Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mixed feelings on the new OE Minots Ledge. #97730 11/23/02 01:27 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I received my 4th Order Lens and the new Open Edition Minots Ledge this week. The first one I removed from the box was Minots Ledge.

I was impressed with how this piece is so different from past offerings by Harbour Lights. I immediately plugged in in to see what it looked like lit up. I stood back for a minute or so and studied the piece. The first thing I thought of was the fact the power cord is not detachable and were the heck am I going to display it.

Like all curio cabinets, mine are all glass enclosed. The power cord and switch is not an attractive thing to display in a curio which eliminates putting it in one of them. So where do I put it on display? I do have shelves on each side of my entertainment center where I display my Anchor Bay Boats but there is no place to plug it in and hide the power cord on those.

I have mixed feelings about this piece. I'm not sorry I bought it but do feel the retail price will keep many collectors from buying it, especially since it is an open edition. I think other people may feel the same way because they are already showing up on eBay.

What are your feelings about displaying this latest release? Are all of you going to purchase it?

smile Bob smile

Re: Mixed feelings on the new OE Minots Ledge. #97731 11/23/02 05:49 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Yup!

I am planning on spending my hard earned graduate school money on this piece, if it ever comes in to my dealer. At these prices, my stipend is going fast......

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: Mixed feelings on the new OE Minots Ledge. #97732 11/23/02 05:57 PM
T
TERRY BARFIELD Offline
T
I`ll let my dealer display it and go by and look at it. Thats as close as I`ll get to this one.

Re: Mixed feelings on the new OE Minots Ledge. #97733 11/23/02 06:18 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I want to see the Minot's Ledge before I make any decision on wether or not it comes home with me. I like the pictures, but the cord bothers me also.

Bob, You didn't tell us what you thought about the 4th order fresnel.

Bert wink

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Mixed feelings on the new OE Minots Ledge. #97734 11/23/02 06:28 PM
Ron Offline
I don't think the Minots Ledge fits in with any other Harbour Light. Yes it is very nice and would look great on maybe my Television far apart from my other Harbour lights.

Re: Mixed feelings on the new OE Minots Ledge. #97735 11/25/02 05:00 PM
lhlover Offline
I personally can't wait to purchase this one, my dealer has it waiting for me in the shop and is just awaiting my check. From the pictures, it looks wonderful and very detailed, plus the story Bill Younger told us about it at the Winter Regional Event sold me on it completely. smile I am disturbed to hear that the cord is not detachable, but I'm sure I'll find a place to put the light. Bill told me that the light even has a first order fresnel in the light. Is this correct?

The detail they give these lights are 120% impressive! Keep up the Great Work Harbour Lights!!! cool

BonnieJean
bjexum@floridalighthouses.org
Visit: www.floridalighthouses.org
Re: Mixed feelings on the new OE Minots Ledge. #97736 12/04/02 03:10 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
The good news is that my dealer said that they are selling well.
The bad news is that they are now being dumped on ebay.
There is a total of eight on there right now and the price keeps going down.
I personally don’t like the #646 Minots Ledge. The wave is too big or the lighthouse is too small.
I do give Harbour light credit for coming up with something new and unique.
But as I said before I will wait till it go’s for around 30 bucks on ebay and buy one for a nightlight.

DANIEL
Re: Mixed feelings on the new OE Minots Ledge. #97737 12/04/02 05:29 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I saw it at my dealer and it is still on the shelve. I'm not overly impressed with this one, but I do think that one of my daughters will get it for me as a Christmas present. THen I will have to find a place to put it. A smaller wave, more tower showing and no cord would have been nice. Angry waves don't reflect light. It may look good on my TV, but then what about dust. Decisions, decisions, decisions. . . .

