Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anchor Bay guessing game. #106769 06/23/07 07:38 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
It has been very lonely here at the shipyard and it's time we got some interest in the new upcoming Anchor Bay release going. Lightship, Coast Guard Ship, Coast Guard Small Boat, Navy Ship, Ocean Liner or Light Service Tender! What is it going to be and when will it come out? Will it be a single issue or a double issue like the Mackinaw? Or could it be a series of issues like the next 3 years of Christmas Pieces. I'm getting excited because even though I love lighthouses, I love ships even more. Let's hear your thoughts on the next Anchor Bay release.

Rich
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106770 06/23/07 08:20 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Tony told the folks at the regional that the piece would be announced Labor Day weekend. He is excited, especially after seeing the piece.

Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106771 06/23/07 09:42 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Well, I guess that takes the guess work out of when it will be announced. We still have the when it will be available and what it is. Did he give out any clues on that at the regional?

Rich
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106772 06/23/07 09:44 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Any clues to help us with guessing?

Like is it a Lightship, or USCG vessel, or neither?

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106773 06/24/07 02:30 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
it is a ship. . . . . I made Tony clarify that for everyone. He didn't say any more than that.

Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106774 06/24/07 10:21 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I think Harbour Lights is making an AB collector out of me again.
The two models of the Mac was what got me back to collecting them. Split the production between two variations and this still allows plenty of the AB for all collectors but the two types create a lower production variation.

I have already looked into getting my AB for this year. I feel that with the new owner of HL letting Harry Run with the creativity we are going to see AB become a front-runner of the HL collectables. And remember HL collectors, the AB are now Harbour lights, so if you collect all Harbour Lights you will need the new AB ship to complete your Harbour Light collection. As I have said in the past, I expect AB to become well sought after. In the near future I expect the AB to be as popular as the Fresnel Lenses.

DANIEL
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106775 06/24/07 11:31 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
And remember HL collectors, the AB are now Harbour lights, so if you collect all Harbour Lights you will need the new AB ship to complete your Harbour Light collection.
I'm confused, Daniel. When was Anchor Bay not part of the Harbour Lights line?

Judy

Judy
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106776 06/24/07 02:38 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
I don't see it that way. Harbour Lights are Lighthouses. Anchor Bay are ships. Dont get neurotic about it.

imho

Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106777 06/24/07 03:01 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Anchor Bay was made exclusively for Younger and Associates until HL was sold.
Skybound balloons was made for Harbour lights until HL was sold and now are made exclusively for Younger and Associates.
J.P. Brown is made exclusively for Younger and Associates.
Knights of the not so round table was made exclusively for Younger and Associates.
Guardian of the night was made by Harbour Lights.
LLOM was made by Harbour Lights.
The by gone days figurines was listed as Younger and associated in their brochure but has by Harbour Lights on the figurines.
Harbour lights was made exclusively for Younger and Associates until HL was sold.

Harbour lights is the trade name of the collectable that we all know.
Anchor Bay was not under the Harbour light trade name until the new owner took over Harbour lights.

Quote:
Dont get neurotic about it.
Too late.

DANIEL
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106778 06/24/07 06:33 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm hoping its a lightship ( the Barnegat, maybe the Liberty, whistling ) but a real old time USCG ship might be cool.

The one thing we know is it is a "ship". So is that a lightship, a USCG larger vessel, or would they do something Navy???

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106779 06/24/07 07:31 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Loon - Your supposed to guess, not ask more questions. I've already asked those questions so what do you think. Go on record and give us your best guess. I'll give you one hint and that is any vessel that the Coast Guard has that is over 65' in length is considered a ship so that would include everything from a River Buoy Tender up to and including a Polar Class Icebreaker. I believe that any "named" vessel that the Navy has is classified as a ship and any "unnamed" vessel is a boat. Lightships is lightships and were named for the area they were serving. So now, that gives you a wide range to choose from.

Rich
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106780 06/24/07 07:59 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Rich, Didn't mean to ask more questions, but I was curious if Tony gave Dave a clue when he referred to the AB as a "ship". From you explaination of USCG vessels, that could be anything.

I also wonder if Dave already knows and is playing with us. He's a Navy guy, right.

I also wondering if you already know. You've been on record wanting more Coast Guard ships. If you were disapointed would you start this tread? I know I'm asking more questions.

But there is still a chance that it's a lightship.

So for the record, I think it's the Liberty Lightship. (But why do I also feel it's a USCG ship). confused

Stan M
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106781 06/24/07 08:03 PM
R
ropetrick Offline
R
I am hoping for a "Secretary Class" cutter.

But expecting a lightship.

