Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cedar Keys & Egmont Key Lighthouses #65743 12/14/06 11:22 PM
Bill and Judy Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I am not sure about starting another topic. If I interrupted the previous one before it was over, please accept my apology.

We are driving to Florida on Sunday for the holidays and on the return trip we were thinking about trying to see Cedar Keys. I heard it is only open once a year but we were wondering if it can be seen well enough for photographing. Are there charters out there? Any suggestions? We would probably be seeing it around Jan. 3rd if possible.

It is only one of four we haven't seen in Florida. Egmont Key is one of the other ones and it is practically in my hometown of St. Pete.! I think there is a charter that goes out there but I don't know much about getting out there either. Any help or suggestions on these lights would be appreciated.

Judy

Re: Cedar Keys & Egmont Key Lighthouses #65744 12/15/06 02:03 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Egmont can be seen from Fort DeSoto if you can't find a boat to take you out.

As far as Sea Horse Key (Ceder Key), from a boat you can see just the very top of the lighthouse. Also the island is off limits the first four months of the year due to birds nesting. Also if you manage to get on the island, there are rattle snakes...that said I never saw one the 3 times I have been there, but I make sure to make noise as I walk. It is open to climb one weekend in October for the seafood festival and boats make runs to the island.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Cedar Keys & Egmont Key Lighthouses #65745 12/15/06 02:20 PM
Bill and Judy Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Growing up in Florida, all I need to hear is "rattle snakes" and being the wimp I am around snakes, I lose interest fast!! Even going to Ross Allen's Snake Farm when I was little grossed me out! Maybe we'll try to wait until October!

Thanks, Eric, for the info. We'll let you know what we decide.

Judy

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users