Print Thread
Restoring New Canal Through Bake Sales... #79661 10/23/05 01:29 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Referring to this discussion about the sad state of New Canal Light

Have you LOOKED at those photos?

New Canal is way beyond repair or restoration. The only hope is the building of a REPLICA today. Perhaps some of the clapboard or trim might be put in place once a new bulding is built as a token.

What's left of the light can only serve today by having its dimensions taken and, while it is being disassembled, some of the building techniques studied can be better seen in order to rebuild the replica in the same way.

Of course like all else that needs to be built in the aftermath of the twin damsels of destruction (Katrina and Rita), it needs to be constructed stronger and on more protected grounds.

With so much else to do in the Gulf Area (ours and the other one in the mideast), do we have the resources (spiritual and financial) to take on a project that replaces an 'obsolete' non-functioning building? West Rigolets was left to rot and die. Why not just let New Canal do the same?

With the 'Lighthouse Community' getting behind the project, it could happen.

Should it? Why? How should it be paid for?

[At this point in my original post, I ranted about some political issues which I've self-deleted but which are referenced by the next two member posts. I left the title the same.]

Re: Restoring New Canal Through Bake Sales... #79662 10/23/05 03:47 AM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
John, I thought we did not allow political rants on this board, or are they only allowed when certain "special" people want to break the rules that have kept this board surprisingly tame.

Eric
Re: Restoring New Canal Through Bake Sales... #79663 10/23/05 12:58 PM
Zachary Offline
You should leave it, but, in my opinion, West Rigolets was left to rot, but it was owned by a private owner, New Canal is Coast Guard property and was used as a Life Saving Station and an Aid To Navigation. I believe it can be fixed, somehow. I read somewhere that they wanted to restore it as a symbol of new hope for New Orleans. If it is saved, it'll probably be dis-assembled and moved, which is good. I don't know how it'll be done but I do hope that it will get done somehow.

Re: Restoring New Canal Through Bake Sales... #79664 10/23/05 01:07 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Well, I'm not sure about the part in the quote block , especially with all the debate over politics and the CF lately. But I do think you're right about rebuilding the lighthouse.

I'd love to see it rebuilt with all the existing parts just as much as all of you would. But looking at the photos, I don't know if it's possible.

I think that, at the very, very least, the second storey and up will have to be separated from the first storey, which is beyond repair. Maybe, if they just separated it right now and laid the top down next to the light, there would be a chance. The first floor isn't even worth saving - it's basically a wall and a stairwell.

The second storey seems repairable, even if it's not in great shape now. The tower and lantern are both seemingly tip-top. It's really just the first floor.

My thought for here is the same as Cape St. George - take the pieces, put them into storage, and deal with them after the more important parts of NO are back on track - people's houses, fundamental businesses, etc. Once NOLA is able to operate as a city again, take the lighthouse, build a new first storey, and rebuild the original light on top.

I don't know if it's COMPLETELY hopeless...but if there's any way that they can get a crane and a couple of guys with saws over there, they can at least put the top of the light down right next to its original site right now.

Of course, two things might be wrong with my "master plan" - 1, I know diddly squat about construction. For all I know, the light could be a goner, no hope. 2, with the state NOLA is in right now, who knows if they even have the equipment available to fix it.

This is going to be interesting to watch. But no matter what, I think New Orleans needs to have a New Canal Lighthouse, whether it's the original or a replica. I guess it's one of those solidarity-pride things.

Re: Restoring New Canal Through Bake Sales... #79665 11/16/05 01:27 AM
beachcomber Offline
Does anyone have an update on New Canal? Did it finally collapse totally or is it holding on?

beachcomber
Re: Restoring New Canal Through Bake Sales... #79666 11/18/05 08:04 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
New Canal is way beyond repair or restoration.
I must disagree. Have you ever seen the pictures of the keepers house at Currituck before it was restored? It begged to have a match put to it. Once, I was told about West Rigolets, let it fall, it will be easier to build a duplicate. That may be true in a practical sense, however, there is something missing with all new parts, like workmenship. Locally they made a replica of Fort Christmas as the original had rotted away many moons ago, but they did too good of a job, the fort is too perfect. The original was built in less than one week, the replica took one year. Yes better to have a replica then nothing, but better to have at least some of the orginal in the project. Not only that, those who save the Light will continue to work hard for that Light and to pass on the stories etc.

There is a new car that looks like a classic, but I bet most people, given the choice, would take the restored classic. (Sorry, I can't think of which car it is.)

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Restoring New Canal Through Bake Sales... #79667 11/19/05 02:20 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Here is a link to the lastest on New Canal Lighthouse: http://www.lighthousefoundation.org/newsroom/national_newcanalprogress_2005nov17.htm

Sounds encouraging to me. smile

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Restoring New Canal Through Bake Sales... #79668 11/19/05 02:41 PM
beachcomber Offline
It sounds very encouraging. Thank you for posting this update. Thus far, it sounds like maybe they are cutting the red tape pretty quickly. I hope so for the sake of New Canal.

beachcomber
Re: Restoring New Canal Through Bake Sales... #79669 11/30/05 09:51 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Encouraging? Have you seen TODAY'S photos?

New Canal collapsed.

Of course the optimists say "Now we won't have to spend money 'shoring it up' -- we can spend it all on restoring it."

Better take a quick look at the kindling pile now !

Re: Restoring New Canal Through Bake Sales... #79670 11/30/05 10:18 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
You seem awful happy that it collapsed.

Re: Restoring New Canal Through Bake Sales... #79671 11/30/05 11:45 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by ericlighthouse:
You seem awful happy that it collapsed.
I'm not happy. I'm just contrarian on this issue.