Dan

Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106782 06/24/07 09:53 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Loon - Asking questions is what this is all about so I was having a little fun with you. The reason I started this thread is because I'm the moderator and we have had nothing to look forward to since last year with the Mackinaws. I'm excited that an Anchor Bay is being made.

My personal preference, as I stated about 6-8 months ago is an older high endurance cutter such as the Androscoggin(255') or Ingham(327'). A lightship would also make me happy. Just PLEASE no more Coast Guard rubber life rafts.

Rich
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106783 06/24/07 10:43 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
cheers
Quote:
Originally posted by flacoastie:
Just PLEASE no more Coast Guard rubber life rafts.
cheers
I'm with you on that.

Rich, I like your AB wishlists picks. If not this year maybe next year. I've got a good feeling about it being a lightship, but trying not to get my hopes too high. I had a good feeling about winning the car raffle yesterday at the Shelter Cove Beach Party. frown Didn't happen.

Stan M
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106784 06/25/07 01:10 AM
Hal Dean Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
My guess is that it will the Ambrose Lightship

Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106785 06/25/07 11:34 AM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'll go on record that is will be a "lightship" but the real answer is which one??? I'll go on record for the Barnegat!

Hey...so if we guess it correct, do we win one?

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106786 06/26/07 06:23 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
uh, no, but thanks for asking. You would have to be satisfied with bragging rights...

Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106787 06/27/07 12:15 AM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would still like it to be the Duane or the Midgett. But I would be happy if it is the Androscoggin or the Ingham.

Cyndi
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106788 06/27/07 09:24 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
The time has come for another Lightship. They have been popular in the past and should be in the future.

cool Bob cool

Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106789 08/05/07 12:50 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Anymore guesses at what the next AB is going to be.

I'm sticking with my original guess: The Liberty lightship.

Stan M
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106790 08/14/07 10:43 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Lighthouse Loon:
Rich, Didn't mean to ask more questions, but I was curious if Tony gave Dave a clue when he referred to the AB as a "ship". From you explaination of USCG vessels, that could be anything.

I also wonder if Dave already knows and is playing with us. He's a Navy guy, right.

I also wondering if you already know. You've been on record wanting more Coast Guard ships. If you were disapointed would you start this tread? I know I'm asking more questions.

But there is still a chance that it's a lightship.

So for the record, I think it's the Liberty Lightship. (But why do I also feel it's a USCG ship). confused
Well it looks like Rich was playing with us... and my gut feeling was correct about it being a USCG ship even though I wanted the Liberty.

Stan M
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106791 08/15/07 01:24 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Loon - I was sworn to secrecy from the beginning.

Rich
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106792 08/15/07 08:23 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
That's Ok Rich, I understand.

They look nice. Can't wait to see them up close.

I had a strong feeling that it was going to be a USCG ship, but my heart wanted a lightship.

I feel lightships are closer to lighthouses then USCG ships. But I understand the link between many coasties and lighthouses.

Stan M
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106793 08/15/07 08:52 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I'm very happy with this new Anchor Bay and really can't wait to see them first hand. The USCGC Tandy is a wonderful choice.

Sorry Loon, I know you wanted a lightship, but I don't know that I can agree with you about the closer connection to lighthouses. You know, it's the crew of USCG ships and boats that still keep the lights burning in many a lighthouse, and have for years. Until recent years, it was the USCG that took care of the maintenance of those lighthouses, especially the ones at sea. So they were the keepers.

Rich, thanks for your work and contributions to aid Harry. That must have been exciting.

If you are curious and haven't called a dealer as yet, I checked the Cape Annies site today to see the cost which is right in line with what I expected to find.
USCGC Taney at Cape Annie\'s

Judy smile

Judy
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106794 08/15/07 09:22 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Judy, I know there is a close relationship between lighthouses and the Coast Guard, but a lightship is a floating lighthouse. How can you get any closer ???

Stan M
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106795 08/15/07 10:08 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Judy - Thanks for your kind words about the Coast Guard. This ship is long overdue. It's a real tribute to those men that fought at Pearl Harbor and little is known about how the Taney, after fighting the Japanese, got underway and patroled the harbor at Pearl for the next several week to make sure submarines did not enter.

The Taney was one of many CG High Endurance Cutters that pulled Ocean Station Patrols and weather patrols to make sure that Ocean liners were safe from icebergs and civilain airplanes knew their positions on transatlantic flights. While these ships might not be lighthouses(in Loon's words) they were more like a lighthouse then the lightships were. They were the guiding light, so to speak, for many aircraft and ocean liners during their days. They also fought in Viet Nam, ran down drug smugglers, save many Cuban and Haitian refugees, boarded many vessels to check for contraban, and in their spare time, saved countless lives of pleasure boat operators.

