Well, here we are, on our big vacation for the year. As often as possible, there will be a live report from the field.

Day 1, 8-3-2000

We left home at 9:50 AM. We stopped and had a picnic luch at a rest stop then drove on through to Kentucky, where it was nice weather until it started drizzle, then DOWNPOUR. It rained so hard that we slowed down dramaticaly, then decided to pull off the road altogether along with many others. then through Tennessee (with it's convienient parking lot outside Nashville, or was that I-65?) and into Alabama. When we got to Alabama, we decided to stay near Huntsville.

Day 2, 8-4-2000

Today we went to the US Space and Rocket Center. The museum was FANTASTIC, a must see. We even saw an IMAX movie called "Destiny in Space." It was about space exploration and was an amazing experience. After lunch (deli sandwiches at the food court) we went outside to the Rocket Park. There are many rocket engines and the rockets themselves. 2 Saturn V's (one on it's side divided into stages, the other standing up) and many other early rockets and a Saturn I. We also went to the Shuttle Park, where they have a shuttle on all of the rockets and fuel tanks as they are before launch.
Next, we went on the bus tour which took us to the Redstone Arsenal which is where many of the NASA testing grounds are. We went into a building where we looked down from windows at components of the International Space Station as they were being built. We also went to a smaller Rocket Park on the base where there was a Saturn I, V-2 and others. finally, there was the engine test site and the original one that was built for some of NASA's earliest engines. It was built of 3 railroad tanker cars (w/o wheeels) connected and buried in earth with a periscope up through the top. Then, we rode back and got in the car. We drove to Mobile where we are now. First stop tomorrow: the USS Alabama and the USS Drum. Also, possibly, the first light of our trip (Mobile Point Light, which is Lamar's current suggestion in the Wish List, which I wouldn't mind seeing )

From Mobile, Alabama...

Jakers

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 08-05-2000).]

Jakers