And I was mad about how things were going in New Orleans (still am - don't seem much better 3 months later.) Heaven help other parts of the country if we have natural or man-caused disasters of this magnitude. Can you imagine your life disrupted like this?

With all the needs of the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast, our concern for a little lighthouse kind of pales. One estimate I heard on the radio was it could take 20 years for New Orleans to recover economically from this disaster.

But back to New Canal. If and when it gets put together, it's not going to be a 'restoration' it's going to be a 'replica.' They are going to build an exact replica and perhaps use 10% of the old stuff on the 90% of new.

We've got to call it what it is. Replica. Not Restoration.

Imagine you've got four fenders from a 1917 Model T Ford. You want to 'restore' this vehicle. Fortunately, they probably make NOS ("New Old Stock" [parts]) for all the things you need to complete your 'restoration.' But do you have a 'restored' Model T when you are done?

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. smile

Re: Restoring New Canal Through Bake Sales... #79672 11/30/05 11:46 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
That's depressing, though I saw it coming. Lasting three months is pretty good, though, for a light in that state.

The sad thing is the lantern room. If they had been able to remove that before, then it was in perfect shape. It would have been a great way to crown off a replica. Sad...

But, at least, the way it collapsed, everything is pretty much there...it's easier to replicate and restore (the latter in the loosest form of the word).

Don't know if any of you watch NBC Nightly News, but today and yesterday, they've been reporting from NOLA...yesterday from the Superdome, today from the Ninth Ward. Today, watching Brian Williams standing in front of what used to be houses blocks away from one of the burst levees, it put New Canal into perspective for me.

The lighthouse was right near one of the canals, and maybe a levee (I don't remember). Even if it wasn't flooding of 9W magnitude, it's still a miracle that it survived this much this long. Look at lights like Chandeleur and West Rigolets - they're completely, 100% gone - no trace left. At least here, they have somewhat-whole ruins to work with.

I guess it's a sort of lemons/lemonade thing...

Re: Restoring New Canal Through Bake Sales... #79673 12/01/05 04:22 AM
beachcomber Offline
Quote:
With all the needs of the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast, our concern for a little lighthouse kind of pales.
Of course, you are absolutely right. My stance, however, is that someone has to take care of some of the concerns which, compared to the toll on the humans involved, may seem petty. Some felt that it was preposterous to rescue the animals, but someone had to come to the rescue of those poor, defenseless and voiceless creatures. And someone has to care for the historic treasures which will disappear if no one cares. The human beings have to come first but what would life be for the people of New Orleans if all that made New Orleans what it was were lost?

beachcomber
Re: Restoring New Canal Through Bake Sales... #79674 12/01/05 11:16 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Excellent point, Grace. What is needed is a complete recovery. And we as Americans must share in the total costs, regardless of where we live.

Prioritizing the needs to come first, certainly.

And not pushing the payment for this return to pre-Katrina conditions off onto our children, grand-children and great-grandchildren.

Re: Restoring New Canal Through Bake Sales... #79675 12/13/05 04:06 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
If y'all want to get all ranty about po-lit-i-cal stuff, its OK here in the FSB. Just behave like the good little boomers you are and don't turn the place into a free fire zone. Stick to the issues and stay away from ad hominems. Its ok to be piquanty but not punchy. :-)

With that out of the way...

The question of reconstructing a largely deconstructed building of historical significance versus restoration is an interesting topic. To use JC's analogy, how much of the old car must remain intact to claim it is a restoration instead of a replica? I don't know the answer - is there curator in the house? What? Not even a docent? And to what end? Seems the goal is pretty much the same in either case - not letting history slip into dust. At what cost to the present is the past worth keeping? There's bound to be a 'Restorationist Review' out there with oodles of footnoted articles on this topic.

New Canal bake sale? feh...

How 'bout a giant HL version of New Canal? Ah, come on Bill ... pretty pleeeese.... let's go out with a bang! Yes thats right - a full size life size resinous replicant. Of course it'd have to be cast in China, but there could be a huge ceremony and National Geographic documentary as it was brought over on a boat. There's an auto-ship for ya! HL could even do a model of this model replete with detached cupola and a crane. Talk about life imitating art. Kinda like the Kon Tiki of lighthouse restoration - a giant GLOW if you will. Since it *is* Louisiana,(you know Louis, the Sun King, Le Roi himself) maybe the French would chip in with a fresnel. What, er, no French? ... you say you wanna 'freedom lens' not a fresnel lens? Hey - go for it!

Maybe a cute little grey plaque saying 1 of 1.

Rgds,
Saint Red Beans & Rice

Oh, yes ... what is this - the Gas Price forum? Ah, come on. Maybe we should hire LHD to make Limited Edition of the ol FSB in her glory days. Where's the Beaver? Where's the Artster? Gas Prices ... whattsamatter ya'll turning into a bunch of soccer moms in Prius' and Insights?

Re: Restoring New Canal Through Bake Sales... #79676 12/13/05 10:52 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Timothy, that was a great piece! smile The vision of a life size harbour light is just priceless. laugh

Re: Restoring New Canal Through Bake Sales... #79677 12/13/05 01:41 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
We'd have to relay on one of the Mighty Servant semi-submersible ships to haul that heavy casting from Hong Kong to New Orleans.

And on which side do you want the DC plug outlet?

Re: Restoring New Canal Through Bake Sales... #79678 12/13/05 02:33 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Your unique outlook on things has been missed "Oh Mighty Sage", aka "Saint Red Beans & Rice", aka Saint Timothy laugh

Melody
Re: Restoring New Canal Through Bake Sales... #79679 12/18/05 07:58 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
How 'bout a giant HL version of New Canal?

Hey labor would be affordable being China and their .25/week salary but the shipping would be astronomical!! eek :p

Steve

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,025 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users