Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Transatlantic Lighthousing #60662 08/03/07 05:43 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
As some of you know, in addition to being a lighthouse wacko, I'm also an ocean liner geek, especially concerning the QE2. With the announcement of her retirement next year, we're taking a last opportunity to experience a transatlantic crossing on a real ocean liner.

Which means we're going from a major harbor in NYC to a major harboUr in Southampton, UK. And that means lighthouses!

Thanks to the NY harbor cruise in June, I'm not that worried about that end's lighthousing. But when we get to the UK, I want to see whatever I can. We're not planning on spending a lot of time in the UK due to the pitiful value of the dollar, so no lighthousing trip will be in order.

I don't know the UK as much as I do the US, though. I found an article from a former keeper of the Needles light that mentioned watching the QE2 come down the Solent, so I'm guessing we may see that light (though maybe a bit early). I think the Lizard Light was the terminus of the old crossing time recording, but it'll probably be VERY early morning passing there. Not sure what there is coming down the Solent and into Southampton (when it might finally be light). I read something in a thread somewhere about saving the QE2 in Soton (she's going to be a hotel in Dubai) that mentioned the pitiful condition of the Calshot Spit Lightship. And that's the extent of what I know.

So....for both our European experts and anyone who's ever sailed into or out of Southampton...what do you think I'll see? I'd love to add a third country and second continent to my light list.

Re: Transatlantic Lighthousing #60663 08/06/07 10:23 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Happy UK lighthousing, Greg !!!

Hope your trip is everything you expect it to be !!!

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users