cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Yacht Kim - opinions/quality #106936 08/12/02 10:33 AM
Stainz Offline OP
OP Offline
I found an AB-105S for $68 several days ago. The case looks a bit smaller than the one on my Lori and, of course, the bigger lightship models. In just a cursory inspection, the painted detail looked a tad sloppy - but it was late. I planned to return later this week, perhaps to bring it home. Is the small yacht up to the 'stamdards' of the other boat models? Is that a decent price? How do you like your 'Kim' models, if you have one?

Thanks!

John

Re: Yacht Kim - opinions/quality #106937 08/12/02 05:31 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
The Motor Yacht Kim is an exceptionally good buy at $68 seeing it originally retailed for about twice as much. The paint on mine is fine. The brown paint on the sides of the cabin is a little streaky to simulate wood grain and varnish, I would think.

Buy it, you'll like it!

smile Bob smile

Re: Yacht Kim - opinions/quality #106938 08/12/02 08:05 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
This is only an opinion as I decided early on to collect only Light Vessels and Coast Guard Vessels. If you like the Anchor Bay Line and YOU like the Motor Yacht Kim then at $68.00, BUY, BUY, BUY!. It's half off and they aren't making them anymore and what's money anyway. The biggest problem is that this will just fuel your addiction and you know what that does to the plastic cards.

Rich cool

Rich
Re: Yacht Kim - opinions/quality #106939 08/12/02 10:28 PM
Dick Johnson Offline
When I saw the word "sloppy" I pulled mine out of the case and gave it the once over again. I agree that the steaky brown was to simulate a wood appearance & I am fine with that. However, I did find that the stripes on the sail on the sailboat, & the stripes on the tank in the middle of the boat to be of an unusually sloppy nature for HL. Almost all of the rest of the detail is about what I have come to expect from HL. I guess they need to get rid of their "stripper".

Re: Yacht Kim - opinions/quality #106940 08/28/02 10:51 AM
Stainz Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, I finally bought the 'Kim'. The little yacht is cute, but it suffered a tad in the repacking by the saleslady. I straightened the mast and bowsprit and put the flag back where it belonged. A perusal of the model, recalling the pictures of others and the one at another store, revealed that mine has a very light brown (dark beige) cabin. This model was put on display a month or so back, so the paint hadn't faded from the fluorescent lamp's UV output in the mall store where I bought it. It is the 105S model - and the case is a bit smaller than the 'Lori', which is smaller than the lightship's cases. I couldn't make room for it on the same shelf as the others - it now graces a higher shelf.

I am pleased with this model - now all I need is the 'Columbia' lightship... Has anyone seen a 'cheap' one??

John

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,425 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users