Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Prayers for the crew of the USS Cole #112258 10/16/00 02:52 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
This past weekend when the Navy family should have been celebrating its' 225th birthday they were instead mourning the loss of 17 Sailors aboard the United States Ship Cole. The 17 young men and women were performing their duties and serving our country when they were murdered in a cowardly act of terrorism.

Even as I post this, the heroic crew of the Cole is fighting to keep the ship afloat while they mourn the loss of friends and shipmates. The action of these fine Sailors speaks highly of the quality of people that compose our US Armed Forces today.

Please keep the crew members of the Cole in your prayers during this time. Remember also the families of the Sailors who were killed- the parents, spouses, children, siblings and friends who have lost someone in such a tragic manner.

Dave Hannum
CTRCS, USNR (ret)

Re: Prayers for the crew of the USS Cole #112259 10/16/00 03:42 AM
Torchbearer Offline
To the family and friends of those who were lost, my deepest heartfelt condolences, I quote:

"...I feel how weak and fruitless must be, any words of mine that would attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming, but I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our Heavenly Father may swage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memories of the loved lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom..."

Timothy D. Young
BMC, U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)

Re: Prayers for the crew of the USS Cole #112260 10/16/00 11:51 AM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
And our politicians keep telling us this is peace time.
oseabee Bill O'Brien BU1 USN RET.

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Prayers for the crew of the USS Cole #112261 10/16/00 01:51 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
I give my gratitude and respect to the men and women who serve this country. It is with much sorrow that we have lost these wonderful young people and have so many wounded. I hope their families find the strength to go on and know that we remember them with honor and courage.

Joanne

Re: Prayers for the crew of the USS Cole #112262 10/16/00 11:27 PM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We too pray for those brave soldiers that have given life and limb to help keep our Country free. Their families need our support and prayers. Ruthie & Terry

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Prayers for the crew of the USS Cole #112263 10/18/00 11:46 AM
Beaconfollower Offline
Yes my heart goes out to the wounded and the families of the lost souls. I remember when
my husband was in the Navy. Although it was peace time, when he was in the Middle East there was always a concern that something could happen. A special thank you to all you who have served in the military for your country during peace time or in time of conflicts, we salute you.

Sheryl & Joseph (Class of USNA 74)

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons
Re: Prayers for the crew of the USS Cole #112264 10/18/00 03:30 PM
RoyMcB Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Words alone can not express what these families are going through.Like one of the speakers said today at the memorial service, "What a price to pay for Freedom",I really think back on my career in the service and realize that Freedom is never really Free. We all pay a price somewhere down the line.Carolyn & I send our heartfelt prayers to those families who lost loved ones and to those who now have a very deep scar to remember their fallen comrades by. Roy McBee USAF(80-86) Carolyn

------------------
Roy & Carolyn

Roy & Carolyn
Re: Prayers for the crew of the USS Cole #112265 10/24/00 04:31 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thought I'd pass this on even though it was sent almost a week ago. I received it from my nephew who is in the Air Force and he received it from a friend. I'm sure this young man speaks for all of those out there that are protecting our country.
This is from a heli pilot supporting the Sailors on the COLE
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2000 11:26 AM
To: Brown, Hamett Q. AVCM(VS22)
Subject:
>
CO, XO, CMC,
>
I just got an e-mail from a good friend of mine who flies SH-60B's off the USS Hawes. I thought you might like to read it.
It wasn't until a few days ago though, that we started doing something that I feel may be the first thing I've seen in my short Naval >career that has truly made a difference. Right now we're supporting the USS COLE and her crew in Aden. When the attack occurred we were a day away. Just by luck we happened to be on our way out of the Gulf and headed towards the Suez and could get here in a relatively short amount of time. I know what you all have seen on CNN, because we have seen it too. I just want you all to know that what you see doesn't even scratch the surface. I'm not going to get into it for obvious reasons. But I will tell you that right now there are 250+ sailors just a few miles away living in hell on Earth. I'm sitting in a nice air conditioned state room, they're sleeping out on the decks at night. You can't even imagine the conditions they're living in, and yet they are still fighting 24 hours a day to save their ship and free the bodies of those still trapped and send them home. As bad as it is, they're doing an incredible job. The very fact that these people are still functioning is beyond my comprehension. Whatever you imagine as the worst, multiply it by ten and you might get there. Today I was tasked to photo rig the ship and surrounding area. It looked so much worse than I had imagined, unbelievable really, with debris and disarray everywhere, the ship listing, the hole in her side. I wish I had the power to relay to you all what I have seen, but words just won't do it. I do want to tell you the first thing that jumped out at me - the Stars and Stripes flying. I can't tell you how that made me feel...even in this God forsaken hell hole our flag was more beautiful than words can describe. Then I started to notice the mass of activity going on below, scores of people working nonstop in 90 plus degree weather to save this ship. They're doing it with almost no electrical power and they're sleeping (when they can sleep) outside on the decks because they can't stand the smell or the heat or the darkness inside. They only want to eat what we bring them because they're all scared of eating something brought by the local vendors. Even with all that, the USS COLE and her crew is sending a message guys, and it's that even acts of cowardice and hate can do nothing to the spirit and pride of the United States. I have never been so proud of what I do, or of the men and women that I serve with as I was today. There are sixteen confirmed dead sailors who put it on the line for all of us, and some of them are still trapped here. Please take a minute to pray for their families and say a word of thanks for their sacrifice - one made so that we can live the lives that we do. All of you that serve with me, thank you. All of you that have loved ones that serve, thank you." Please feel free to pass this on to those you think will appreciate it.
>
V/R
LT Landry