I sure would like to hear what everyone's thoughts are on these 2 Anchor Bay models and whether or not you plan to buy the pair, or buy them separately. Harry put a lot of time into this pair of Anchor Bays and I know that without Don, Tony and Harry's perserverance this tribute to the "wooden Deck Coasties" would not have happened. Let me hear from you all on this subject and let it be known that HL will listen to you if you care enough to put together a good reason for them to build a replica.

Rich
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106796 08/15/07 11:34 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Rich, I always have kind words and praise for the Coast Guard, possibly evidenced by my numerous posts within the The United States Coast Guard forum here.

The Taney was a perfect choice for an Anchor Bay piece. There is so much history and honor surrounding this particular ship, and it is a great representative of other USCG Cutters that have performed outstanding service with little glory.

I'm anxious to see the detailed photos and view Harry's handiwork.

Do you know if the platform is attached or a separate piece? The initial photos make the base appear to be attached. I'm just being curious.

Judy

Judy
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106797 08/15/07 11:47 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I agree the Taney is a great choice if it's going to be a USCG ship. I'm a big history nut, so a WWII ship is great. I think if it's going to be a USCG ship, it's got to be the older ones.

If you need a good reason for HL to make a lightship replica, how about another one is long overdue. Oh, and of course they are floating lighthouses with over a hundred years of history. wink

Stan M
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106798 08/16/07 01:26 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Judy - I'm not really sure if the base is attached or not. I saw the pictures of the Artist Proofs and don't really remember seeing a base, but, I was so excited to finally see them done that I may have looked at the base and not even seen it. Maybe Tony can answer that question or someone more in the know then me.

Rich
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106799 08/16/07 04:20 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Thanks Rich. And I can understand your excitement seeing the Artist Proof photos for the first time.

Judy

Judy
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106800 08/16/07 09:03 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Got the word from Tony that the Taney model is about 11" long x 4" wide x 5" high. Nice size.

To all our Coasties: Is this going to be of interest on any and every Coast Guard veteran? Or just to a limited number?

Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106801 08/16/07 09:27 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Judy, the base is attached to the ship.

Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106802 08/16/07 09:48 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
To all our Coasties: Is this going to be of interest on any and every Coast Guard veteran? Or just to a limited number?
John, I would think this would be of interest to some active Coasties as well as veterans. I personally know several who are Harbour Lights collectors, so there must be more.

Judy

Judy
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106803 08/16/07 10:00 PM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have placed my order for the pair. My husband told me to order them (I would have anyway).

He says the Taney is a sister ship to the Duane and the Spencer. He did his schooling on the Spencer and served on the Duane. He knew what they were as soon as I showed him a copy of the Musings. He had to explain to me and Justin the differance between the grey and the white.

Cyndi
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106804 08/16/07 10:26 PM
TDSimpson Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I am undecided about ordering these now that Dave has informed us that they are attached to the base. They do look like they are very nicely done though. Decisions, decisions!

Tom

Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106805 08/17/07 12:02 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
While I would have preferred the wooden base not be attached, I think the reasoning behind this is because the AB product line is not coming with cases anymore, the base sort of dresses up the model. I will buy cases for them from the manufacturer that I bought the Mackinaws cases from. They were very reasonable( approx.$35) and look almost the same as the original AB cases. This will be my favorite AB and not for the reason that I helped research the pictures. Being a veteran of Viet Nam, Ocean and Weather Station patrols, boarding ships and finally Search and Rescue from the High Endurance Cutters, I have a deep feeling for the old 255', 311', and 327' WHECs. They were the backbone of the modern day Coast Guard and to this day, the 327' Secretary Class Cutter was, and still is, the smoothest riding and best looking of all decommisioned and present day cutters. The Secretary Class Cutter, slicing through either calm or rough seas, made you think that you were on a pleasure craft. The twin screws enabled the Cutter to turn or stop on a dime and this was what saved the 327's from being destroyed by the German Subs during WWII. As you can tell, I have fond memories from my 5 years at sea, and in Viet Nam, on these ships. There is no doubt in my military mind that I will have a pair, and maybe 2, of these models.

Rich
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106806 08/17/07 01:52 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
The base is not wooden but made of resin much like the Cape Neddick HL329 lighthouse's base... It is then painted to look like wood. The Fresnel len\'s have bases like this, made of resin painted to look like wood.

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106807 08/17/07 09:27 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would have rather it had more water/waves around it then a wooden looking platform. I'll still buy it, but I wonder if the platform could be painted. eek

Stan M
Re: Anchor Bay guessing game. #106808 08/27/07 10:47 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have officially ordered a matching set of the Taney's. Looking forward to their arrival.

I know there's been a lot of us who don't like the faux wood base, but it's probably too late to change it even if HL wanted to.

I'm just hoping this is the last one with a wood look base. IMO, more water/waves instead. smile

Stan M

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,040 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users