cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A Tragic Day #119897 12/15/03 01:50 AM
Mike Hershberger Offline OP
OP Offline
From Mishawaka, Indiana, approximately 15 miles from where I live.

At approximately 1:00am on Saturday morning, Mishawaka police recieved a complaint of a man who had fired a gun inside of a home during an argument over a necklace he had just stolen from an acquaintance. By the time officers got to the home, the suspect had fled the scene, but witnesses saw where ehe went and directed officers there. Corporal Tom Roberts and Patrolman Bryan Verkler went to the home where they encountered the suspect, Raymond Gilkeson. It is unclear what exactly happened, but within seconds or minutes shots were fired.

Corporal Roberts was killed. Patrolman Verkler died approximately 3 hours later in surgery.

Gilkeson was wounded, and fled to another house, which he entered and sat at the kitchen table. Gilkeson told the residents to leave, and as they exited they watched as Gilkeson shot himself once in the head.

Corporal Roberts, a 14 year veteran, is survived by his ex-wife and two adult daughters. Patrolman Verkler, a 2 year veteran, is survived by his wife.

Think of my brothers this holiday season, and remember them the next time you see a police officer in your town. We face this possibility every day. We do it for you.

Re: A Tragic Day #119898 12/15/03 02:03 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
A real tragedy for all concerned. Especially scary as my niece will soon be married to to a rookie on the Mishawaka force. Our thoughts and prayers will be with the officers families.

Re: A Tragic Day #119899 12/15/03 03:39 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
It is the simple sounding calls and the normal traffic stops that turn to tragedy so quickly...My thoughts and prayers are with these families as well as all the other brave officers that put on the uniform everyday to protect us all...
Ruthie

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: A Tragic Day #119900 12/15/03 11:27 AM
DMancini Offline
My great-grandparents lived in Mishawaka for many years.

Sending along my thoughts and prayers to these families.

Diane
Re: A Tragic Day #119901 12/15/03 12:41 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Being a retired police officer I know exactly what Mike is saying. All of us should take just one minute a day and remember the men and women of the police and fire services everywhere who put their lives on the line everyday. Many of us have a choice of staying away from danger. These men and women are sent into those situations on a daily basis. OUr thought and prayers will be with the families of those two men.

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: A Tragic Day #119902 12/16/03 11:54 PM
bright eyes Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
My father-in-law served with the Michigan State Police for 25 years!

Our hearts and prayers are with the families during this most difficult time!

Re: A Tragic Day #119903 12/18/03 01:45 PM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the fallen policemen. May God sustain them as they try to sort out this tragedy.
God Bless All those who take an oath to Protect and Serve.

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: A Tragic Day #119904 12/22/03 08:16 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
"In the line of duty" deaths are a very sad thing to experience for all those involved.

They say time heals all wounds, but that isn't so. Many may forget, but some never will. Look into the eyes of the family that lost a loved one and you'll see what I mean.

Many give their sympathies and try to help when something like this happens. It is an honorable thing to do, but few are there for the long run.

Why is it you have to die to be considered a hero? I consider every police officer, fireman, and member of our Armed Forces as heroes just for doing what they do. It's a thankless job in most cases. You make a commitment to do the job, and you do it. Sometimes your commitment costs you your life.

I have lost many friends throughout my thirty-one years of fighting crime. Some were closer than others, but I still think of them all. My deepest condolences go out to the family and friends of Corporal Roberts and Patrolman Verkler.

Bob M.

Re: A Tragic Day #119905 12/25/03 04:13 AM
Mike Hershberger Offline OP
OP Offline
As if this Mishawaka incident weren't enough, our community lost another hero this week.

Indiana State Police trooper Scott A. Patrick, 27, was shot and killed on Monday morning as he approached what he thought was s atranded motorist on an exit ramp of I-80 near Gary. As Trooper Patrick approached the driver, who was walking away, the subject drew a .40 cal pistol and opened fire on Trooper Patrick without warning. Trooper Patrick was able to return fire, but he was struck once in the neck and died at the scene.

Another Trooper resopnded quickly, and shot the suspect, who was taken to a hospital and was charged with murder today.

Trooper Patrick served ISP for 3 years. He is survived by his wife, who just found out that she is pregnant with the couple's first child. Trooper Patrick will be laid to rest two days after Christmas.

Re: A Tragic Day #119906 12/25/03 04:55 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
How terrible. That recent one in Gary really tore out my heart. My prayers are with these families.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 832 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users