Ruthie

Ruthie
Re: Prayers for the crew of the USS Cole #112266 10/25/00 02:32 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Ruthie, thanks for posting this powerfull letter from LT Landry. What a message he shared with us.

Dave

Re: Prayers for the crew of the USS Cole #112267 10/25/00 08:01 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Thanks for sharing the note with us Ruthie. As Dave says, it really hits home. God bless the fallen sailors, comfort their families, and give strength to all crews as they meet their duty in troubled waters.

__
/im

Re: Prayers for the crew of the USS Cole #112268 10/25/00 11:17 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I have a friend that has forwarded me two email messages from the ships in direct contact with the USS Cole. Currently the crew is sleeping on the deck and fighting a 24 hour battle to save their ship. They have been offered R&R but so far none of them want to leave their ship.

(Is it possible to cut and paste a message to this forum from regular AOL email?)

Bob M.

Re: Prayers for the crew of the USS Cole #112269 10/26/00 01:56 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob, in fact it is possible to cut & paste...that's how I put it here...if you have one too I would love to read it.

Ruthie ...

Ruthie
Re: Prayers for the crew of the USS Cole #112270 10/26/00 06:29 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Lets see if I can get this to work...

From the SUPPLY OFFICER on USS ANCHORAGE.

Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2000 1:31 AM
To
Subject: FW: News from the USS COLE

Everyone,

Please take a minute from your busy day to read this. There is always
someone protecting your freedom even if you don't think about it.

John, Your friend said it all. We too are on station and I will be
going over there in the morning to provide a lunch. I wanted to grill
steak for them on their deck, but there is still too much oil and fuel, not
to mention every square foot of deck is now their living space, to set up a
grill. Their requests have been simple, hot food, cold drinks and dry
coveralls and boots.
The ships here are all taking turns doing their laundry and cooking
their meal. The Cole's crew has been offered repeatedly to take R&R on
another ship but most have refused. They refuse to leave their ship. The
details of their shipmates having to be cut from the bulkheads and
descriptions and photos of the description have filtered to our ship. It is
amazing that more were not killed. It is equally amazing that it is still
afloat. The keel is ripped apart and at present cannot even be towed to
open water to be placed on a dry-dock vessel. The #1 engine room is flooded
solid, as is AUX 1. The Messdecks deck is now pressed against the overhead.
The entire galley was pushed to the starboard side and the equipment is
unrecognizable. This is where many crew members died. The ship was very
nearly lost. They are truly heroes. We all have a lot to do to save this
vessel but the crew of the Cole has endured the brunt of it so far.
I have vowed myself and my department to offer any comfort, large or
small that we are capable of providing, to the Cole. None of my guys have
once complained and all have volunteered to help in any way. The Cole's
Supply Officer was injured and flown home. The disbo is now running things.
I will assess his needs when I go over. The Suppo on the Hawes has been
controlling the efforts but now that the Tarawa is on station they seem to
be taking the rains, but I think I can at least provide him some insight.
Let there be no doubt that this is a hostile land. It took days
before we were even allowed to enter territorial waters and still we are
heavily restricted in flights and must maintain a constant vigil against
additional hostile actions. The Yemen government is still not being very
helpful and we are trying to place all personnel onboard the ships that are
currently staying at the two hotels in town.
The Cole's crew remains emotionally and physically drained I'm told.
So, since you have experienced Navy life, try relay to those back home the
sacrifices we make, hardships we endure, and the dangers we face in an
effort to keep those Stars and Stripes flying high over a ship 10,000 miles
from home. Take care and sleep well knowing the US Navy is on watch
tonight, but say a prayer for the 250 members of the Cole who must wake
tomorrow to another day of fighting for their ship.

John Cassani
USS ANCHORAGE

"REMEMBER THE COLE"

(Thanks to Dave H. for teaching me the "Ctrl V" trick)

[This message has been edited by Bob M (edited 10-26-2000).]

Re: Prayers for the crew of the USS Cole #112271 10/27/00 12:11 AM
Brent Offline
GOD BLESS all these folks and their families. We are blessed to have such dedicated professionals "on the watch"! Thanks for sharing the letter, Bob. While its a time to mourn...its also a time to be proud.

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,278 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users