Produced in 2000 and isl # 756. Comes complete with all paperwork and box.
There is no doubt that this is the hottest limited edition production since the Big Bay. There seems to be no end in the Fresnel collecting madness. This is the going price. When it comes to the #631 they can even go as high as $ 360

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harbour-Lights-Fresn...1QQcmdZViewItem

5. HARBOUR LIGHTS FRESNEL LENS #651 3RD ORDER $225

Quote:
3RD ORDER #651 LENS WITH ORIGINAL BOX, CERTIFICATES AND PACKAGING. IT IS NUMBER 1655 OF 5000. EVERYTHING IS IN NEW CONDITION. ITEM HAS NEVER BEEN DISPLAYED. ONLY OUT OF THE BOX FOR PICTURE.
This is on the high side but all Fresnel are in demand. As I have said in the past that collectors like to collect complete sets. Since the original HL set is so overwhelming, collectors had to admit defeat and not collect them all. But the Fresnel lens is different. Usually no more than one or two are produced a year which a collector can keep up. Collectors that have missed the boat are going back and completing their Fresnel collection. This is putting a secondary demand on the retired ones.
The ebay price $60 to $160.

On Ebay

6. HL101 Admiralty Head WA $159.99

Quote:
This is a Canadian piece and does have a Lightening Rod. The bottom is flocked and the flocking does not go all the way to the edge. This is the mis-spelled version with Admiralty spelled Admirality. Admiralty Head is in really nice condition with no nicks, chips, or missing paint. Lighthouse comes with its White Castle Studios box. The flag number of this piece is 1607/5,500. Lighthouse comes with tent card, C.O.A. and registration card as well as the white tag from the artist who painted this piece.
This is the going price on ebay. Things that help the value are the Stamp and card.

7. HL 125 PORTLAND HEAD $158.50

Quote:
PORTLAND HEAD, MAINE" HL125 EDITION #4828
ISSUED 7/1992 RETIRED 8/04/1994
COMES WITH A CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY, TENT CARD, HANDPAINTED BY CARD & POSTCARD
HAS ORIGINAL BOX AND IS SIGNED BY BILL YOUNGER
ONLY OUT OF BOX A FEW TIMES
SMOKE FREE HOME
This is an extremely clean looking piece. The going price for a Portland head is $120 to $160

Portland Head on Ebay

8. HARBOUR LIGHTS FRESNEL LENS #650 3.5rd ORDER $157.55

Quote:
Number 650 LENS WITH ORIGINAL BOX, CERTIFICATES AND PACKAGING. IT IS NUMBER 1526 OF 5000. INCLUDES LIGHT FOR DISPLAY PURPOSES. iT IS 7.5" TALL BY 5.5" WIDE BY 4" DEEP. EVERYTHING IS IN NEW CONDITION. ITEM HAS NEVER BEEN DISPLAYED. ONLY OUT OF THE BOX FOR PICTURE.
On the high side of the going price. Price on ebay $60 to $150

9. Harbour Lights 2005 Reunion Exclusive Waugoshance,MI $146.04

Quote:
Harbour Lights 2005 Reunion Exclusive #690 Waugoshance, MI. Limited edition piece, signed by Bill, Nancy and Kim. It is item #391 of 519. It has been stored in a smoke-free environment and taken out of the box only to be inspected. It comes with original box and paperwork.
This is the going price. As I have said in the past this is a good time to buy reunion L.E.

10 .Harbour Lights HL 200 Navesink NJ $129.50

Quote:
This is the limited edition lighthouse that was retired/sold out by Harbour Lights in December 2000. This lighthouse figurine is NEW, in the original box, with certificate of authenticity, etc.
This is the going price. I doubt it ever sold out from the shelf. I think my dealer in Jacksonville still has them. The original plan was to have them on a timed production. Harbour Lights originally plan on it being a redemption piece for their fifth anniversary. The plan was that any collector could purchase only one during the time period of June to December 1997. Because of the $245 price tag HL estimated that they would sell only 3000. As time went on the estimate grew to 6,000. Because of the pressure from a group of primary dealers HL was convinced to issue it as a regular issue with a production of 9500.
Many dealers stocked up expecting a sell out but that never happened. Speculators forgot some important collecting formula. Production Size + Physical Size. + Cost = sell ability. HL should have listened to their instincts and made a smaller production size or even a time issued. A production of 4000 or even 5000 and it would have made it a sought after collectable today.

DANIEL
Re: Top Ten On Ebay second year Anniversary #145326 09/19/06 03:32 AM
beachcomber Offline
Terrific report, as usual, Dan! We continue to learn so much from you. Thanks for sharing your expertise!

beachcomber
Re: Top Ten On Ebay second year Anniversary #145327 09/19/06 10:11 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Another great report and associated explanations. I wish you could go back to monthly reports or at least every other month.

Rich
Re: Top Ten On Ebay second year Anniversary #145328 09/19/06 10:21 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Daniel, we enjoy you keeping us in touch with what's going on in the secondary world. I pride myself with thinking I know what's happening but you always come up with something I'vr missed or forgot. Thanks for your tome and enthusiam.
Bob cool

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Top Ten On Ebay second year Anniversary #145329 09/19/06 10:24 AM
DANIEL Online OP
Saint
OP Online
Saint
Thanks for the kind words
I was mistaken, I started out listing the top ten weekly not monthly. I made the correction above.
My son and daughter each have some internet classes for school.
Though we are a four computer family I only supply internet for two of the computers.
So when ever my daughter has schoolwork I give up my computer for her. That is why you don’t hear from me sometimes for days.

DANIEL
Re: Top Ten On Ebay second year Anniversary #145330 09/19/06 11:25 AM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great report and very informative! I always looked forward to your reports (even before I joined the forum)and still do. Thank you for all the time and effort to help keep us informed!!! smile

Debbie
Re: Top Ten On Ebay second year Anniversary #145331 09/19/06 05:50 PM
kikigl Offline
Thanks Daniel for keeping us informed. It is a big help.

Kay
Re: Top Ten On Ebay second year Anniversary #145332 09/20/06 11:52 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks, Daniel! Your report was very interesting. I look foward to more of them in the future.

smile Bob smile

Re: Top Ten On Ebay second year Anniversary #145333 09/21/06 01:20 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Enjoyed reading your report as always.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Top Ten On Ebay second year Anniversary #145334 09/21/06 11:58 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Wow!!! Very interesting to read in one report. I check ebay daily in hopes to add some older lighthouses to my collection, but nice to see the big sales summary. cool

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Top Ten On Ebay second year Anniversary #145335 09/21/06 08:30 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
DANIEL,

Your in-depth analysis is absolutely amazing to behold. How do you ever manage to collect such a phenomenal collection of interesting and accurate information?

bobo

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,681 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users