Bert wink

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Mixed feelings on the new OE Minots Ledge. #97738 12/04/02 09:35 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I hate open editions but I will make an exception in this case because it is not competing with the LE Minot's Ledge. I think it is totally different and because of this fact I bought one. Because it is an open edition I will modify it to fit my scheme. I intend to eliminate the power cord for display purposes by cutting the cord off and mounting a female connector in the base and a male connector to the power cord so If I want to display with light all I do is plug into the base and then apply power. I'm also going to change the bulb in the wave to a lower wattage so the wave light does not overpower the blinking light. After all, it is an open edition(not a GLOW)and nothing will take away from the future value of it so why not modify to suit your own tastes?

Rich cool

Rich
Re: Mixed feelings on the new OE Minots Ledge. #97739 12/04/02 10:27 PM
shiulong Offline
Wacko
Wacko
When I first saw the picture of this thing my first thought was "My could anything look so tacky, and how could HL do this!" The first instant I saw it for real, we bought it! It is a keeper and it will go on the couch end table between my two Anchor Bay's. While I say we, it was really a gift from my wife because of the 1-4-3. This is a woman with great taste, if I do say so myself. This piece could also find itself on the gift list to some of our friends. Unfortunately, my dealer sold out mucho fast, almost as fast as the christmas piece!

Chuck laugh

bigdragon
Re: Mixed feelings on the new OE Minots Ledge. #97740 12/05/02 09:09 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I'm glad you're happy with it, Chuck. It is well done but to those collectors who display their HLs in curios, there is no way to put that piece in their because of the cord.

Take a peek at eBay and see how many appeared instantly on auction. Part of this may have to do with the fact it is an open edition. I have #23. Ten years from now somebody may have #23023.

It was a new innovation from Harbour Lights. It's a costly piece at $99. I'd rather spend that kind of money on a limited edition that fits in with my displays.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: Mixed feelings on the new OE Minots Ledge. #97741 12/05/02 12:16 PM
Ron Offline
I see they are allready on E-Bay for a Buy it now price of 75.00. From 99.00to 75.00 in two weeks??

Re: Mixed feelings on the new OE Minots Ledge. #97742 12/05/02 05:07 PM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I personally like it. I bought it to put on my entertainment cent over the television so the cord won't be seen anyway. Mine is to remind me of the wonderful life I have with Edith and corny as it may sound "I love you" is how I feel. And she has been my light in the storms for sometime now. So, for me the cord is not a issue. smile

Re: Mixed feelings on the new OE Minots Ledge. #97743 12/06/02 02:02 AM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
I personally don't really like this one, saw it at Rosemont. My wife, however, really does. I should get it yet this week from my dealer. It's probably the first time we didn't agree on a Harbour Light piece!

Bud
Re: Mixed feelings on the new OE Minots Ledge. #97744 12/06/02 04:45 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I agree with you, Bud. There's nothing really wrong with it but the regular HL LEs are far more appealing.

smile Bob smile

Re: Mixed feelings on the new OE Minots Ledge. #97745 12/08/02 08:49 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Yup, now that I finally received the minots ledge, I have to agree with the statement,

"Mixed feelings", "Award Winner vs Flop"

Personally, I don't like it. This could have been an excellent piece but the acrylic water, white base that stands on tiny feet and a "un-pluggable" electrical cord really hampers this piece.

The thing is, Old Minots Ledge has great potential with the old tower not ever being made before by HL, so it is sort of like a LE, and the lighted fresnel lens in the tower is an awesone touch. But, for $100 big ones, this receives two thumbs down from me unless you can pick it up somewhere for less than $50.

I realize this was created for a special occasion and I respect that, but it could have been made 2x better with a few more modifications and a slight reduction in its SRP.

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: Mixed feelings on the new OE Minots Ledge. #97746 12/09/02 01:22 AM
Dick Johnson Offline
We have had our piece for a few weeks now and it has grown on us. We are using ours as a TV light in the TV room. My wife has kind of come attached to it since I explained to her about the 1-4-3 significance. We just happened to be cuddled up on the sofa with a glass of wine, and the story really fit. Now we just enjoy the light as a nice addition to our room. I am glad it was designed to be a "working" light instead of a display only like the rest of our pieces.

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users